Wrap-Around Bridge Shootout

D-log

• Members

I'm in the process of upgrading my SG Jr, and I'm looking for some new bridge options. I have 2 from GFS that I'm considering:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-Lightweight-Adjustable-Intonated-Wrapround-Bridge_p_892.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html

What other affordable options are out there? I know a lot of people will recommend the pigtail option, but that's way out of my budge, preferably no more than $4.) I'd like to here any opinions you have. Thanks

• Members

perfect intonation is overrated. millions of players get by with a non adjustable bridge on acoustics. Assuming your bridge posts are in the right spot a proper compensated bridge will give pretty good intonation

I pulled off the TOM on my Gretsch for a Compton compensated and couldn't be happier.

• Members

perfect intonation is overrated. millions of players get by with a non adjustable bridge on acoustics. Assuming your bridge posts are in the right spot a proper compensated bridge will give pretty good intonation

I pulled off the TOM on my Gretsch for a Compton compensated and couldn't be happier.

That's the thing... It's an epihpone SG Junior, and the posts appear to be a little uneven. How will this effect my action? Also, I read on the GFS website that the aluminum bridge will enhance my tine. This fly's in the face of the whole "More mass will result in better tone" argument I've been hearing. Am I missing something

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Ltd-Ed-SG-Junior-Electric-Guitar-106503261-i1819178.gc

• Members

That's the thing... It's an epihpone SG Junior, and the posts appear to be a little uneven. How will this effect my action? Also, I read on the GFS website that the aluminum bridge will enhance my tine. This fly's in the face of the whole "More mass will result in better tone" argument I've been hearing. Am I missing something

Uneven posts won't affect your action at all. They may affect your intonation marginally depending on how accurate your ears are and how uneven the posts are. If they are really out of wack then something with adjustable screws at the posts will do it.

Bear in mind that GFS (quite rightly) are trying to sell stuff, so you should really check what the product does for you. Try to find out what other people say about "lightweight" bridges. Enhancing may not mean the same to everybody.

• Members

I have two builds with the Wilkinson aluminum bridge from GFS. I'm quite pleased with them but to warn you, to me the aluminum is bright sounding. It might not be what you're looking for. On the intonation side, having the ability to move the g and b string independent of the rest of the bridge helped huge in getting the intonation right.

• Members

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Ltd-Ed-SG-Junior-Electric-Guitar-106503261-i1819178.gc

The uneven posts are not big deal, there is a set-screw in the bridges to adjust the bridge against the posts.

5169_1lg.jpg

• Members

So, what's a good replacement for an import spaced (3 7/32", 81.7mm) wraparound bridge? I'm not that anal about precise adjustment, it's just that I suspect the pot metal bridge on my Eastwood P90 Special is contributing to the muffled tone of the guitar. I imagine the $15 zinc "chrome plated" bridges won't sound that much different than what I have on there, but I'm having a hard time finding an appropriately spaced aluminum bridge. I'm not into the Badass style, the Wilkinson looks OK, but I'd love a simple, Gibson style compensated bridge. The Pigtail looks cool, but it's out of my price range. Anyone?

Archived