The First Act SFA Sheena and Lola guitars are back in stock for $99

Tweedledee

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sold out. Thankfully.

I've gone through two delias. The first was a CE530 bolt on in red (more like purple). Didn't like the color, returned it. The second was a CE540 set neck in red, but the tailpiece was offset about 1" to the side (ouch). I had just bought a telecaster so I decided I didn't neet the Delia and returned it

For the scratch, the CE540 is a monster semi-hollow. I quite regret not exchanging the CE540 for one in better shape.

And now I have a Yamaha FG700 acoustic beater showing up today, so probably best the open box Delia is sold out. But had the CE540 open box still be available, I woulda hit it.

• Members

I have an LTD EC1000 on the way, otherwise, I'd HAVE to order one of them.

Thankfully, they don't have any particular combo I'm drooling over. If they had the Lola in trans black with the pickup combo from the Sheena, I couldn't possibly resist.

Ahhh... who am I kidding. If the blue Sheenas are still there next Tuesday, I'll get one. :facepalm:

• Members

I never in my life thought I'd buy a $100 guitar, it seems insane, and maybe I am insane, but I just ordered a lola based on HC buzz alone. you guys better be right.

my traditional line of thinking is that anything below the $300 mark is going to be garbage and a waste of time. I'm taking a big leap here.

• Members

The single pup ones are bolt-on neck not neck thru like the twin pup models(diff body wood also). I say spend the extra $20, and get probly twice the guitar.

Good to know!

(although - there's kind of a big difference between "neck thru" and "set neck" - Vetmxer, I'm guessing you meant "set neck"?)

• Members

Oh my Gawd, that thing sounds better than your hotrodded Esquire.:eek: Some very nice usable tonez there.:thu:

Please tell me something to dissuade me from ordering one. It's not the money but the principle and my wife would surely crucify me and probably force me to sell another guitar (she imposed a limit of 12). At least tell me that the frets are tiny, string spacing is cramped at the nut, that it doesn't set up well or stay in tune. :confused:

• Members
do they ship with a gig bag/case? also, why don't they take paypal?
:mad:

As far as I know, only the VE591 and VW models ship in a padded gig bag. The others come in a box. (At least my Sheena and Paul Westerberg came in boxes.)

• Members

I never in my life thought I'd buy a $100 guitar, it seems insane, and maybe I am insane, but I just ordered a lola based on HC buzz alone. you guys better be right.

my traditional line of thinking is that anything below the $300 mark is going to be garbage and a waste of time. I'm taking a big leap here.

Don't think of it as a $100 guitar; think of it as a $300 guitar. The QC at this price point can be a bit spotty, but the good specimens are as nice as any other $300-$500 guitars on the market right now. And I think the pickups sound pretty damn good.

• Members

I have ordered three sheenas. One was returned because of a stripped truss rod head. Too bad because that one was playable out of the box.

The other two needed some work. The nut slots needed to be lowered, a few high frets spot-leveled, pick up heights adjusted, and intonation set. After that, these are stellar guitars. I may do a full fret level and dressing to get the action lowered.

The pickups sound great (especially the neck pickup), and the hardware does not need replacing in my opinion. This guitar has great sustain on chords and I dig the design of the TOM bridge. The flame top is nice for the money.

If you are willing to accept a few minor finish flaws that you have to look hard for, this guitar is a steal. Best bargain of 2009 so far.

• Members

I don't know if these questions have answers, but:

1. What is the neck carve/thickness on the Lola like?

2. What size are the frets on the Lola?

3. What is the nut width on the Lola?

4. How much do the Lola's weigh?

5. Can you replace the humbuckers with standard humbuckers?

6. What is the scale length of the neck on the Lola?

• Members

Well you bastards have gotten me into another guitar I don't need. Well, I didn't have a humbucker guitar, so I just ordered a Lola. I tried to buy one from a guy here in the spam thread last month and he thought it was worth about three times what I just paid. So now I feel vindicated.

So does anyone else think that the Lola would be the perfect guitar to mount a bigsby to?? Looks like it would be awesome with one.

• Members

Well you bastards have gotten me into another guitar I don't need. Well, I didn't have a humbucker guitar, so I just ordered a Lola. I tried to buy one from a guy here in the spam thread last month and he thought it was worth about three times what I just paid. So now I feel vindicated.

So does anyone else think that the Lola would be the perfect guitar to mount a bigsby to?? Looks like it would be awesome with one.

Well, that tailpiece doesn't really come off like your standard stoptail so I don't know how you would get a Bigsby to work.

• Members
well you have one and I don't, so I wouldn't know, but there must be some way to get the stop tail off isn't there?

You can get it off, sure. It's not really a stop tail though...not in the Gibby sense. I'd describe it as a string-thru tailpiece. I haven't peeked under mine to see if it's got six holes or one cavity from the back plate to the tailpiece.

Also, somebody asked about swapping these pickups for standard HB's. I can't say for sure that a standard HB will work, but the rings on these are not rectangular. Hopefully a standard HB ring will cover whatever cavity is under it. :idk:

Archived