In my perfect world, none of my guitars would contain one molecule of wood.

John Backlund

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you need to go back to third grade science class because it appears you were sleeping when they covered molecules, which are merely two or more chemically bonded atoms of different types, which include just about any substance that is not a pure element.

You know? Things like wood, or alloy metal, or your brain, or the desk you slept at in class that day.

Wood is not a molecule?

Wow. I would go slap your third grade teacher in the teeth if she taught me that.

Hmmm!, It could be that he was saying that no molecules are made of wood, which is what is implied in my somewhat casual and carelessly worded thread title.

• Members

I think you need to go back to third grade science class because it appears you were sleeping when they covered molecules, which are merely two or more chemically bonded atoms of different types, which include just about any substance that is not a pure element.

You know? Things like wood, or alloy metal, or your brain, or the desk you slept at in class that day.

Wood is not a molecule?

Wow. I would go slap your third grade teacher in the teeth if she taught me that.

I'm guessing his point is not that wood is not made of molecules, but that wood is made up of many different kinds of molecule. There is no "wood" molecule.

• Members

I'm guessing his point is not that wood is not made of molecules, but that wood is made up of many different kinds of molecule. There is no "wood" molecule.

Ok, maybe I am getting too carried away with this and apologies to the dude, and I see your point, but while I'm at it, and not one to ever know when to let something go until I have made a complete ass out of myself....

In fact, as long as you have a finite piece of wood, with a finite mass, then, yes, theoretically, every single atom in that piece could be accounted for, all the various elements accounted for, and yes, you actually could draw out the exact chemical formula for that piece of wood.

Ok. I think I am a complete asshole now.

Maybe I'll go try to write the chemical structure for an asshole now.

• Members

Ok, maybe I am getting too carried away with this and apologies to the dude, and I see your point, but while I'm at it, and not one to ever know when to let something go until I have made a complete ass out of myself....

In fact, as long as you have a finite piece of wood, with a finite mass, then, yes, theoretically, every single atom in that piece could be accounted for, all the various elements accounted for, and yes, you actually could draw out the exact chemical formula for that piece of wood.

Ok. I think I am a complete asshole now.

Maybe I'll go try to write the chemical structure for an asshole now.

You could write a chemical formula, but it should reflect that it is made up of many different molecules. Mostly cellulose, hemicellulose of various kinds, lignin, plus lots of other {censored}. Each of those molucules are fairly complex in their own right.

The formula for asshole would be similarly complex.

• Members

You could write a chemical formula, but it should reflect that it is made up of many different molecules. Mostly cellulose, hemicellulose of various kinds, lignin, plus lots of other {censored}. Each of those molucules are fairly complex in their own right.

The formula for asshole would be similarly complex.

I was thinking more along the lines of what the smallest piece of wood that could still be considered wood would be.

That would be a cell!

In a sense there is no 'wood' molecule, even though wood is made up of molecules. Just like there is no 'cat' molecule, or 'dog' molecule, etc. etc.

• Members

You could always buy one of the Rogue Aluminator guitars they were selling back around 94 if I recall. Stratish body made of aluminum with chambers cut out...essentially bunches of handles if you want. You could probably find one of those cheap, because they were POS Rogue guitars ;)

• Members

You could always buy one of the Rogue Aluminator guitars they were selling back around 94 if I recall. Stratish body made of aluminum with chambers cut out...essentially bunches of handles if you want. You could probably find one of those cheap, because they were POS Rogue guitars
;)

Nah, the last thing the world needs is another strat variant, I was thinking something more along these lines.....born to be plastic as hell.......(shown with optional imitation maple fretboard, of course).

kkkkk.jpg

• Members

Nah, the last thing the world needs is another strat variant, I was thinking something more along these lines.....born to be plastic as hell.......(shown with optional
imitation
maple fretboard, of course).

kkkkk.jpg

That's really nice. If I had infinite gas I'd own one (if you built it). I keep trying to get a builder to let me fabricate something for a guitar but lets face it, anyone good enough to build a guitar from scratch can do it for themselves besides the glass, which is fairly useless to most guitarists (though make uniquely resonant slide guitars).

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions of existing synthetic material-built guitars such as the Switch, but I was specifically thinking about some of the guitars of my own design that are currently being produced using various woods. With a few notable exceptions, 'my' guitars are usually 100% covered in two-tone paint schemes, at least if built true to the original concepts.

Archived