My gods, the wiring horror! (Short comment about the stock (?) wiring in my Jackson)

bubkus_jones

• Members

So, a little over a year ago I purchased a Jackson Dinky (2h, floyd, maple fretboard with offset dots). Worked fine. Eventually swapped out the stock licenced floyd for an OFR I had for a project guitar (which is pretty much dead).

The last couple months have given me a lot of issues with the electronics, but I couldn't really be bothered to fix them (had no amp so I played acoustically anyways). Got my amp back, and decided to fix it up so she's all good and playable.

Open up the damn thing and the wires are tangled and spread everywhere, it looks like a freakin birds nest. Worse than that, several of the wires are spliced together from shorter segments, as if they couldn't find the proper length and had to scrounge for scraps. It's no wonder I've been having issues.

No pics, as I have no camera, I just had to vent. I'm really hoping that one of the previous owners decided to open it up and rewire it for some messed up reason.

Anyways, has anyone else encountered such a rather substandard bit of wiring from a decent quality production instrument?

• Members

That's the only thing I can think of to explain it, unless Jackson in the early-mid 90's (I'm pretty sure it's a 93-94) had some wonky quality control

Also, does anyone know of a colour diagram for the stock jackson pickups (I'm assuming they're stock, can't find any IDs/logos to say different)?

EDIT::

Ok, scratch the rewiring for today. I just took out the pickups to check for any sort of model/brand info again, and there was even more shoddy splicing done. Looks like a previous owner trimmed the pickup lead 2 inches from the pickup and then said "Oh, {censored}e!" and tried to tape the rest back on. Looks like I'm going to need to order all new stuff.

• Members

Hmm. I swapped the neck single coil in my Japanese dinky and the wiring looks about the same as any stock guitar I've opened up. Everything was very neat inside, with clean soldering, proper wire lead lengths, and so on. Sounds like someone {censored}ed with yours before you got to it.

• Members

Open up the damn thing and the wires are tangled and spread everywhere

Did the control compartment look anything like this? If so, it's part of Jackson's renewed commitment to nature.and dual-use of resources.

Pictures+of+Baby-Birds.jpg

• Members
if this was a Gibson guitar this thread would be 15 pages by now about thier QC. Instead, its like a fart in the wind....

I"ll start: Bought a Gibson 57 DC at a yard sale for $3..........had a broken string........Gibson QC sucks. :mad:

• Members

That makes sense. Eh, probably going to toss the neck and body on craigslist or something.

Sadly, no camera, and I've junked the old electronics.

The pickups could still be fine...all you have to do is extend the leads on them. The pots should also be fine. Wire is cheap. You have to solder perhaps 10-15 connections to have it all working. That is not too hard.

• Members

There's no way the wiring was stock that way. I've owned tons of Jacksons from 1988 to current and even the cheapest heaps I've come across still had quality wiring jobs inside (even if the components themselves were rather budget oriented).

• Members

The pickups could still be fine...all you have to do is extend the leads on them. The pots should also be fine. Wire is cheap. You have to solder perhaps 10-15 connections to have it all working. That is not too hard.

If I was going to, I'd replace the pots and switch, anyways. They're cheap enough, and it'd give me a cleaner point to start with. However, it was generally the last guitar I picked up, and the one that spent most of it's time in it's case. It was mainly the body. The 7/8 scale size, with the light-weight basswood, and the overall cut of it, it just felt, umm, dainty (?), insignificant (?). It just felt like there wasn't much there. I've found I like something with a little more heft and substance. It was a nice guitar, just not for me.

So, I'll probably just sell the neck and body, use the proceeds to either upgrade some parts on my Strat clone(new bridge, new tuners, non-plastic nut) or put it towards the Epi LP I've been looking at (or maybe one of those Sterling Axis', played one the last time I was out browsing).

• Members
There's no way the wiring was stock that way. I've owned tons of Jacksons from 1988 to current and even the cheapest heaps I've come across still had quality wiring jobs inside (even if the components themselves were rather budget oriented).

I've poked around a few Jacksons of varying age and my experience has been the same, they're always pretty neatly wired.

Archived