fretless

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I own two, and love them both:

IMGP0135-1.jpg

H535 (semi-hollow), bought in 2000.

Not a big fan of the figured woods, to be honest, but I tested quite a few 335 copies at the time, and this one was the clear winner.

H530_2-1.jpg

H530 (full hollow), bought in 2009.

Pretty much perfect.

• Members

I particularily like the H535. Just beautiful and i hear only good things about that model.

At the time I bought my H535, I was lucky enough to live both near a shop that sold Heritage guitars and next to their distributor for France. This allowed me to pick and choose among a few (they're otherwise still very hard to find in shops).

• Members

I don't doubt that. But it just means that there are dealers near you with the desire to get stuff like this. In what can best be described as "non-descript" U.S. cities you'd be hard-pressed to find music stores that stock low-volume brands ...

Yeah, they're not easy to find. I've only played three - one in a shop, the one I bought (was able to play in person before pulling the trigger), and one my friend bought after playing mine and liking it so much. One of those brands where you're going to have to take the leap. Buy used on eBay/online forums, keep your fingers crossed it's a good one, and assume you can sell it for what you got it for if it doesn't work out.

• Members

I don't doubt that. But it just means that there are dealers near you with the desire to get stuff like this. In what can best be described as "non-descript" U.S. cities you'd be hard-pressed to find music stores that stock low-volume brands ...

I work in a town of less than 20,000 people, and it's about as non-descript as you can get.. The now-closed mom and pop I used to visit all the time (the dude decided to move to where the palm trees sway) was a Heritage dealer. Sadly, despite all the warm fuzzies in this thread, of the 50 or so Heritages I've played at his shop, not once was I moved to grab my wallet. Not because "it wasn't a Gibson", but because none of them felt amazing to me. And it wasn't setup. The guy always took the time to make sure they played right and he's done a setup for me before, so I know he knew how to do the job.

• Members

I work in a town of less than 20,000 people, and it's about as non-descript as you can get.. The now-closed mom and pop I used to visit all the time (the dude decided to move to where the palm trees sway) was a Heritage dealer. Sadly, despite all the warm fuzzies in this thread, of the 50 or so Heritages I've played at his shop, not once was I moved to grab my wallet. Not because "it wasn't a Gibson", but because none of them felt amazing to me. And it wasn't setup. The guy always took the time to make sure they played right and he's done a setup for me before, so I know he knew how to do the job.

This is no blanket statement as I have tried ONE Heritage in my life and it so happens that I own it (H575). There was a honeymoon period in which I was kind of "proud" to own it (major facepalm here) and while it didn't wow me (many cosmetic flaws and unusual feel, heavy weight for a hollow body, etc), I was stupidly convinced that I would fall in love at second sight and come to like it. Now, the reverse happened and I completely failed to bond with it. The worse money I ever spent on an expensive guitar. This is no judgement on Heritage as a whole. Maybe i got a lemon or something. I hear many good things about many of the other models.

• Members

This is no blanket statement as I have tried ONE Heritage in my life and it so happens that I own it (H575). There was a honeymoon period in which I was kind of "proud" to own it (major facepalm here) and while it didn't wow me (many cosmetic flaws and unusual feel, heavy weight for a hollow body, etc), I was stupidly convinced that I would fall in love at second sight and come to like it. Now, the reverse happened and I completely failed to bond with it. The worse money I ever spent on an expensive guitar. This is no judgement on Heritage as a whole. Maybe i got a lemon or something. I hear many good things about many of the other models.

My experience is similar, though I never bought one. Found lots of finish flaws and the weight was absolutely insane on some of them (and I dig heavy guitars. My CT is 9lbs and my LP is almost 10lbs.). I've played enough Heritage guitars (he usually got in a new one every couple weeks for a 3-4 year period, and I probably played 90% of them..) to make a bold blanket statement: they're just not that impressive.

• Members

Weren't many of these workers the same ones who brought us all the Norlin era guitars?

The owners of the company started working for Gibson in the 1950's!!!!!!!! They have been hand shaping the necks since then. Some of the employees have been there 40 years as well....so recall all those 100K + instruments so highly sought after....these guys probably built those...so smoke that one:facepalm:

• Moderators

The owners of the company started working for Gibson in the 1950's!!!!!!!! They have been hand shaping the necks since then. Some of the employees have been there 40 years as well....so recall all those 100K + instruments so highly sought after....these guys probably built those...so smoke that one:facepalm:

OK, so if they started working for Gibson in the 50s, lets say 55 for the sake of arguement, and lets make em say 20 when they started, as any younger theyd be apprentices and wouldn't have done {censored} all to any 50s guitar cept mebbe rubbed a tad of dust off em, it's now 2012, so 2012 - 1955 = 57, and all those years shapin nibs can't be good on the fingers, so either all those Heritages are being made by 57+ year olds or younger people who have nothing to do with Gibson, and fyi those 100K+ "sought after" I presume you mean are the late 50s LPs? there were ~2000-7600 'Bursts (LP Std and Junior) made in 59, so they made 92000 in 58?

I fear sir, tis you who have some smoking to do;)

• Members

Do they deny making the 72-80 Norlin's?

Who gave the order to make those guitars....it wasn't the guy spraying the lacquer.

WTF is your point? The direction to do those retarded things came from the top....and everyone follwed suit or got the boot....just like 99% of anyother workplace.

Here is an interesting quote posted on the heritage site:

"My local luthier was offered a job at the Gibson Custom shop several years ago. Went down there, interviewed with them, showed them what he could do, they called him back and said they'd love to hire him...for get this, $8 an hour.... Not exactly an expert craftsman wage......"

• Members

OK, so if they started working for Gibson in the 50s, lets say 55 for the sake of arguement, and lets make em say 20 when they started, as any younger theyd be apprentices and wouldn't have done {censored} all to any 50s guitar cept mebbe rubbed a tad of dust off em, it's now 2012, so 2012 - 1955 = 57, and all those years shapin nibs can't be good on the fingers, so either all those Heritages are being made by 57+ year olds or younger people who have nothing to do with Gibson, and fyi those 100K+ "sought after" I presume you mean are the late 50s LPs? there were ~2000-7600 'Bursts (LP Std and Junior) made in 59, so they made 92000 in 58?

I fear sir, tis you who have some smoking to do;)

BTW...I am refering to price when I said 100k:facepalm: My mistake: I forgot to put a $ in.

Archived