Guitar choice - what does the forum think?

Henry Path

• Members

I get the difference between short long etc.. tenons. You're answering a question of tenon qualtiy, I'm asking a question of tenon existence. But I guess that doesn't address whether or not bolt on necks are tenons.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I get the difference between short long etc.. tenons. You're answering a question of tenon qualtiy, I'm asking a question of tenon existence. But I guess that doesn't address whether or not bolt on necks are tenons.

the tenon is the part where the neck meets the body. if a guitar didn't have one, you wouldn't be able to play it.

• Members

the tenon is the part where the neck meets the body. if a guitar didn't have one, you wouldn't be able to play it.

Yes... that's what I'm saying. This dude said the jaguar didn't have a tenon because it was bolt on.

• Members

Yes... that's what I'm saying. This dude said the jaguar didn't have a tenon because it was bolt on.

Which is true, because a tenon is 1/2 of a particular style of woodworking joint with the other half being a mortise. More info: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tenon

300px-Mortise_and_tenon_joint.svg.png

The bolt-on construction guitar doesn't have a tenon, as it has no physical joint between the two pieces of wood. The area on the neck of a bolt-on guitar is referred to as the heel. A guitar with bolt-on construction still consists of two disparate pieces, bolted together whereas in a set-neck instrument the two have been physically joined as one.

OP: I apologize for hijacking your thread. I couldn't make a recommendation between those three guitars as they're so radically different, as others have suggested.

How about one of these:

36917_l.jpg

• Members

Which is true, because a tenon is 1/2 of a glue joint with the other half being a mortise. More info:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tenon

The bolt-on construction guitar doesn't have a tenon, as it has no physical joint between the two pieces of wood. The area on the neck of a bolt-on guitar is referred to as the heel. A guitar with bolt-on construction still consists of two disparate pieces, bolted together whereas in a set-neck instrument the two have been physically joined as one.

OP: I apologize for hijacking your thread. I couldn't make a recommendation between those three guitars as they're so radically different, as others have suggested.

How about one of these:

36917_l.jpg

That's the answer I was looking for.

• Members

Looks like I'm going to be coming into a little bit of money. Wife says I should get the best guitar I can...maybe in an effort to fix my GAS once and for all
:lol:

Anyway the only stipulation is whatever I get's gotta be blue
. I've got it down to these three, I think - can't really go above them, price-wise.

I play predominantly indie/grungey stuff & U2-type stuff, although lately I've been writing a fair few rock and roll riffs.

Now I've got a Schecter PT tele w/ coil split & a Washburn superstrat for rock, so would it be better to go for the Doozie cos it's tonally very different, or one of the others? The Gibby of course is an amazing instrument, but is it too like what I already have, albeit far, far better?

So I was wondering what y'all thought. Cheers.
:wave:

:confused:

• Members

I would not avoid looking at some P-90 guitars. For indie - grunge stuff they work quite well and would not duplicate what you already have...

Something along theses lines....

charger_290_dsb_lg.jpg

EDIT: Reverend Charger 290....:D

• Members

Post 9 tells me nothing i didnt already know.

WTF mang is I have no idea. But enjoy your troll.

I want a blue guitar. Call it a tribute, if you like. Mang is man, mang.

And I'm not trolling. Terribly suspicious mind you have, old stick.

• Members

Wow. Oh yes.

The guitar I posted was a Gibson ES-137 Classic. I have one in silver. It's a great guitar, and wasn't nearly as expensive as an ES-335. The only thing I don't care for are the pickups; they're a little hotter than I typically like. But the neck is amazing, and the guitar plays very well.

• Members

The guitar I posted was a Gibson ES-137 Classic. I have one in silver. It's a great guitar, and wasn't nearly as expensive as an ES-335. The only thing I don't care for are the pickups; they're a little hotter than I typically like. But the neck is amazing, and the guitar plays very well.

It does look very much like what I'm after, to be honest - thank you. Price and looks more than acceptable to the Mrs, who walked past the PC with yr pic up and said "Wow! That's gorgeous!".

Is it a thinnish neck, then? What's it like unplugged, out of curiosity?

• Members

Too many types of guitars fall into that category, here are some criteria to narrow it down a bit :

- single coils (P90) / humbuckers

- solid body / semi-hollow / hollow body

BTW, That's serious dough. I'd get two for that kind of money.

Right, so what I haven't really got covered among my guitars...P90s & semi-hollow. Cos I have a Dano with lipsticks, a Schecter tele with buckers/coil split, & a Washburn superstrat with EMGs.

I HAVE thought about 2 guitars but this is kind of a chance to get a dream guitar, y'know? Not having to economise for once, a real treat.

Archived