Guitar choice - what does the forum think?

Henry Path

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It does look very much like what I'm after, to be honest - thank you. Price and looks more than acceptable to the Mrs, who walked past the PC with yr pic up and said "Wow! That's gorgeous!".

Is it a thinnish neck, then? What's it like unplugged, out of curiosity?

It has a very loud and acoustically resonant tone unplugged, but it's my only semi-hollowbody, so I don't have much of a frame of reference. It's definitely stronger than my LPs, teles, or my SG.

The neck is the fattest of any of my guitars. It's pretty similar to the Gibson Historic '50s necks, not the '50s necks on the Studios etc. It measures close to an inch at the first fret. Sorry if that ruins the guitar for you. Maybe give one a try in a local shop (if you can) to see if it works for you.

• Members

Of the three in the OP, on visuals alone I'd gravitate straight to the Dusenberg, but then I don't much care for rosewood boards on Fender types, and I'm very over Les Pauls now. All I can really suggest is play them all and see what works for you.

get a nocaster and pay someone to refinish it in blue. done.

Teles were already ruled out (along with Strats and Superstrats) - see above.

• Members

All I can really suggest is play them all and see what works for you.

This is, of course, very sensible advice - hence my reluctance to go for the Duesenberg, even though it's a guitar I've really, really wanted since I first saw one a couple of years ago. Finding somewhere with one to try might prove tricky.

• Members

It has a very loud and acoustically resonant tone unplugged, but it's my only semi-hollowbody, so I don't have much of a frame of reference. It's definitely stronger than my LPs, teles, or my SG.

The neck is the fattest of any of my guitars. It's pretty similar to the Gibson Historic '50s necks, not the '50s necks on the Studios etc. It measures close to an inch at the first fret. Sorry if that ruins the guitar for you. Maybe give one a try in a local shop (if you can) to see if it works for you.

I've got one and love it, with a couple reservations. Upper fret access is not great for obvious reasons, and it does have a tendency to exhibit just a little neck dive. Neither one of those is a show stopper for me.

Archived