Digitech Bad Monkey: Tell Me About It

elsupermanny14

• Members

The Green Rhino is 3-4 times the price of the Bad Monkey.

Which isn't to say that it might not be worth it, but it does kinda mean it isn't a direct competitor.

A couple of years ago I went on an ebay tear buying inexpensive OD pedals, basically looking for a cheap Tube Screamer alternative.

The Monkey was one of my favorites, I also really liked the Behringer TO800 (which I jokingly refer to as the budget version of the Bad Monkey.)

Eventually I snagged a deal on a TS9 and moved on to my next compulsion.

• Members

Just spent a good hour and half rocking away with my TS9 straight into my amp. Did some boding time messing with settings and what not. I think I'm going to pass on the a second overdrive for now. I think the pedal on my priority list is going to be an EQ. I just want to see how much tonal flexibility I can get with an EQ and a TS9 before I start adding more to it.

• Members

Just spent a good hour and half rocking away with my TS9 straight into my amp. Did some boding time messing with settings and what not. I think I'm going to pass on the a second overdrive for now. I think the pedal on my priority list is going to be an EQ. I just want to see how much tonal flexibility I can get with an EQ and a TS9 before I start adding more to it.

A Bluesdriver-type pedal or transparent drive will do two things for you and your TS:

1. give you another stand-alone option

2. give you more tonal variety when you stack.

My board currently has 3 drive pedals and a fuzz because there is SO MUCH dirt ground to be covered, and, of course, when I get loud through my board my amp gets loud too. My amp sounds really good loud ;)

Pedals to look into:

VoodooLabs Sparkle Drive

Boss BD-1

GuitarPCB Myton Blonde, MKC1 (you have to build these)

PaulC Timmy

These are all substantially more time or money than the Bad Monkey.

• Members

i paid $20 for a BM..thing is with the drivetrain you wont see them used at all let alone for $20. Bm is $50 new today, as is the Drivetrain. Another great option in this range is the BBE Green Screamer-excellent tubescreamer, built well and comes with a power adapter which is very nice.

ill say this though my machine head 72 degrees blows the BM away.

Archived