Getting Old Sucks--Odd Question

Futuresman

• Members

Definitely get some good insoles, and I agree with the yoga suggestion. Some stretching during a break can help if you can manage it. Take care of your back, if you mess that up your life will be much worse from that point on.

• Members

I spend 15 to 30 hours a week standing On a stage playing bass. I'm 47. I have had arthritis for the past 15 years. Every joint in my body hurts every minute of every day day of my life. Once I'm up moving, I'm usually ok, but if I sit down for awhile, I seize up like a, like a ... Like something that seizes up really bad.

It is so constant and such a part of my life, I have pretty much given up on the idea that it will ever be much different. I pretty much just live with it. It isn't easy, but I haven't gotten to the point yet, where I will give in and let it run or ruin my life.

Playing live though is tough. I literally have to will and force myself to move around and get the act going because my body is just screaming at me to move as little as possible. Funny thing is, it really hasn't hit my hands that bad yet as hard as the rest of my body so my playing hasn't really suffered much. Yet.

• Members

It's no secret that getting old blows, all sorts of never before felt aches and pains. Sunday I was at rehearsal for 2 different projects I have going on; so about 4 hours of playing while standing. So {censored}ty part is that I started getting some pain/cramp like symptoms in my left leg (I'm right handed). I was told this can happen by my singer but he had no advice on exercises or any other preventative action. Has anyone else experienced this?
Does anyone know of preventative exercises I can do?

Thanks

Yoga

Yoga is the best possible thing you can do for yourself

• Members

Yoga

Yoga is the best possible thing you can do for yourself

exercise and eat right.

if you don't keep it working and fuelled properly it will break down.

Oh yeah and keep a young mind.

Your outlook will determine your quality of life.

• Members

exercise and eat right.

if you don't keep it working and fuelled properly it will break down.

Oh yeah and keep a young mind.

Your outlook will determine your quality of life.

This.

I took up running when I turned 40 (7 years ago) and was amazed that all my aches and pains disappeared. I run for 20-25 minutes, 3 times a week.

I spent years thinking that my knees and lower back were worn out, when actually they were just starting to seize up.

If I don't run for a couple of weeks all the middle-aged aches and pains come back and I struggle to get out of bed.

• Members

At 41 in about a month I feel better then I have in 10 years! I think part of it for me is the 27 year old girl I am sharing my life with, but also eating well and exercise are factors. I still have many of the pains of my age, but I don't let them hold me back from living life the way I want to.

• Members

Wow, some really interesting responses. I was surprised to see so many of us who "play with pain" lol. I do exercise, although not as much as I want or should. But I think, moving around more is a good idea, as well as eating better. Thanks to all who responded.

BTW I can't do yoga....I don't look good in pink spandex

• Members

I spend 15 to 30 hours a week standing On a stage playing bass. I'm 47. I have had arthritis for the past 15 years. Every joint in my body hurts every minute of every day day of my life. Once I'm up moving, I'm usually ok, but if I sit down for awhile,
I seize up like a, like a ... Like something that seizes up really bad.

It is so constant and such a part of my life, I have pretty much given up on the idea that it will ever be much different. I pretty much just live with it. It isn't easy, but I haven't gotten to the point yet, where I will give in and let it run or ruin my life.

Playing live though is tough. I literally have to will and force myself to move around and get the act going because my body is just screaming at me to move as little as possible. Funny thing is, it really hasn't hit my hands that bad yet as hard as the rest of my body so my playing hasn't really suffered much. Yet.

A rusty nut on a rusty bolt?

• Members

As people mentioned already, yoga.

My sister is a Doctor and she told me that usually, when something sticks around for hundreds of years (yoga, acupuncture etc.) it's usually because it pretty often works.

• Members

Yoga. Sun Salutations in sets of 4 to 10 each day should do the trick.

Or basically 'stretching'. I do a series (with careful and deep breathing in time to the movements), it takes about 10 minutes. Feels really good afterward.

[video=youtube;5X-T6hyynCY]

Nutrition, also. The glucosamine advice is good. Also potassium from fruits & vegetables helps eliminate cramps. Get plenty of water. Take brisk 30 minute walks.

It may take a couple of weeks to feel major improvement, but by then you should feel it. Definitely try that stretching routine, it really is excellent.

• Members

One of the actors in Citizen Kane said, "Old age is the only disease you dont look forward to being cured of".

I'd say, If you can go 4 hours and are just starting to notice problems, you're still in pretty good shape.

Its going to get allot worse in the next 10 years. Screwed up spine, feet problems, arthritus in the joints,

muscle cramps etc

It just gets progfressively worse till you just hurt all day long without even playing, that is

if you dont die from something else first. Isnt that a joyous future guitarists have to look forward to.

It can be very depressing when it happens especially if your a good musician whose used to burning the candle at both ends.

Excersize and diet is the only natureal way to fight it. Taking asprin, fish oil and garlic helps with the circulation.

Vitamin C in 1000mg daily helps allot with the healing. That glucosomine crap is a worthless placibo. I took it for 6 months with zero benifit.

Arthritus and joint inflamation can be fought and delayed by taking antibiotics like minocycline.

I had a doctor give me some for my joint pain but was just too rough on my stomach.

I had to stick with over the counter pain killers and the occasional 6 pack on a weekend.

You dont appreciate what pain is all bout till you do get old.

You can tell yourself when you're young you'll worry about it when it happens and you'll worry about

getting back in shape then. Or you may say it only happens to the other guy, or old people are only looking

for attention by complaining, or youll say its just payback for that person not taking care of themselves.

None of that is the truth. Age creeps up ever so slowly and theres nothing you can do about it other

than realize it takes a week or more to heal what took a single night when you were young.

• Members

If your near mid 40's start taking Glucosamine it helps swell and lube your shrinking cartilage that is likely giving you arthritis type symptoms. Thought I was going to be Mr Hip Replacement and this has kept me from that and unnecessary pain meds...
:cop:

^^ This.^^

I take 2 of these things every morning and it really helps with the feet and ankle joints. I can absolutely tell a difference when I don't take them for a day or two (i.e. went out of town and forgot them).

• Members

That glucosomine crap is a worthless placibo. I took it for 6 months with zero benifit.

Arthritus and joint inflamation can be fought and delayed by taking antibiotics like minocycline.

Antibiotics won't touch osteo-arthritis, which is the more common of the two. Rheumatoid arthritis will somewhat benefit from antibiotics as it is an auto-immune disorder albeit the less common of the two forms of arthritis.

I've had great results with using glucosamine for people with osteo-arthritis so it shouldn't be written off for the more common forms of arthritis.

Sounds to me you are dealing with rheumatoid, not osteo although it could be both.

Archived