Incoming NGD: Charvel Content (Tele purists stay out!)

• Members

44866-large1.jpg

This will be Charvel #3 for me. Grabbed it form a forumite. Shipping says it'll be here Saturday.

I already know I'll love it. I love tele bodies, I love Floyds, I love Charvel necks. Awesome.

The only thing is that I worry about that JB in the bridge position. Anyone played a So Cal and a San Dimas? I love the Tone Zone, but wonder how the JB will be.

Anyone?

• Members

YES! We're like Eskimo brothers now, only with guitar taste. Mine still sports the stock pickups, and the JB in the big alder body sounds very ... brown. Not something I use all the time, but it's about as 80s rock/metal as you could want. Surprisingly good/versatile tones in the other positions, too; I spend most of my time rocking clean tones in the middle position.

ps. As an aside, I love these guitars so much that I ordered another last week. The GC rep failed to disclose some pretty healthy damage to the guitar, though - serious blemishes on the guitar's face, fret wear, and a rusted/cracked Floyd - so I returned it locally about an hour ago. Color me sad on that one, because I want one in black. :(

• Members

So what's your stable got in it now?

Let's see, got the Charvel, two bound Teles, 59RI Melody Maker, Peavey HP and a Dano DC-3. Honestly though, it feels kind of bloated at the moment. I keep running into great deals on stuff that I expect to try, then eventually sell; problem is, I haven't gotten around to selling like I really ought to. Still, the Charvel isn't going up on the block any time soon. :)

• Members

JB is super nasal and full of treble. It doesn't have as much body as I like in a bridge pickup, but it results in some awesome bridge + neck tones.

Overall a good pickup, not my favorite, but I haven't felt the need to swap it out of my Cobain Mustang.

• Members

Love it -- especially in that color! I used to sort of be a tele-snob, but buying a Schecter PT has really turned me around. My "actual" telecaster gets much less playing time these days...

• Members

albinoneck

Yeah, that neck would definitely be getting tru-oiled, just for looks alone, but damn! Every thing else about that guitar is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

My next 80's shredder, which I don't own at the moment, will be that exact guitar, maybe in a different color though.

I like alot of their colors, so that is going to be the only hard decision about it.

What are these going for new these days?

• Members

Yeah, that neck would definitely be getting tru-oiled, just for looks alone, but damn! Every thing else about that guitar is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

My next 80's shredder, which I don't own at the moment, will be that exact guitar, maybe in a different color though.

I like alot of their colors, so that is going to be the only hard decision about it.

What are these going for new these days?

Heh, as a country dude, I figured you of all people wouldn't dig it at all. Fuck yeah. :thu:

Well man, you better decide you want the strat shape, or start browsing ebay because these went out of production in like 09 or so. There are a couple on the bay hanging out at around 1100. I got mine from a forumite for 775 shipped with an hsc and the official gigbag. Not a bad deal at all if'n you ask me. :)

• Members

JB is super nasal and full of treble. It doesn't have as much body as I like in a bridge pickup, but it results in some awesome bridge + neck tones.

Overall a good pickup, not my favorite, but I haven't felt the need to swap it out of my Cobain Mustang.

I have a San Dimas style 2 and this was my experience with the JB. Very bright. Especially without a tone control.

I replaced it with a tone zone and I'm liking it better. I still think it needs a tone control though.

Other than that, awesome guitar.

• Members

I had an OLP MM1 with an unfinished neck. I bought it used and filthy and did a masterful job of cleaning it up. The neck was blindingly white. With just a little playtime, my fingers had dirtied up the fingerboard and the guitar looked cool again.

I also have an Affinity tele with an albinoneck. I'm going to tru oil it eventually.

Archived