The Creative Process

• Members

Ernest Buckley wrote:

What have you done to get the creative juices started?

I just sit down and create. Sometimes I have ideas pop into my head, while other times, I have some free time and just screw around until I come up with something. I'm really lucky that 1.) I have several creative interests, and 2.) I rarely have blockage of creativity unless I'm depressed or extremely cheesed off. I'm always creating something, just about every day, and certainly several times a week, whether it's taking photos, mixing songs, coming up with keyboard or guitar parts, messing around with a website, writing something, or processing photos.

• Members

UstadKhanAli wrote:

Ernest Buckley wrote:

I just sit down and create. Sometimes I have ideas pop into my head, while other times, I have some free time and just screw around until I come up with something. I'm really lucky that 1.) I have several creative interests, and 2.) I rarely have blockage of creativity unless I'm depressed or extremely cheesed off. I'm always creating something, just about every day, and certainly several times a week, whether it's taking photos, mixing songs, coming up with keyboard or guitar parts, messing around with a website, writing something, or processing photos.

Concerning your Mercury 7 output... how do you guys work up some of those compositions? 

• Members

Ernest Buckley wrote:

Create as much chaos in my life as possible... and then play that out on various instruments.

That is a cool video and I can relate to so much of what he is saying, especially the inspiration from nature. 

Chaos is not as bad as it sounds.  It's really just challenging the status quo within by whatever means possible.  What I mean is for example, sitting in front of the TV will not spark creativity for me, but crossing the railroad tracks just in the nick of time before the train gets to you, or a quiet night walk in the woods will both bring the right kind of inner chaos, but different flavors.  To me there's no original music coming from within without disorder and then restructuring order as a creative process through music.

It doesn't even make complete sense to me, but that is the best way I can describe it.

I'm not a disciplined writer in the normal sense.  I just write, collaborating constantly with people through conversation and other interactions... like jumping in front of their trains.  In that way I never stop composing and creating... and I won't until I misjudge the distance between me and the train.

And of course when it comes to the music part of it all I use lots of analog and outboard equipment, which I agree helps one focus on expressing whatever is inside more intuitively without the distraction of realizing you're doing it.

• Members

Beck wrote:

Ernest Buckley wrote:

Create as much chaos in my life as possible... and then play that out on various instruments.

That is a cool video and I can relate to so much of what he is saying, especially the inspiration from nature. 

Chaos is not as bad as it sounds.  It's really just challenging the status quo within by whatever means possible.  What I mean is for example, sitting in front of the TV will not spark creativity for me, but crossing the railroad tracks just in the nick of time before the train gets to you, or a quiet night walk in the woods will both bring the right kind of inner chaos, but different flavors.  To me there's no original music coming from within without disorder and then restructuring order as a creative process through music.

It doesn't even make complete sense to me, but that is the best way I can describe it.

I'm not a disciplined writer in the normal sense.  I just write, collaborating constantly with people through conversation and other interactions... like jumping in front of their trains.  In that way I never stop composing and creating... and I won't until I misjudge the distance between me and the train.

And of course when it comes to the music part of it all I use lots of analog and outboard equipment, which I agree helps one focus on expressing whatever is inside more intuitively without the distraction of realizing you're doing it.

Sounds like a sound philosophy to me. Chaos is my favorite element in guitar solos in particular. What always amazed me about some of my favorite artists was their ability to create what sounded chatotic, but was altogether very structured. Allan Holdsworth, Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix...The live work of Cream, John Scofield...The list goes on and on. The ability to go in a completely different direction than the people you are playing with yet have it all mesh.

I don't have that talent unfortunately....Wish the Hell I did. Admire the folks that do.

Archived