This is why sparkly guitars are a good thing.

honeyiscool

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This might be the most condescending, self-righteous, dickish comment I've seen here in a while. Bravo.

??? What a jackass.

You mean you've never guessed how long a persons been playing before????

What the hell is wrong with guessing how long someones been playing based on a picture???

You've never looked at an album cover or opend up a guitar magizine and guessed how old a person was when

that shot was taken? Am I breaking one of gods commandments by suggesting we guess how long she's been playing? Jeez.

It was a simple challange I thought would be fun.

• Members

??? What a jackass.

You mean you've never guessed how long a persons been playing before????

What the hell is wrong with guessing how long someones been playing based on a picture???

You've never looked at an album cover or opend up a guitar magizine and guessed how old a person was when

that shot was taken? Am I breaking one of gods commandments by suggesting we guess how long she's been playing? Jeez.

It was a simple challange I thought would be fun, If you dont get it, that your flucking problem.

It was not a simple challenge and I'm pretty sure you know it. The only reason to play that 'game' the way you were playing it is to be an asshole. The "probibly no wheres not enough rehursal hours" is a dead giveaway that you were, first and foremost, being condescending.

If you don't think your comment came across as extremely rude and unnecessary then you might want to look at the responses to it, every single one of which indicates that everyone though you were being an ass.

And no, I don't look at photos of people playing guitars and try to guess how long they've been playing. I don't give two {censored}s about how long someone has been playing or whether or not they have proper technique. I care about music and whether or not people are having fun creating it. Degree of experience means nothing to me. I've been moved by performances by people who have only been playing for a little while, and bored to tears by people with amazing technique who have been professional musicians for decades. And I make it a general rule not to {censored} on people who are starting out because I would rather encourage people to continue developing their skills than discourage them.

• Members

Which of the 10,000 shows I've performed would you perfer

Spread out over 45 years, that's an average of 222 shows each year.

I think she may have been playing for more than two years. I've backed up many singer/songwriter types and have seen many with years of experience hold their picks that way and use capos. Many singers only acquire enough technique to do what they want to do - provide a rhythmic bed to practice singing over. In the context of several styles of music, that type of playing can work well within a song.

Hell, EVH holds his pick "wrong" as well.

• Members

And I make it a general rule not to {censored} on people who are starting out because I would rather encourage people to continue developing their skills than discourage them.

Tweedledee, it seems to me that you're just looking to pick a fight. I've only been here a short time, but I can testify WRG is the last person who would discourage a beginner. Go check out the DIY forum and all the noobish questions (including my own) he patiently answers, and see if you don't change your mind.

• Members

Except to "proove" that you're a complete dick by slagging on somebody's experiance in playing. For somebody who's worked playing music for as long as you claim you seem to have missed the whole point of playing music over that whole time.

I also used to teach young musicians from the ground up. You "have" to have the ability to size up ones talents in short order if you

plan on mentoring them where they need it the most. That doesnt mean your trying to be a dick and slagging someone down as you suggest.

Its was a simple guessing contest bonehead. If your a performing artist, you should have an appreciation for the acting aspect in much as

the musical performance.

If you have a picture on the front of an album cover some day, What will a decerning eye see about you?

Will you be photogenic enough to convince them you are a star and make them want to buy your album?

Wouldnt you want to know before you post it for the world to see? Would you maybe seek and expert at

selecting the best photos of you for marketing?

This is part of the business weather you know it or not.

If you cant hack the fact others look through you and see what they want to see then you should realise thats as big a factor

to the audiance as your playing skills. Its also whay so many good musicians cant market themselves. They havent got a clue

what they look like performing and whatever quarkes thay may have, they never learn to fix them.

People do size up what they see in a photo when checking out artists. They also stare at them when they perform live.

Thats the reason why people play out isnt it? Thay want to be seen playing?

Lets assume that pic was a cover photo includes with the artists first CD being given to an agent, a manager, a studio, a customer.

In comparison to other bands, how do you think that one would rate? I'm not asking this to be critical as you suggest?

Its just a simple question with no bad intent in back of it.

Remember that band called the Beatles? Did you ever read about how they went

around and found all the pictures of themselves dong stupid things like hanging toilet seats around their neck?

At the time they were just fun photos, the stuff all bands do. Why did they go around and collect them all?????

I'll give you a clue. It has to do with the bands image.

In the world of the internet, they wouldnt have been able to get those photos back.

I made a statement about the capo. To "me" that says two possible things. The person hasnt learned barre chords yet

or their nut is screwed up. Most musicians get the barre chord thing down pretty solid after two years of playing.

I made a guess, not a judgement. I cant hear them playing in the photo so I cant possibly comment on how well they play.

I was also making others guesses about the performer in back of the instrument. In the process thay may remember that face

when that person becomes a star and they can say "Hey i remember when so and so was just beginning to perform"

Whats wrong with that? One thing I have learned is good or bad criticism, it doesnt matter. If people talk about someone,

others are going to want to check it out and see if the stories are true or false. Keep that in mind if you ever deal with marketing

your band and you's have more people in the audiance. Not overyone going to love you or your playing, they may just show up hoping you'll

screw up so they can watch you eat dirt. Old girlfriends are good for that one.

How bout this, how would "you" make suggestions to someone to improve their stage appearence so they dont look

like an amature without pissing them all off?

Say you were that bands manager and you were trying to get that band jobs. What approach would you use?

Have you ever even considered it? How would you handle a manager wanting to improve the bands image

so both you and he could get better paying jobs? Would you bash the manager because he has some suggestions?

To you those suggestions may seem stupid, but to a manager, al little polish can put the band in the best clubs, if the music is good.

Say your beyond the music thing, its tight, they have some stage experience. How do you get them to the next level?

Let them figure it out on their own? that may never work. A manager or agent tells you want thay want and you either

give it to them or you can manage yourself and good luck with that. you bst clubs have exclusive agents that book bands at many of them.

I always found treating it as an impersonal business requirement works. If someone doesnt get it, you clue them into the importance.

If they still dont get it, you send them back to the bench until they can handle it. You get one guy who looks like a bum all the time,

and it can affect what a band gets paid. When the other band members are told why they can get the good jobs, what do you think

the other band members will do? Kind of depends on the band members but most will tell the guy to get his act together or face replecemet.

The first album I was on, the photographer made me hide my fingernails because they were too short.

I was pissed at the suggestion but upon reflection, it taught me a very important lesson. The photographer had

a keen eye and gave us some great photos. He was right. My fingernails wer all beat up from doing construction work

and I'm doing album photos that the public would see and judge me on.

I've worked in at least 5 bands with chick singers.

The chicks in the audience are always checking out every aspect of the female musician or vocalist.

They compare themselves to that person and ask why thay arent playing on stage and have 4 guys playing for them.

Believe me chicks are brutal in their criticism. Dont ask me why, its a chick thing. I used to listen to that crud on a nitely

basis when we played out for years. It does get old but it doesnt change.

I guess I'm sorry for bringing up the whole subject though. Professionals get the whole photogenic vanity aspect of the business.

They dont take it personally, it simply part of the whole live performance thing and I thought the posters here were

mature enough for a little fun in a guessing contest. I forget theres a bunch of kids who couldnt make the connection.

I deal with pros on a regular basis. Believe me, I wouldnt bring up the topic if I didnt think it was an important

aspect of the business others could learn by. If you ever get to the marketing level of selling your image,

you may want to think back on what i've posted here. It can make the difference between playing decent clubs or dives.

• Members

Judging from everyone trying to speculate on her playing ability from one picture, you would almost think I'd never posted video and audio clips of our band.

There's a very good reason for the capo on that song. It sounds wrong with barre chords.

• Members

Tweedledee, it seems to me that you're just looking to pick a fight. I've only been here a short time, but I can testify WRG is the last person who would discourage a beginner. Go check out the DIY forum and all the noobish questions (including my own) he patiently answers, and see if you don't change your mind.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. If you go through my posts here over the years you'll see I'm generally not the type of person to pick a fight. When someone writes something that I think is unnecessarily condescending, however, I'm going to call them on it.

WRGKMC's post history here is about 60% incredibly helpful information and advice gleaned from years in the industry and 40% unnecessary condescension. I've actually learned a lot from him. It just happens to be the case that his post in this thread fits into the latter category. As such, I feel no obligation to let it go unanswered just because he gives a lot of helpful information in the DIY forum.

• Members

I didn't exactly find his line of questioning to be offensive, I found it somewhat curious as to why he would speculate like that, especially someone I know very well. For the record, she works full time as an attorney, teaches on the side, raises an 8 year old son (and put herself through law school while raising the little guy), is preparing for a wedding, and still has time to put together this band (it's mostly her doing) and has dozens of songs written. Is she the best player ever? No, but she plays well within her limitations, and she's still improving, and some of her songs have been posted on this forum, where they've gotten very positive reviews. So clearly she can write pretty well as well.

But do you really see that as an audience member? No, you probably don't. You might think she's some clueless 18 year old with a face, and you know what, she might find that to be flattering in some fashion. But she's really not that.

• Members

I also used to teach young musicians from the ground up. You "have" to have the ability to size up ones talents in short order if you

plan on mentoring them where they need it the most. That doesnt mean your trying to be a dick and slagging someone down as you suggest.

Its was a simple guessing contest bonehead.

The thing is, it was not a simple guessing contest. I think if you're honest you could admit that. What if I said we should have a 'simple guessing contest' about your intelligence and education level based on your countless spelling mistakes, incorrect use of "your" vs. "you're", etc. in your posts? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't see that as a simple guessing contest. No, you would think it was me unnecessarily being an asshole (and that would be accurate). That's essentially what you were doing and that's all that I was responding to.

For someone who insists he knows so much about properly cultivating an image when it comes to being a professional musician, you seem to be blissfully unaware that similar principles are at work in how your 'image' is constructed on this forum. With these types of posts you provide the verbal equivalent of using a capo on the first fret and having poor plectrum technique. People use what you write to construct a notion of your character, and I'm afraid that your first post indicates for many here that you can come across to many as unnecessarily rude and self-righteous. Your subsequent posts indicate that either you can't see how people could take your posts as rude, or you can see it but you simply can't admit that condescension permeates much of what you write.

Now, if you really believed that it doesn't matter if criticism is bad or good, as you claim, then you would have taken my initial criticism of your first post as an opportunity for 'personal growth' or some such nonsense. Instead you (understandably) took it a bit more personally than that. I guess the only point I'm really trying to make is that if you said what you wrote, as you wrote it, directly to honeyiscool's bandmate rather than posting it on a guitar form, I have a feeling she would have had a similar reaction. There are a million ways to offer constructive criticism without being rude. Your first post was not one of them.

• Members

Judging from everyone trying to speculate on her playing ability from one picture, you would almost think I'd never posted video and audio clips of our band.

Do you have a link to that stuff? I'm too lazy to track it down on my own. Why not put it in your sig?

• Members
A capo is for those who have learned
all three chords
on the guitar, and want to change key.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum, and there have been a lot of them. :rolleyes:

OP, love the pic. Y'all look like you're having a blast.

Archived