Gig report: the second of three gigs in three days.

Jkater

• Members

This one was a mini Oktoberfest in june. Nice folks. Perfect weather. The beer must have been awesome, too bad I don't drink anymore.

gigpic2.jpg

gigpic1.jpg

gigpic4.jpg

gigpic3.jpg

lilMcLean.jpg

We played the day before in an old church and tonight in a private party. Nice time.

• Members

So are you actually in Germany? I can see the signs are in German.

Also, let's talk about some of those instruments. The F-style mandolin, what kind? Also, is the instrument with a banjo head a banjolin?

And that Ampeg bass. Is that a black quilt? Or a deep purple? I have seen the latter on the guitar version of that doublecut.

Thanks for the pics!

MORE GIG THREADS!

• Members

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated. :thu:

So are you actually in Germany? I can see the signs are in German.

Also, let's talk about some of those instruments. The F-style mandolin, what kind? Also, is the instrument with a banjo head a banjolin?

And that Ampeg bass. Is that a black quilt? Or a deep purple? I have seen the latter on the guitar version of that doublecut.

Thanks for the pics!

MORE GIG THREADS!

Hi, Brian! Yes, in Germany since 1996.

The mandolin is a korean made Samick mandolin I bought around '92. It's ok but the frets are ridiculously small and I hit too much wood when I play. I have contacted a mandolin builder who will change the frets to bigger ones (Dunlop 6230). That's still cheaper than finding a new decent mandolin that plays the way I like.

The banjo is a 19 frets tenor. You are right: it's tuned in fifth like a mandolin but a fifth lower, CGDA. I'm gassing for a 17 frets open back Deering "Good time" tenor. Slightly smaller and sweet sounding.

The bass is a LOVELY Ampeg AMB1. Made in Japan, short (medium?) scale, purple quilted maple thin veneer top on a basswood body. It has a great neck and plays easier than any bass I ever tried (I haven't tried that many though). They did have the guitar version in the same finish and "Dan Armstrong" style. The upper fret access is outwordly if I ever needed that on a bass.

• Members

This one was a mini Oktoberfest in june. Nice folks. Perfect weather. The beer must have been awesome, too bad I don't drink anymore.

gigpic2.jpg
gigpic1.jpg
gigpic4.jpg
gigpic3.jpg
lilMcLean.jpg

We played the day before in an old church and tonight in a private party. Nice time.

looks like a great day and an awesome time~ thank you for sharing and glad to see you're out there doing it!

Archived