Will my guitar ever come? Gibson via Sweetwater

Redsand187

• Members

Gibson got back to me and they are sending a replacement and arranging pick up on the one I have.

I'm not that picky. If I had to send it back to sweetwater and deal with it as a normal return I probably wouldn't go through that hassle. But after waiting nearly 5 months, it's pretty disappointing.

I'm super easy-going and hate even complaining. I feel like a pain in the ass. But I mean, is it really that hard? Wait 5 months, for a simple, standard production guitar, and it has an obvious flaw in the finish.

I sent pretty scathing emails to Henry J and Dave Pelletier before I even received the guitar, saying 5 months is ridiculous and not offering proper communication to the dealer is a joke. On top of that, I brought up my concern of their quality. During this whole ordeal, one my KRK Rokit5's took a dump, and the only recourse they offered was "buy a new one." Too that, I actually did, I bought a new pair, only to have one DOA.

It's now been passed off to Kevin Young, who was going to send me a shirt and some other stuff for the hassle to begin with, and now he is arranging the exchange. We'll see.

• Members

I used to work at the Gibson factory here in Memphis. I hate to say it, but this kind of {censored} is typical. Sell guitars to dealers that aren't ready yet, and then, when you run into manufacturing issues, throw 'em in a case, ship 'em, and hope they don't come back.

• Members

Many thanks to the OP for posting and keeping the facts in front of the rage you must feel (I know I would be just furious).

My little episode with geting a CV Tele from Hello Music (first one DOA and had clearly been beaten on when sold as "new;" second one ok cosmetically but had some crappy pickups in it) was an echo of the time I ordered an Agile (first one arrived with a cracked/shattered finish); at least Kurt made sure the 2nd guitar was terrific (Hello Music was friendly and courteous and great customer-service-wise, but the 2nd guitar was clearly also b-stock of a sort).

I'm not going to buy guitars from mass-retailers online. I just can't afford to have something like this happen, and it seems that almost everyone I know who has ordered guitars online has had a similar experience.

Are online guitar sales seen as a way of dumping b stock on the ignorant or helpless? Sorry, but I have to think so at this point.

• Members

Many thanks to the OP for posting and keeping the facts in front of the rage you must feel (I know I would be just furious).

My little episode with geting a CV Tele from Hello Music (first one DOA and had clearly been beaten on when sold as "new;" second one ok cosmetically but had some crappy pickups in it) was an echo of the time I ordered an Agile (first one arrived with a cracked/shattered finish); at least Kurt made sure the 2nd guitar was terrific (Hello Music was friendly and courteous and great customer-service-wise, but the 2nd guitar was clearly also b-stock of a sort).

I'm not going to buy guitars from mass-retailers online. I just can't afford to have something like this happen, and it seems that almost everyone I know who has ordered guitars online has had a similar experience.

Are online guitar sales seen as a way of dumping b stock on the ignorant or helpless? Sorry, but I have to think so at this point.

I'm a business owner myself, and deal with customers a lot. I'm pretty easy going, it doesn't take a whole lot to make me happy, just do lie to me. I felt I was being lied to at first by Sweetwater. I now know, Gibson left them in the dark, and it wasn't Sweetwater's fault.

I also thought I'd keep it updated and just provide the facts to show how Gibson is handling this. I honestly didn't expect much, so what they are doing so far I am more then pleased with. I understand how mistakes happen, it's not the end of the world. How you correct them says a lot about you as a person/business.

I've got bigger things to worry about then a guitar, so this has been a somewhat entertaining joke. It gives me something stupid to bitch about. No body's happy until they let everyone know how miserable they are. :)

• Members

Aside from the dents, you're holding my dream Les Paul. A white custom was THE icon for me growing up. Trade you my Joe B. for it... =)

It's been my dream guitar too. I don't even play that much any more. But I've always said I would buy one just to hang on the wall if nothing else. :)

• Members

Well, the replacement arrived today and looks good. Pretty cool that they shipped it so fast, FedEx's retail rate puts the the shipping cost right under $300. And they haven't told me how to return the first one. Hopefully they forget. fingersx.gif

• Members

Well, the replacement arrived today and looks good. Pretty cool that they shipped it so fast, FedEx's retail rate puts the the shipping cost right under $300. And they haven't told me how to return the first one. Hopefully they forget.
fingersx.gif

Which one plays the best?

Archived