Paul Gilbert sighting.

honeyiscool

• Members

If I ever play a Halloween show, I'm going to get a jumpsuit and wear giant headphones.

I've always wonder why Paul just doesn't wear in ear monitors instead of cans. I know he wears them because he's pretty much deaf but wouldn't in ear monitors do the same thing has those headphones?

• Members

I've always wonder why Paul just doesn't wear in ear monitors instead of cans. I know he wears them because he's pretty much deaf but wouldn't in ear monitors do the same thing has those headphones?

He's done massive damage to his ears, so the cans totally cancel out everything from the outside and he gets a feed that is at a safe volume for his ears. Ear monitors can't cancel to that degree.

• Members

Actually, I think custom molded Ultimate Ears get 26 dB or more attenuation, whereas his EX-29s get about 29 dB. That difference is negligible. And certainly Ultimate Ears are probably more comfortable and have superior sound quality, although they are 10 times the price but I doubt most professional musicians mind the cost. At the same time, he probably knows what's best for him and paired with his flight suit, the headphones certainly add to a certain look.

• Members

Actually, I think custom molded Ultimate Ears get 26 dB or more attenuation, whereas his EX-29s get about 29 dB.
That difference is negligible
. And certainly Ultimate Ears are probably more comfortable and have superior sound quality, although they are 10 times the price but I doubt most professional musicians mind the cost. At the same time, he probably knows what's best for him and paired with his flight suit, the headphones certainly add to a certain look.

if its a dBA difference, its equivalent to doubling the allowed exposure.

• Members

I remember reading an article in which Gilbert said that EVH cranked one his later day {censored}ty albums at ungodly levels and it really affected his hearing.

So basically we can all blame EVH (and his massive ego) for some of Paul Gilbert's hearing loss.

• Members

Actually, I think custom
molded Ultimate Ears get 26 dB or more attenuation, whereas his EX-29s get about 29 dB
. That difference is negligible. And certainly Ultimate Ears are probably more comfortable and have superior sound quality, although they are 10 times the price but I doubt most professional musicians mind the cost. At the same time, he probably knows what's best for him and paired with his flight suit, the headphones certainly add to a certain look.

Like I said, ear monitors can't cancel to that degree. I own a par of extreme isolation 29's, the sound quality is excellent and they are quite comfortable.

• Members

Like I said, ear monitors can't cancel to that degree. I own a par of extreme isolation 29's, the sound quality is excellent and they are quite comfortable.

He doesn't seem to be wearing ex 29s in that clip tho, they look more like pilot headphones or sometho. Oh and as doc 49 said, a 3db difference is far from negliabl, it's equivalent of doubling the sound source at the same volume.

I have ex 29s and while they are good, I'm not sure if they are any better at canceling noise than a good pair of in ear monitors.

Archived