Guitar Center trade in trade up question

Unclemeat

• Members

I see they are running that, 15% off deal if you trade something in. Question - Does that mean my trade automatically becomes 15% of the purchase price, or do I actually get 15% off and then also get whatever $$$ amount the assign to the trade?

This makes the difference between what item I trade.

Thanks,

Jason

• Members

It doesn't really mean anything. I assume they want you to think it means the price of the new item comes down 15%, but it really doesn't matter if they undervalue your trade, which they will. The only number that matters is the cash difference you have to pay, not whether they write it up so it looks like you got a 15% discount.

FWIW, it's usually pretty easy to get a 10 - 15% discount at GC without trading.

• Members

It doesn't really mean anything. I assume they want you to think it means the price of the new item comes down 15%, but it really doesn't matter if they undervalue your trade, which they will. The only number that matters is the cash difference you have to pay, not whether they write it up so it looks like you got a 15% discount.

FWIW, it's usually pretty easy to get a 10 - 15% discount at GC without trading.

Definitely agree on all points. I just talked to a guy there, though, and they will knock off 15% with my trade of a $30 delta lab chorus pedal I bought. That seems like a no brainer to me. That brings the price of the item well below anything I can find anywhere else.

• Members

Definitely agree on all points. I just talked to a guy there, though, and they will knock off 15% with my trade of a $30 delta lab chorus pedal I bought. That seems like a no brainer to me. That brings the price of the item well below anything I can find anywhere else.

Sounds like it's worth doing then.

• Members

Expect the Pawn Shop experience of being offered half or less for what you paid for the item. The 15% off will definitely confuse you when the bill is done -

you won't know if they duped you or actually gave you correct value for trade and then discount.

Good Luck.

• Members

Expect the Pawn Shop experience of being offered half or less for what you paid for the item. The 15% off will definitely confuse you when the bill is done -

To clarify you will get 1/2 or less of the current used value for any gear brought in.

It's not really a good deal, but it does save you the hassle of selling it yourself. That may be worth the hosing you will get for some people.

• Members

To clarify you will get 1/2 or less of the current used value for any gear brought in.

It's not really a good deal, but it does save you the hassle of selling it yourself. That may be worth the hosing you will get for some people.

Yep, I asked them and this is what I was told. They estimate what they can sell it for, and offer you half of that. Let's say you spent $1000 six months ago for a guitar you played once and didn't like. They'll estimate they can get $600 for it, so they'll offer you $300. Notice that GC rarely offers any discounts themselves, such as on used gear. Sales mean the manufacturer is offering the discount. Notice also that they are absolutly forbidding customers from buying one anothers' instruments. They'll allow straight trades in the parking lot only. This makes sense - if I'll offer you $500 for that guitar and GC offers $300, which do you take? I win, you win, so who loses?

GC (in most places) is in the business of selling mass-produced inexpensive guitars and amps. So if you have anything of real value - a truly vintage collector's item, a custom-built one-off with unusual features, etc. they probably can't move such items, so the offers will be terrible. You have a famous-name custom-built 9-string fan-fret short scale bass you spent $4500 for? Uh, we'll offer you $400, how's that sound? Moral: if you ever plan to sell a guitar, buy it used to begin with.

• Members

Buy a cheapo $5 OD pedal on eBay (as long as it works), and trade that in to get 15% off your purchase. Probably will get $1 for the pedal.

Trading in anything of value works against you as they offer 40% of the item's worth. To buy a new $500 guitar, you would need to bring in a guitar with a used value of $1,000 in order to get $400 in trade in credit towards the other guitar.

Guitar Center can buy NEW stuff at cheap prices due to volume purchasing. They won't pay you more for your used guitar than they would pay for it new. In a trade in, you're basically selling an item to the worst possible buyer.

• 8 years later...

Archived