Best amp options that use a el34 tube?

kulardenu

• Members

+1 on the Egnater. I tried like hell to talk myself into not liking it enough to I'd "have to" bring it back and "have to just get a _____" (fill pricy Fender head option here) ... and I can't. It's a lovely little amp, and as noted, you will have your choice of EL84s and 6V6s -- or varying blends of both.

• Members

How much are you wanting to spend? There are plenty of custom builders out there that produce those: Matchless, Top Hat, Carr, Reinhardt, Valvetech, Rivera, Two Rock, etc. You are going to have to pay up for these of course. Ceriatone makes a Trainwreck clone in a 30 watt version that is pretty affordable though.

• Members

I'm covered with 6l6 and el84, just seems that the el34 in the 5212 has a flavor that's different. Just wondered if it's a flavor I can get in smaller wattage. Might need to go play an Egnater or the Orange and see what they are like. Is there a amp list somewhere that is sorted by tubes used? I Googled but came up empty...

• Members

You might want to expand your search a bit. There are a few 6v6 amps out there that are or can be voiced like the stereotypical EL34 amp (assuming Marshall-ish). The amp that springs immediately to mind for me is the Valvetech VAC25, partially because I own one, but mostly because it's so versatile and dynamic, I can't imagine many scenarios where it couldn't be either your best option or close. Add an A/B box and you're beyond golden. Oh yeah, and it can get LOUD.

The downside?

There's a wait time, and you won't be able to test one at GC. Other than that, they're phenomenally priced for PTP wired boutique amps.

http://valvetechamps.com/theamp.htm

Check YouTube for sample vids; there are a few.

Archived