Why does EVH only come out of my left headphones?

honeyiscool

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought someone would poke fun at my antique-ness for being around since mono recordings. Is there no grace in age?

Haha. I have a healthy appreciation for mono, not the kissing kind, but the good Phil Spector kind. I'm jealous that you actually got to listen to that stuff on AM radio.

• Members
One of my arms is bigger than the other from turning the crank on the Victrola.

OK you got me there as my first record player was a mono portable tube job with speeds of 45 & 33 (might have had 78 as well I am not sure).

• Members

Haha. I have a healthy appreciation for mono, not the kissing kind, but the good Phil Spector kind. I'm jealous that you actually got to listen to that stuff on AM radio.

wait,. there's no AM radio anymore?

My first albums were aold beatles and beach boys, born in 77, I def remember hearing lots of mono. get the beatles in mono its worth a listen.

In other news i met Monk the pirate radio broadcaster a few weeks ago. nice guy.

• Members

I remember when FM rock radio just started, and bands like Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Shawn Phillips, ELP etc would play uninterrupted in the very late hours (not mono by that time though but the stereo processing and dynamic processing (compression / limiting) was pretty unsophisticated by today's standards. As you alluded to, there are other ways to increase the sonic depth besides modern production software and rack devices such as doubling parts and orchestration.

• Members

Eddie did complain about not hearing his guitar the first time he heard it on the radio. But that was due to the left speaker being out in his car. Or maybe it was wired wrong. Cant remember for sure. Anyway, you have to remember it was about capturing the band as they sounded live. They had such a new and unique sound that it didnt need much studio magic. And there was not much overdubbing either. One take for most of the tracks.

• Members

VH isn't and never was intended to be headphone music.

There's also a lot of manual panning of parts on VH albums. There are several Hagar-era songs I've listened to where you can tell there was a hand riding a fader panning a keyboard part or a guitar part left and right instead of an automated effect.

• Members

I use to play my friends mom's Elvis 78's on their old turn table. Those things were thick and brittle.

If you left them in the boot/trunk of a car on a sunny day they also melted. They would buckle and warp like crazy.

• Members

If you left them in the boot/trunk of a car on a sunny day they also melted. They would buckle and warp like crazy.

LOL...I had that happen to a 33 as well...left it under a window in the summer for a few hours or whatever...came back pulled it out and there was a huge warp on the edge. Of course being a curious kid I had to see the effect that had on the turntable when played.....watching the needle fly up as it hit the bump.....then of course I though I could fix it by sticking it in the microwave...heating it up, and bending it back into shape....didn't work. Just snapped a C shaped section out of it.

Could play the inner songs though.

• Members

Many years ago i worked in a restaurant.
In the morning before open, the Janitor would play VH 1 through the Restaurant music system.
Aparently, the kitchen was wired for Right only, and all i could hear was Bass drums, Vocals and about 10% guitar that was all reverb.
The Solos came through though :lol:

• Members

Especially in this day and age when people listen to headphones as much as or probably more than speakers,

That is the problem. As others have noted, the production of rock music in the late 70s / early 80s was not geared toward headphones, but toward big stereos with speakers. It was only at the very beginning of the 1980s when the Walkman came out and people started wearing headphones everywhere -- and even then, they weren't the earbuds that people wear today, but over-the-ear foam-covered headphones that leaked sound.

Hard panning was necessary to emphasize the stereo separation when listening on speakers, because you're still hearing both channels in both ears. With headphones and earbuds, you're completely isolating each channel in each ear and the panning will be overly exaggerated compared with how the producer intended it. So unless you can remix those MP3s on your computer to simulate some channel bleed-through, probably better to listen to it on speakers.

Modern recordings made for the iPod generation have less emphasis on stereo separation. They also have less dynamic range and a louder overall sound because of the limitations of what you can hear on earbud headphones in a noisy environment. I kind of hate what the iPod revolution has done to music production, actually. And I don't like listening on headphones anyway. Earbuds won't stay in my ears; wires get tangled and snag on stuff; and you don't get the "kick in the gut" feeling when listening loud.

Archived