The Guitarists "Drummers that do it for me' Thread

Jakey

• Members

The Guitarists "Drummers that do it for me' Thread

I believe the closest relationship in a band for the guit player is with the drummer.

Therefore, after hearing every single guitar player ever (hyperbole alert) I love listening to GREAT drumming.

So I thought a thread on those that really 'do it' for you would be in order. 5 only allowed.

Mine, in order:

1. Stewart Copeland. Do I really have to say anything about this utter drumming genius? Absolutely the most innovative rock drummer in recent times, fast hands, taste, delicacy, offbeat originality....and he's written over 50 Hollywood Film Scores!! Amazing. Listen to Roxanne live and Driven to Tears live- frightening playing.

2. Artimus Pyle. Ok, there's alway a cloud over Arti, but **** me as a rock drummer he made Tico Torres look like someone in a high school band. Master of the double bass drum, brilliant at buidling tension and then releasing it and again the fastest hands in the business.

3. Vinnie Colaiutta. Just listen to the hihat trill on the intro to American In New York then listen to Joe's Garage.....amazing.

4. Dennis Davies: David Bowie's powerhouse for years, then Stevie Wonder's. Amazing player, amazing groove and feel.

5. Jonathan 'Sugarfoot' Moffat. (Michael Jackson). He is the king of cymbal chokes and showmanship but his groove is without peer. I have been fortunate enough to lay with him on 5 occassions and he's a gent. He gaffer tapes the webbing between his thumb and forefinger on account of slicing them when choking cymbals!!

Honourable mentions:

Tico Torres

Clem Burke

Thomas Lang

Mark Shulman

Paul Hester (crowded house).

Ian THomas

Abe Laborial.

prises Ltd.

• Members

Favorites off the top of my head, across a wide variety of styles:

John Bonham

Jimmy Chamberlain

Adam Deitch

Travis Barker (say what you will about Blink 182, I always really enjoyed how he plays)

Steve Jordan

• Members

Charlie Watts. To me, he is the ultimate band musician. His genius (not a word I use lightly) stems from the fact that everything he plays seems intended to highlight the playing of other musicians in the band.

Ray Cooper played more of the Stones recordings than Charlie!

• Members

One of the best live shows I've seen in a while. Love Mutemath and Darren is awesome. He does an amazing job with such a small kit.

My personal faves:

Carter Beauford

Darren King

Danney Carey

Jose Pasillas of Incubus

I certainly enjoy the classic rock guys (bonham, moon, etc.) but I really enjoy these guys. A lot of it has to do with the bassists they play with as well.

• Members

Ian Paice/ Mitch Mitchell/ Bernard Purdee/ Simion Phillips/John Densmore Dino Danelli (Rascals) Carmine Appice. THe Drummer is the single most important instrumentalist in the band . Only vocal take a higher point . Your band is only as good as your drummer!!!

Archived