Steve Vai video...amazing

Fireproof

• Members

Yep, I agree with the above. He does amazing things with the guitar.

Sure he's over the top. But that's part of his schtick. I mean, just look at his website. And his repeated use of "alien" and what not. He's "out there". But his music and skills are amazing.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i only got to watch that now, since my soundcard was broken

it was awesome- that's the album version of tender surrender, right? (it sounds exactly the same)

i especially liked the bits where he used his right hand to point out the legato notes his left hand was playing

and the bit in the middle of the fast lick where he ran his hand through his hair- awesome!

:thu:

• Members

You can't name any player, not one that is going to impress everybody here. Some people will love the player and others won't. How can we criticize Vai for how he dresses and acts? He plays circles around 99.9% of us and makes a living touring the world while we just watch. If he came to your local bar because he was visiting his wife's cousin, you'd be there in a heartbeat to meet him or see him sit in.

• Members

Originally posted by warriorxtman

You can't name any player, not one that is going to impress everybody here. Some people will love the player and others won't. How can we criticize Vai for how he dresses and acts? He plays circles around 99.9% of us and makes a living touring the world while we just watch. If he came to your local bar because he was visiting his wife's cousin, you'd be there in a heartbeat to meet him or see him sit in.

um no, I honestly could care less of meeting Steve Vai

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

So you COULD care less then, huh?

lol, you knew what I meant...

But for the record: I would not get in my car and drive to a bar to meet Steve Vai...I just dont care to meet him or listen to his music...

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Skilo885

lol, you knew what I meant...

But for the record: I would not get in my car and drive to a bar to meet Steve Vai...I just dont care to meet him or listen to his music...

:wave:

Me neither. I imagine that it would be packed as hell. A lot of people masturbate at the thought of seeing even the more minor of celebrities (even ones they know nothing about).

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Me neither. I imagine that it would be packed as hell. A lot of people masturbate at the thought of seeing even the more minor of celebrities (even ones they know nothing about).

Your very right....im not gonna stand in line to jerk Steve Vai off...

I might go out of my way to meet, oh lets say, SRV or Hendrix though...:D

• Members

Man, if you guys don't like Vai, just say you don't like his music. Nothing wrong with that.

But to say he plays with no emotion is ridiculous. The guy plays his heart and soul out!!!

There are many forms of musical expression. Playing one note and bending it for 10 minutes is one of them, playing the {censored} out of your guitar is another. There is no right or wrong. You guys need to realise that music existed way before the blues did.

• Members

I liked this video, it was for the most part cool, I think it would have been a little more musicaly appealing if that solo he did was truncated, it went a little overboard, still good but it would have been more pleasing and focused if he didnt go off on such a tangent............

before I get flamed for that, Vai will be the first to admit (and has done so in interviews) that he is guilty of what he calls "linear diahrea".... but I am as well so I cant really judge him without being a hypocrite....

If you are not a shred or prog fan, I dont think you will like Vai's stuff, but thats just personal preference and everyone is different, and everyone is entitled to voice their opinions from their perspectives:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by mild7

You guys need to realise that music existed way before the blues did.

...and it will exist long after shred is dead - if it's not already... so what's your point?

Realistically, I think most people here agree that the guy is a technical monster, that he plays like a pure poser, and that he is a successful guitar player in that he has received critical and commercial acclaim throughout his career, not to mention that he has been able to live off his music while most of us have not.

This said, he is still way too {censored}ing in love with himself, hence a lot of the negative comments that showed up in this thread. I will give this to Vai: you either love him or hate him. Not too many people in between.

• Members

Originally posted by FckStick Jones

That was the gayest {censored}ing thing I've ever seen.

I cant beleive someone thought the fingers thru hair thing was cool.

Holy {censored}, what a dick.

He's like the Zoolander of guitar.

Theres a world of difference between Santana's and SRV's instrumentals and this poser.

Hmmmm...... well, Vai is very big fan of Prince. Tender Surrender (the song in the vid) is kind of a tribute to him.

But if everyone just listened to ppl like you there would be no David Lee Roth, no Led Zeppelin, no Prince, no nothing. Nobody would go anywhere and everyone would be self-conscious ppl too afraid to break any barriers.

Then again, that's why you and I are posting on a forum while Vai is living his dreams. :p

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

...and it will exist long after shred is dead - if it's not already... so what's your point?

Realistically, I think most people here agree that the guy is a technical monster, that he plays like a pure poser, and that he is a successful guitar player in that he has received critical and commercial acclaim throughout his career, not to mention that he has been able to live off his music while most of us have not.

This said, he is still way too {censored}ing in love with himself, hence a lot of the negative comments that showed up in this thread. I will give this to Vai: you either love him or hate him. Not too many people in between.

Just to let you know, I am a huge blues fan and I don't listen to much shred. I can't sweep pick, and I never tap.

My point was, that ppl express themselves through an instrument differently. It seems to be the general consensus here that emotion is a slow blues. That's all that I'm saying, if you don't agree that's fine by me.

Rgding your comment on him being 'too {censored}ing in love with himself', that is very true. I don't think that's a bad thing though.

• Members

Originally posted by mild7

Just to let you know, I am a huge blues fan and I don't listen to much shred. I can't sweep pick, and I never tap.

My point was, that ppl express themselves through an instrument differently. It seems to be the general consensus here that emotion is a slow blues. That's all that I'm saying, if you don't agree that's fine by me.

Rgding your comment on him being 'too {censored}ing in love with himself', that is very true. I don't think that's a bad thing though.

Yeah, I agree with this. And I also agree with BlackHatHunter in that he seems to be in love with himself and too over the top.

But for some reason, that is kind of what is fun to watch about him, for me. I mean, it would be different if he SUCKED and still acted like that. But he doesn't. And maybe I just wish I was so good at something myself, that I could get away with acting like that.

I mean - I'll never be light years within this guy's abilities (or many of you guys, I'm sure). So I would look retarded "brushing the hair back" like he does (unless it was a purposeful parody). But man I would love to be able to have some gift to be that arrogant about. (Not that I would...)

But I appreciate all kinds of players and styles and enjoy watching them all for different reasons....Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Prince...all the way to Kirk Hammett or Petrucci or Vai or Paul Gilbert or Nuno Bettencourt. Then there are some that just really do nothing for me (like Malmsteen or Eric Johnson), but they obviously have their followings and are amazing musicians...

• Members

Does anyone else not find that very impressive? Crappy tone, horrible production, overplayed, complete lack of real emotion, etc. Its just funny to watch him try to play something other than complex metal derivatives, since his over the top style and cheesy tone just make him obviously detached and ridiculous looking. He does have fantastic technique, but he seems to be at a loss to apply it in a way that is truly emotional and honest and dynamic.

• Members

Originally posted by FckStick Jones

I cant beleive someone thought the fingers thru hair thing was cool.

:D

man, i have to sig that

anyway, as for the blues thing (and emotion et al)

i love guys like srv

i love steve vai's playing (in a totally macho non-gay way of course)

i don't really see why you have to be mutually exclusive- i get off on both good blues playing and technical playing- and, fwiw, IMO vai is emotional- listen to lotus feet (i'd have said tender surrender, but that was that song ;))

and in case you didn't know, guys like paganini were playing, and guys like vivaldi and bach were writing (and playing) stuff as complicated as that long before the blues, it's not just vai and malmsteen that can play like that, and it's not only guitar related.

it just seems that most people here are either blues guys or shred guys, and i'm both

:freak:

• Members

The problem is, Bach fugues fit the organ and sound brilliant and mature. Electric guitar is a very different beast. I believe that if one wants to play classical leaning styles of music, you do it with a classical guitar, since it sounds lovely, tasteful and natural. Using a big distorted electric guitar to do it is more than cheesy. Have you listened to Vai do Bach's 5th symphony? Its a joke. I just laugh. Electric guitar is not piano, nor violin, nor cello or any of those, and is not suited to produce, natural tasteful tones for complex classical-style music. It comes off sounding ridiculous and goofy (i.e. Vai).

Archived