Steve Vai video...amazing

Fireproof

• Members

Originally posted by Chorus_of_One

He's good, no doubt, but he doesn't have ANYTHING else going for him. Technique doesn't equal greatness.

maybe vai is not as great as someone like hendrix, but still fukin great i think. he's had grammy nominations, he's one of the top selling instrumental guitaris. he has a solid career. how many guitarists do you know who's had that? i think he is great.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by FckStick Jones

Wake me up when he writes ONE classic song.

Just one song 3:00 minutes, tight groove, great melody, meaningful lyrics, tight well constructed solo that fits the song.

Just one!

Don't hold your breathe....:D

Im surprized this thread is still alive...Vai is such a robot...

• Members

Check this one out:
Vai 3neck
We are all guitar players here but I think Vai is a musician first and that is where he shines. Hardest part is composing a instrumental piece and putting it all together to come through and move the audience whether good or bad. That is what he did here to all of us when we watched these videos.

• Members

That last video wasn't that impressive either. A mediocre melody, embellished by typical chord layering and unnecessary solo runs along the way. All along with a sound that seems overprocessed and lifeless even when its a live guitar. . .Haha. Whatever. He's a remarkable technical musician, but he is so detached from musicality and emotional urgency. He doesn't seem like he has to struggle for anything and that nothing is truly desperate, or intense, or really even honest. Everything is just so contrived and tainted by this virtuoso mentality.

Being a virtuoso is not a bad thing. But when you play like that and call it great composition or songwriting, then please, get it away from me.

• Members

Just one song 3:00 minutes, tight groove, great melody, meaningful lyrics, tight well constructed solo that fits the song.

Just one!

vai isn't about classic songs. listen to band with vocals if you want 'classic' songs. Vai is an INSTRUMENTALIST. people who dig vai are guitarists coz he plays great guitar! some of his best stuff in my opinion are:

whispering a prayer

Sisters

boy from seatle

most of the passion and warefare album..

• Members

hmm,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

go listen to sex and religion

• 1 month later...
  • Members

If you want a classic song go listen to Billy Joel or Paul Simon, they've written a bunch. If you want a guitar hero who has been able to do things with the guitar many just dream about, listen to Steve Vai, or the select group of guys that are in his realm of playing. Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Steve Morse, Robert Fripp, Stanley Jordan, Al Dimeola, Paul Gilbert, the late Michael Hedges, just to name a few different people that I put in that realm of guitar masters. By the way I dont think of just anybody who can play fast guitar as masters. I think guys like Yngwie, Michael Angelo Batio, Rusty Cooley are gimmicky players at best. Playing fast for the sake of playing fast

• Members

For the record:

Steve Vai is one of the most open minded, kindest, humble, uninhibited gentlemen and musicians you could ever possibly meet. Don't know why anyone would think he was "full of himself". Yngwie is full of himself. Eddie is full of himself. Not Steve.

He has a really GOOFY sense of humor, and hams it up for fun.

Steve doesn't care one iota about "marketability".

A poseur is someone who poses but cannot play. Steve can straight rip. He was bored with pentatonic "blues" wanking 30 years ago, when he joined Zappa's band at 17 years old, prior to filling in for Yngwie in Alcatraz, the EVH in Van Halen, not to mention everything else he has done, including G3.

If he you think he dresses and acts "gay" then I hope to god you are not on your way to an Aerosmith concert, because between the singer and guitarist, you will see more "gayness" than should be allowed on one stage, not to mention posing and "stupid faces".

You do not have to like or listen to him.

:thu: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

I've always wanted to see Steve Vai handed a Tele and forced to play a 12 bar blues....I'd love to hear some more 'conventional' ripping from him. Lots of his stuff is amazing, but just a bit too 'out there' for me to get into.

Larry

I don't know if you consider this 'conventional', but he's got some killer chops on:

David Lee Roth: Eat 'Em and Smile

(check out Yankee Rose and others)

David Lee Roth: Skyscraper

Whitesnake: Slip of the Tongue

I agree - some of his stuff IS out there, and he enjoys acting cheesy on stage, but he's got amazing chops!

• Members

Originally posted by marloni

if you liked the tender surrender video, check this...

no way man vai ruled on the latest G3. audience was listening, building the church and kumpeeduwee hehe. his playing was right on, very sharp.

Who's Vai in that video... lol the question may seem dumb but both could look like steve vai...

• Members
Originally posted by ZepFuzz05

That last video wasn't that impressive either. A mediocre melody, embellished by typical chord layering and unnecessary solo runs along the way. All along with a sound that seems overprocessed and lifeless even when its a live guitar. . .Haha. Whatever. He's a remarkable technical musician, but he is so detached from musicality and emotional urgency. He doesn't seem like he has to struggle for anything and that nothing is truly desperate, or intense, or really even honest. Everything is just so contrived and tainted by this virtuoso mentality.

Being a virtuoso is not a bad thing. But when you play like that and call it great composition or songwriting, then please, get it away from me.

Well said icon14.gif

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Saw Vai last night, interviewed him last week, and reviewed the new record as well. Extremely nice dude and puts on a helluva show. I'm not usually into that style of playing, but he kept me entertained the entire time! Here are links. SPAM!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/08/album-review-steve-vai-the-story-of-light/

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/countygrind/2012/08/steve_vai_fort_lauderdale_review_revolution_live.php

Archived