Steve Vai video...amazing

Fireproof

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Steve usually makes a video of his hands playing the guitar so transcribers can get it correct. The Video grew out of that. He is "Guitar Synching" but he hits every note.

Also, that's a copyrighted Video, I doubt its legal to put it on that website.

• Members

My god. I can't believe that I'm saying this...but that was pretty badass. I liked the first half better and really didn't care for the shred wankery so much.

But what's with the pseudo-mullet and the bare chest.

I dig his faces. It looks like he's having the hugest {censored}ing orgasm ever up until around 4:00 where he's walking out on the chick (guy?) with a cig in his mouth.

Also, what's with the HORRIBLE technique with his thumb on top/over the neck? I find it ironic that 90% of the forum criticized me for having my thumb on top while the guitar gods that they jerk off to do exactly what they criticize me for. :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

I find it ironic that 90% of the forum criticized me for having my thumb on top while the guitar gods that they jerk off to do exactly what they criticize me for.
:rolleyes:

I wonder if those folks also criticize EVH and every other shredder for tapping? "What are you doing? The right hand isn't supposed to go on the fretboard, it strums and picks the strings!! :eek: "

Isn't that how innovation works?

• Members

oh that first vid brings back memories:> First time ive heard/seen Vai, i was so blown away. I still think thats one of his best songs, evne though i dont even know the name of that song(anyone know?). Very melodic, perfect amount of whammy tricks and shredding wankage...and well i think its one of his more generic sounding songs. Its the stuff that he does towards the end of that song that really annoys me, the duck(?) sound thing he did the wah pedal, just not into that;o.

About his tone, i think its a bit too much on the rbight side, i do love the rubber band sound however:>. But i would muhc prefer it if it was fuller like in some Pain of Salvation solos.

• Members

i don't think that's live playing. it's sounds like he synched with the studio recording of that song 'tender surrender'. That song was actually inspired by carlos santana. it sounds reminicent of Europa. If you like that, check out the latest G3 DVD in tokyo. Vai rules there.

• Members

Good for you. Who are you to say what I'd rather not watch?

Cuts both ways, brother.

I don't watch the "popular" crap either, for that matter, but Vai is just a pain to watch. Enough playing with your damn hair, already. And wear a {censored}ing shirt. No one wants to see that damn hairless torso.

Finally, I did say that the guy could play. There's no denying it. He is technically extremely gifted.

I just wish he had something to say with all that technique, which he usually sorely lacks imho.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

Good for you. Who are you to say what I'd rather not watch?

Cuts both ways, brother.

I don't watch the "popular" crap either, for that matter, but Vai is just a pain to watch. Enough playing with your damn hair, already. And wear a {censored}ing shirt. No one wants to see that damn hairless torso.

Finally, I did say that the guy could play. There's no denying it. He is technically extremely gifted.

I just wish he had something to say with all that technique, which he usually sorely lacks imho.

I usually don't debate something as subjective as people's musical tastes, but...

You did say "there's a man that should not be in a video." That comes across a lot differently than a statement like "I don't care to watch his antics" or something like that.

In other words - your comment was judging him like you are an expert on qualifications for being on camera. That is what evoked the response from marloni. Had you simply said you don't like to watch him, or you don't like his looks, or whatever, I think there would be less 'attitude' coming through the text. Just my $0.02. I'm not trying to flame, just trying to help.

Regarding "having something to say" with his music, don't 2 Grammies, at least 5 other Grammy Nominations and countless international awards speak otherwise?

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what they consider good or great music...

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

read it as you please. It was a take on the famous "here's a guy with a face made for radio, not TV" line. After watching that video, he clearly is a guy made for CDs, not DVDs to me.

Gotcha. I'm not trying to start any fights - I'm new around here and don't know everyone's personalities yet. So sometimes it's hard to read "winks" or other joking / lighthearted emotion without smileys.

Anyway, that's a funny way to put it and I understand what you mean.

Cheers.

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

I love this video and can't stop watching it. Check it out.

I liked it. He draws from a lot of influences in his playing, and very tastefully. In that piece I could hear Wes Montgomery, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Eddie Van Halen, Frank Zappa, and even a little Utopia-era Todd Rundgren on the whammy bar.

(Where is the soul of Steve Vai in that mix?)

• Members
Originally posted by SorrowAblaze

I've probally watched the video like 15 times now ... it just blows my mind!

I don't get the guy that saying Vai has no feeling in this - it seems to me his soul is pouring out
:confused:
I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone else so into it.

Exactly.

Some people seem to think "emotion" is only limited to pentatonics... *sigh*

Say what you want about Vai, I think there is just some jealousy here. Steve ain't no wanker, there are piles of wankers out there, alot coming out of the 80's. Steve ain't one of them. He knows his way back and forwards on the guitar, and damn sure knows how to use it. Ive listened to alot of guitarists that people rave about, and I dont hear much of this so called "emotion." They dont have a fraction of the emotion Steve's got, in my opinion. It just goes fast, and you have to keep up with it to get it, which is were most people get lost.

Whatever moves you moves you. Steve Vai moves me because of the mindblowing soundscapes he creates on the guitar. The better and better I get at guitar, the more and more I understand the mentality of what its like to play music like Steve, and the more and more I realize that Steve's playing, is totally emotional. Its too fast for alot of people to comprehend, but after a while, your mind adjusts to it and it slows it down for you, and it really is pretty cool what he's doing. Something about his playing speaks down deep to my very soul, I can't explain it, but when I play my guitar, I can FEEL what im playing, even if its some lighting fast picking stuff, it all makes sense and beautiful music in my head.

If you dont like him, you dont have to. Just dont bash him because he plays faster than Jeff Beck.

I think its funny how people cant get past his fashion. That video was taken right about 1994, and that kind of crap was kinda the style. Yeah, its weird, but get over it.Its STEVE VAI, whaddaya expect? dockers and a sweatervest? If Eric Clapton played shirtless, nobody would give a {censored}, your just nitpicking!

• Members
Originally posted by Gex

They dont have a fraction of the emotion Steve's got, in my opinion. It just goes fast, and you have to keep up with it to get it, which is were most people get lost.

Whatever moves you moves you. Steve Vai moves me because of the mindblowing soundscapes he creates on the guitar. The better and better I get at guitar, the more and more I understand the mentality of what its like to play music like Steve, and the more and more I realize that Steve's playing, is totally emotional. Its too fast for alot of people to comprehend, but after a while, your mind adjusts to it and it slows it down for you, and it really is pretty cool what he's doing. Something about his playing speaks down deep to my very soul, I can't explain it, but when I play my guitar, I can FEEL what im playing, even if its some lighting fast picking stuff, it all makes sense and beautiful music in my head.

If you dont like him, you dont have to. Just dont bash him because he plays faster than Jeff Beck.

:thu:

Some of the same people that say his playing has no feeling make fun of his orgasm faces he makes while jamming ... DAMMIT - hes REALLY into it - {censored} that part at 1:53 I grit my teeth just hearing him play it!

Jeez. Hes a master, and thats the end of it. Really.

Archived