Steve Vai video...amazing

Fireproof

• Members

Originally posted by ZepFuzz05

The problem is, Bach fugues fit the organ and sound brilliant and mature. Electric guitar is a very different beast. I believe that if one wants to play classical leaning styles of music, you do it with a classical guitar, since it sounds lovely, tasteful and natural. Using a big distorted electric guitar to do it is more than cheesy. Have you listened to Vai do Bach's 5th symphony? Its a joke. I just laugh. Electric guitar is not piano, nor violin, nor cello or any of those, and is not suited to produce, natural tasteful tones for complex classical-style music. It comes off sounding ridiculous and goofy (i.e. Vai).

see, again, here's the problem with your posts- you post personal opinions (which you're more than entitled to, by the way) as facts. i play piano too- does that mean i can only play classical stuff on the piano, but can only wail dem ol' blues on th guitar? i'm also pretty sure it wasn't vai doing beethoven's fifth- i know yngwie did a bit of it on one of his live records (live in leningrad, i think)...

and bach and beethoven were considered "out there" when they were alive...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nobody has mentioned it, Vai plays with humour. You have to laugh at some of the things he does, but you don't laugh at a fool, you laugh at a master having fun. Enjoy it or don't.

PS The new G3 is awesome, and Vai steals the show. Talk about funny, you gotta see it.

• Members

IMO, textbook Vai: proficient, overflowing with superfluous technique. Tedious to watch, really does embarress me to see a guy pulling faces like he's jerking off. :eek:

What's the ultimatum in this thread of 'you either like and respect Vai as a great emotive player, or you only like slow blues?' There are more than two boxes to fit guitar playing into, to state the obvious which seems to need stating here.

Vai is indeed a great player. But the only thing he moves in me is my finger towards the stop button. Maybe it wouldn't hurt him to hit a duff note from time to time... hell, a lot of my favourite players do and incorporate it into the solo.

As a side note, that tone is AWFUL. The clean is so sterile it's painful. :bor:

• Members

Originally posted by garyd

What's the ultimatum in this thread of 'you either like and respect Vai as a great emotive player, or you only like slow blues?' There are more than two boxes to fit guitar playing into, to state the obvious which seems to need stating here.

yeah, i said that earlier too, and i think it's stupid that you only either like shred or blues...

i actually like most kinds of music, rock, metal, jazz, blues, classical, etc., as long as it's not damned pop, hip-hop/rap or dance music

• Members

Those that say Vai has no emotion should really listen to the song "For the love of god". Such simple melody, but he makes a beast out of it. Slow bits, fast bits its all put together so well.

But anyways i think shred can invoke some emotions that slow music can never do. In some songs it feels like huge landslide, in other it feels like pushing a guy down the steps and well in flight of the bumblebee it sounds like a fly. A person that can play both shred and slow is alot more versatile in creating emotions that can go up and down.

IMO shred will only appeal to those with a sense that can take in all its worth. To some people its just a blur of notes that go no where, and well to those who can appreciate it, you knwo waht its like:>. But relaly it all comes down on how the person is focused on the music, with some songs i find myself listening to the bass and beats where as my friends would rave on and on about the vocals, which really just seems like a blur to me that just happens to complement the song.

ps i dont particularly enjoy some of his stage moves, but i dont think his posing at all.....

• Members

I'll say it again...

I don't like shred. For the most part is gives me a headache due to its relentless stupidity.

But that dude was pretty badass in that first video (in the original post). I dug all of the crazy facial and body motions.

I didn't care for the super fast shred/tapping stuff. But the slower stuff was kind of nice, and the faster distorted stuff was pretty badass aside from the shred moments. Believe it or not, I think I heard quite a bit of Dave Gilmour in the distorted part, especially in the bends.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

I'll say it again...

But the slower stuff was kind of nice, and the faster distorted stuff was pretty badass aside from the shred moments. Believe it or not, I think I heard quite a bit of Dave Gilmour in the distorted part, especially in the bends.

I agree that I hear a lot if other people's signature styles in Vai's playing.

He is an extremely versatile chameleon who is able to play in named styles at the virtuoso level. In one interview regarding his early years, when he was fresh from Berklee and working with Zappa (but not yet in the band), he related that Frank would "pimp" him on this. FZ would tell him to play some well know musical figure, then to play it again in a 7/8 time signature, then to play it again in 7/8 time with a reggae beat, etc. Vai was such a freakazoid at being able to do things like that, that Frank would call his wife Gail on the phone and have her come down to the studio just to witness the demonstration.

• Members

Sigh.. How can you guys not like Vai??? :( :( :(

Saying he has no emotion is completely retarded. Listen to For The Love of God or Blue Powder, awesome songs, lots of feeling put into them.

Theres more than one kind of emotion that can be portrayed in muisic, and it is rediculous to say that its limited to the blues. Don't get me wrong, I love blues, but shred has tons of soul, you just need to know where to look, and how to appriciate it.

:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by jem7vwh

Sigh.. How can you guys not like Vai???
:(

Saying he has no emotion is completely retarded. Listen to For The Love of God or Blue Powder, awesome songs, lots of feeling put into them.

Theres more than one kind of emotion that can be portrayed in muisic, and it is rediculous to say that its limited to the blues. Don't get me wrong, I love blues, but shred has tons of soul, you just need to know where to look, and how to appriciate it.

:wave:

It's an uphill battle trying to explain to these "one note" types dude. It IS possible to express emotion with lots of notes----examples are Vai, Eric Johnson, Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia, John Mclaughlin, etc. Some people however can apparently only sense "emotion" when it's in the form of the penatonic scale. :rolleyes:

• Members

This {censored} cracks me up.
All you guys saying he looks gay, or dresses funny, or makes funny faces, etc.
It's freakin' show business! It's an act! He's not doing it cause he's in love with himself or thinks he's cool, he's putting on a SHOW!
He plays instrumental guitar stuff that is over the heads of most all non-guitarists yet he sells albums to them and gets them to come to his shows. Why? He's an entertainer. He gives them something to see. He plays the music he wants and makes it entertaining.
That's what it's all about, isn't it?

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

This {censored} cracks me up.

All you guys saying he looks gay, or dresses funny, or makes funny faces, etc.

It's freakin' show business! It's an act! He's not doing it cause he's in love with himself or thinks he's cool, he's putting on a SHOW!

He plays instrumental guitar stuff that is over the heads of most all non-guitarists yet he sells albums to them and gets them to come to his shows. Why? He's an entertainer. He gives them something to see. He plays the music he wants and makes it entertaining.

That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Exactly!

that's what music is all about. Something to be enjoyed. You either like it or you don't.

I have no problems with ppl hating Vai (my wife can't stand him but she thinks he's sexy!!!???), but for some of the ppl here coming up with ridiculous statements that they portray as 'facts'....

I'm still bewildered that ppl say he plays with no emotion. He's a modern day paganini! He expresses himself by abusing the hell out of his instrument. It's not Neil Young, it's Steve Vai.

It's ironic that when Hendrix first came out ppl said he was gimmicky. Now they all worship his poster.

On the other hand you've got a guy who is saying that electric guitar can't be used to play complex music because it sounds 'goofy'. It's as though Charlie Christian and Django Reindhart all never existed and the electric is only designed for one-note bending.

Well, that's all I'm going to rant on this thread. I love the video. I just wish ppl were'nt such closed-minded snobs, it makes me embarrased to be a guitarist...

• Members

Nah, thats the long-discontinued Ibanez Backstop

backstop1.jpg

backstop2.jpg

Pretty cool, and pretty rare. They go on ebay for about $200 apiece. Hop on that if you want. ;)

The hipshot replaces operates like a spring. I think he uses these for most of his other guitars.

Archived