grunge782

• Members

Right now I'm trying to decide between a S&P Woodland Pro

gtrwoodprospruce.jpg

http://www.simonandpatrick.com/woodlandprospruce.htm

and a Wechter DN-8118

1295490133_productdesc_image_file_DN8118

http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/Dreadnought/DN-8118

I know the Wechter is Chinese, but they are plek'd...I try not to judge too much on country of origin anymore.

Anybody had a chance to play either of these? I like a good warm, woody sound with solid lows. I don't need a lot of highs/treble.

• Members

One of my equipment reps had a trunk full of those Wechters last time he was by the shop. Out of maybe half a dozen, only one sounded good. Lively, nice and even. The others all played well, but sounded lifeless. I would never buy an acoustic I couldn't try first.

• Members

Are they both plekked these days?

My experience is that the Simon & Patrick stuff sounds better but is more difficult to play out of the box.

I've played maybe 8 Wecheters at Sweetwater and, while they play great, they aren't exceptionally rewarding in the sound department.

I've never owned either and my overall experience is for a budget acoustic, I'd lean heavily towards buying something I could play first, go with what sound best and budget in a setup.

• Members

Does somebody really feel the need to post this in every thread like this? Obviously I would if I could, but the only way I can get either is online.

i'm not lecturing you... the thread title is "what would you do?"... that's what i'd do

i feel that particularly when it comes to acoustic guitars, trying before you buy is the way to go... and i don't mean a particular model.. i mean the actual guitar

• Members

Are they both plekked these days?

No -- Godin-built guitars are not pleked, but I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. In my experience, the Wechter's I've handled (and it's been no more than two or three) were, I felt, rather heavily built and braced and not terribly lively tone-wise whereas the Seagulls and S&Ps I've picked up (and these are sold in a lot of shops here, so I've handled more than a few) were what I tend to like: Lightly-braced, lightly-finished and VERY resonant. I guess I'm saying I would prefer the S&P all other things being equal...

• Members

No -- Godin-built guitars are not pleked, but I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. In my experience, the Wechter's I've handled (and it's been no more than two or three) were, I felt, rather heavily built and braced and not terribly lively tone-wise whereas the Seagulls and S&Ps I've picked up (and these are sold in a lot of shops here, so I've handled more than a few) were what I tend to like: Lightly-braced, lightly-finished and VERY resonant. I guess I'm saying I would prefer the S&P all other things being equal...

This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks, I'll go with the S&P then.

• Members

That's absolutely been my experience as well. I didn't say it as clearly as I could/should have, but if I were looking for something between these two manufacturers, I'd let my ears and fingers decide, but there's a much better chance I'd go for the S&P over a Wechter. That's what I kind of hinted at with the 'then I'd budget in a setup as funds allow' part... I'd suspect out of the box, there'd be a very good chance the Wechter would play better and the S&P would sound better. A proper setup would go a long way to making an S&P be a very good choice in the ~$800 price range.

Hell, I had one of those Wild Cherry Art & Lutherie guitars that I bought for $125 used with one of those foamy hard-ish cases. A little bridge work and new strings and that thing sounded incredible. Admittedly I've never played a fully set up Simon & Patrick, but I've played a number of them out of the box and they were all decent players and they all sounded great. The Wechters I've played at Sweetwater all played fantastically and were somewhere between 'kinda good' and 'not that good' sounding but they give the feeling that they'd take a fair bit of abuse. Never played any of their guitars plugged in so perhaps the more dead sounding Wechters would excel at loud stage volumes.

• Members

Take your time and do your research. Both of those are good guitars, but make sure that you check out this on your iPad or at Barnes and Noble:

305030_3980974134760_1144974566_n.jpg

And check out what the CEO of Walden Guitars has to say about China, etc.: (sorry if these are big--I'm using my iPad and it's kind of complicated capturing stuff from newsstand pubs).

484139_3980973334740_1536321427_n.jpg

582826_3980973654748_438090553_n.jpg

Archived