SuperChamp X2 vs Mustang series

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Haven't owned either but have been trying both out.

The superchamp uses the same fuse modeling software but is over a tube amp.

The one channel on the champ is just a good ole fender clean and is the clear winner in my book.

Mustangs have different sizes available, are a little lighter and no tubes to burn up or break.

I like the sound on the champ better.

• Members

I'm a little confused; does the SCX2 have essentially the same Mustang modelling engine, only using a tube preamp and tube power section, or is it a subset of the mustang, or ???

Kind of - the x2 had the Fuse tweakability and USB interface that the XD didn't have.

Now, having said the above, on to the OP: I have had the following: Mustang I, Mustand III, SCXD and the SCX2. Out of all of those, I currently only have the MustangIII, which IMO is the all-around best out of the bunch, with SCXD coming in a close second.

The Mustangs and the SCX2 have the Fuse capability, but the Mustang III has the advantages on the onboard LCD screen and controls that allow you to do a bunch of tweaking without being tethered to a PC. Also, the MIII has the 12" Celestion speaker, which makes a world of difference over the other three. The amount of great tones available in this amp are mind-boggling, yet, if you can dial in at least three or four like I mostly do, that's really all that is needed for it to pay for itself.

The SCXD , like EG said above, has that great tubey Fender clean, and there are some good voicings on channel two. If you need something smaller and you are not looking to hook it up to a PC, go with it. OTOH, the SCX2 was a big disappointment, which IMO came mostly due to the uncharacteristically crap build quality in the one I got - very flimsy particle board cabinet, flimsy components, and a plastic adhesive front panel. While the sounds were good, the cab rattle was just too much - I couldn't even buffer it out. I was really surprised because the SCXD was built in China, while the SCX2 is built in Mexico...oh, well.

The Mustang I is probably the best practice amp around $100, but the smaller and cheaper speaker takes away from the voices, and gets quite farty at higher volumes.

• Members

Do they take pedals well? (I know they have the built in amp models and overdrive but I like some of my old pedals)

The most important things for me are a realistic and good sound Fender clean and usable tones.

It's probably between the Mustang III and the SCX2 Combo or Head/Non-Fender 1x12 Cab. I am thinking the Mustang III is less hassle and maintenance without tubes. I have had trouble finding good/realistic sounding purely digital (no tube hybrid) modeling amps though. I've tried all except the Mustang series... I wonder if it's significantly better sounding than other digital amps in terms of clean and natural sounding breakup.

• Members

Do they take pedals well? (I know they have the built in amp models and overdrive but I like some of my old pedals)

The most important things for me are a realistic and good sound Fender clean and usable tones.

It's probably between the Mustang III and the SCX2 Combo or Head/Non-Fender 1x12 Cab. I am thinking the Mustang III is less hassle and maintenance without tubes. I have had trouble finding good/realistic sounding purely digital (no tube hybrid) modeling amps though. I've tried all except the Mustang series... I wonder if it's significantly better sounding than other digital amps in terms of clean and natural sounding breakup.

Don't know about pedals through the Mustangs, but the XD took them pretty well...

What I would recommend is try the MIII in a shop if possible, and even though there are some pretty good presets, go immediately to the basic Fender amp models (and a Vox and a couple of Marshalls) in the upper 80s/lower 90s channels - they are excellent starting points without a lot of outrageous effects settings to cloud your judgement :)

• Members

Think I would go with the M III. They sound great at lower volume and have headphone jack..also like my MII because it has AUX jack for my MP3 player.

The SC2 are nice but not sure how it would fair in an apartment.

• Members

Don't know about pedals through the Mustangs, but the XD took them pretty well...

What I would recommend is try the MIII in a shop if possible, and even though there are some pretty good presets, go immediately to the basic Fender amp models (and a Vox and a couple of Marshalls) in the upper 80s/lower 90s channels - they are excellent starting points without a lot of outrageous effects settings to cloud your judgement
:)

Yeah I had a SCXD which sounded pretty good, only thing that I didn't like was the bad low end on the 10" speaker and the farting when I cranked it. Hopefully they have it solved on the new one. If I get the SCX2 I'd probably get the head with a 1x12 cab since I'm sure they haven't improved the speaker much.

• Members

Yeah I had a SCXD which sounded pretty good, only thing that I didn't like was the bad low end on the 10" speaker and the farting when I cranked it. Hopefully they have it solved on the new one. If I get the SCX2 I'd probably get the head with a 1x12 cab since I'm sure they haven't improved the speaker much.

My only complaint with the SCXD was the low end hisssssssss. Art apartment volumes that could get old. I have no idea if the SCx2 has that issue.

It was a super recording amp though, I had three of them and wish I still had one.

• Members

I've owned a mustang I, II, an original vibro champ xd and I've tried the x2 in the store. I think the I and II are good amps but think the super champ x2 really does sound a lot better than the original series and is a bit nicer than the mustangs.

Archived