I'll Just Leave This Right Here

Elias Graves

• Members

I have the blondie, and after the guitar shop tech fiddled with a fret or two and other modest adjustments (for free!) I feel it's a great value and plays very well, however the tone/volume circuits excessively load the pickups providing too much low-pass filtering.

Since I never use volume and tone controls on guitars (prefer volume pedal, muting, pick attack, etc) I may just bypass all the volume and tone controls which should unload the P90's significantly thus allowing the higher frequencies to not be shunted to ground.

• Members

How difficult would it be to replace the bigsby with a trapeze tailpiece? How noticeable would the screw holes be, and would it be reversible? If I decide to leave the bigsby off permanently, how could I go about filling and "hiding" the screw holes?

Any comments about doing this to replace the bigsby? Has anyone done this before?

• Members

^^ Why not just take the arm off of it and leave it? I do find that mine does throw mine out of tune "big time" (I've bought a graphtec bridge for it which I'll eventually install which should help) but the mass of the Bigsby depends the tone which may or may not be desirable for players. I like the character it adds the guitar, but in its stock condition, I just leave it alone unless I want to retune. :lol:

P.S. I tried a Dan Erlewine recommended trick of string up over (instead of under) the tension bar to improve the "return to tuning" action, but I thought it was a really dumb idea and just had to restring it back under. With the strings over the top, there wasn't enough downward pressure on the bridge either for keeping the strings in place on the saddles or for good tone. I have no idea how Dan got that to work for him.

IMO - new bridge (or saddles), new nut (graphite) and new electronics (at least the p'ups) and then the WK can be a diamond in the rough.

Archived