String Swings are awesome.

honeyiscool

• Members

Yeah, I have six of them. I've put mine into stud though... didn't use the anchors.

I had a couple of whatever the brand is that has the little protector tabs that swing in place when you put the weight of the guitar on the hanger... didn't like those.

• Members

It is nice to have your guitars right there where you can grab them, yet still have them be safe. I find that I play more of my guitars, more often because they are so readily available.

Definitely. Wall hangers were among the first things I put up in my new apartment. And I have enough guitars that I don't even need pictures on the wall. Guitars are decorative enough.

• Members

I have a box full of String Swings but now I'm thinking I might have preferred the Hercules versions. I like their auto-grab system on their stands. With the SSs, you have to bend the yoke in for smaller headstocks, and then your strings catch on the yoke, and you have to angle the guitar in, when you go to use the SS for wider neck/headstock guitars; whereas with the Hercules, it auto-adjusts. Also, I know Hercules has a reputation for being "nitro-friendly" but I'm not as sure about the rubber on String Swings, but I'd guess it's fine. But I do want to get some wall mounts like above. I had long thought of getting a Jay Turser Mako Shark and then using one of those wall mounts set horizontally so I could have mounted it like a fish on my wall. Too bad, the Mako Shark was discontinued before that little dream came true. :cry:. But I also thought that $300 plus the hanger would have been a bit much to pay for wall art that would need dusting. But maybe someday I'll find one being flippered on ebay.

jayjtshark.jpg

• Members

I love how they look hanging on the wall. But no way would I trust installing those using anchors...studs or not at all.

I have plastic anchors that are rated for more than 100 pounds per anchor in 1/2" drywall. The bundled anchors are not quite as diesel but I doubt an 8 pound guitar would do much to two of them.

• Members

Studs for mine too... 16" spacing is a little tight, so I stagger the heights. If I ever redo the room I will probably install a rail and put the string swings where I want them.
:cool:

I've done that before.

191108_10100489038499721_1915838402_o.jp

I'll probably replace these with String Swings, though. The guitars right now get way too close to the ceiling fan. That said, the birch looks nice.

• Members

A decent anchor properly installed can hold well over 100 lbs. I don't think an 8 lb guitar is going to be an issue.

Especially when you look at how these things are made, I agree. The plastic anchors that come bundled are very good.

That said, upgrading to Toggler plastic anchors would give you even more of an upgrade, plus they're a bit easier to install. Those things really look like they could take a beating, especially with how they expand with a pop when a screw is inside of them. Plus, they're cheap. While you're at the store, might as well buy some #8 screws instead of the #6 that come bundled.

togglerSnap%20Skru.jpg

I know some people think that studs or bust, but drywall is very strong material. The main problem with drywall is its softness isn't a good vessel for metal screws, but its strength is plenty excellent. Anchors can be considered very reliable.

• Members

I know in my head how strong anchors are supposed to be, and I've used them with success for other things. But psychologically, there's no way I'd trust one (or even two) to hold one of my guitars. I just don't want to find myself in the position of looking down at a broken guitar exclaiming "but the package says they'll hold up to 100 pounds!"

Archived