String Swings are awesome.

honeyiscool

• Members

With crappy anchors, that could be a concern. With good ones, they stay in place once there's a screw in there. And there are two.

If you want to be super paranoid, drywall screws, which people often use to install things, are brittle and break easily.

its not the anchors i'd be worried about, but the sheetrock, which is essentially just crumbly gypsum sandwiched between paper. i'd just be concerned that over time, with taking guitars up & down off the wall regularly, the sheetrock could deteriorate because of the slight movement of the guitar hanger.

again just a personal thing & me being probably over-cautious

• Members

I'd worry if guitars weighed anything, but they really don't. I would think drywall, if it were to, would deteriorate over time anyway and be pretty obviously deteriorating. I don't really see how two plastic toggles can both fall out at the same time without any prior sign of deterioration, which is the risk you're speaking of.

Also, people hang heavy mirrors regularly off anchors, and far worse than the anchors that come with String Swings. And most things people hang on toggles are over 10 pounds. People sometimes do pullups on things hanging on toggles just to test how strong they are. And they can take it.

(And lastly, guitars break because of a 4 foot free fall?)

• Members

I'd worry if guitars weighed anything, but they really don't. I would think drywall, if it were to, would deteriorate over time anyway and be pretty obviously deteriorating. I don't really see how two plastic toggles can both fall out at the same time without any prior sign of deterioration, which is the risk you're speaking of.

Also, people hang heavy mirrors regularly off anchors, and far worse than the anchors that come with String Swings. And most things people hang on toggles are over 10 pounds. People sometimes do pullups on things hanging on toggles just to test how strong they are. And they can take it.

(And lastly, guitars break because of a 4 foot free fall?)

I'll risk a $40 mirror falling and breaking. That's cheap and easy to replace. I won't risk a guitar I paid +/- $1000 falling. I admit that it's purely psychological for me, but there's a stud every 16" so it's not that hard to move at most 15" one way or the other to get the psychological security of drilling into stud.

(And yes, I once saw a headstock break off from less than a 4 foot fall. And a four foot fall would at a minimum put a pretty nasty dent in a guitar.)

Archived