Dirk Wacker

Meowy

• Members

I've long thought that ideally there wouldn't be any paint between the neck and the neck pocket. And that that area should be planed/sanded rather than shimmed.

:idk:

Having said that, I've never removed any paint from a neck pocket nor have I planed or sanded a neck pocket and I think all my guitars sound pretty damn decent.

:lol:

• Members

Regarding neck pockets I kinda wonder how micro-tilts fit into that equation. I do remove the paper from all neck joints and sand lightly to remove any residue - more of a Fender issue. Regarding shims, yeah I've gotten away from using plastic in favor of wood because of perceived sound quality. I have actually fashioned wooden wedges which taper down from the back of the neck pocket for greater contact. I have a Washburn Custom Shop Tele (Grover Jackson era) that has the perfect neck pocket (no shims) and my Strats are just as resonant all the way up the board. Interesting about the bridge to body contact - I just always assumed that area was paint free. No desire to check though, very happy with the way mine sound.

• Members

um sorry but this guy is clueless. Clearly he never removed paint from anything. Trying to remove paint form the cavity, unless it was all nitro, would be almost impossible with sandpaper. The amount of work involved would be ridiculous. especially since those areas are cut out and would be the same as end grain which soaks up a ton of paint.

unless you use like 80 grit, but then you wil be removing wood and it will look like crap.

Archived