Middle pickup on a Stratlike

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

Every position on my strat sounds amazing.

Every position sounds great, but not every position is appropriate for every song. I'd say that's a major factor in pickup selection, and that in combination with personal taste and other equipment choices is likely why we're seeing such a range of opinions.

• Members

Oups, I misread and voted can't live without it. Actually I never use it on its own.

I don't understand how a middle pickup gets in the way of anyone's picking...
:freak:

I'm relatively new to strats and yet, it is my go-to guitar at this time. The middle pup is in the way often when I pick especially when fingerpicking. so I must be a :freak:

:D

• Members

I'm mainly a classic rock and blues player and I rarely stray away from the neck pickup. I guess I've found a tone I'm happy with and stuck with it.

But in my new originals band, playing folky, indie, grungy rock stuff I use all five positions and constantly fiddle with the tone controls - definitely couldn't do without the middle pickup.

My Strat has Texas Special pickups, which I think work best when set very low, almost flush with the pickguard; they never get in the way. I'm pretty comfortable playing a Strat - whenever I pick up a vintage Tele I constantly jar my hand against the raised metal part of the bridge plate though.

• Members

If anything, it's the bridge pickup I never use. Well, the stock one. i use the quartpounder-equipped strat bridge pickup sparingly.

The middle pickup is what I want a strat to sound like. It's good for rhythm or lead. It sounds sort of like an acoustic in my imagination. I never use 2 and 4 either. Funny how strat guys are all different, huh?

Archived