Wow...Check this out...this is TIIIGHT!

soundcreation

• Members

See, I didn't think it was that bad until about halfway through. It's not the rapping necessarily, I just got tired of the music after about 2 minutes. The guitar part (or sound effect, really - it sounded like one of those random samples that get looped behind a lot of rap songs) got annoying after a while, and not a whole lot changed in the background other than a few crashes on the cymbals. To each his/her own, though. Not every song has to have a bunch of parts for people to like it.

This type of music is based on groove repetition. Pedals and ostinatos with elements weaving in and out rather than sing-songy A/B/C/D changes. You either like that sort thing or you don't. The groove in this one is a bit frantic, so I can see why it might push some folks over the edge after a couple of minutes. The guitar part was definitely being played live in that clip though.

I get extremely agitated after hear a 12 bar blues repeated for an hour straight.

• Members

Yeah that one is pretty cool too. I'm not as big a fan of Jay Z...his flow isn't that impressive to me but I do have a lot of respect for his content.

Same here. I'm kinda new too the hip hop world. Lately, I've been digging some of the old school stuff; digital underground, dead prez, dre. If you have any suggestions for good newer stuff I'm always open to suggestions. :)

• Members

Same here. I'm kinda new too the hip hop world. Lately, I've been digging some of the old school stuff; digital underground, dead prez, dre. If you have any suggestions for good newer stuff I'm always open to suggestions.
:)

Well...I'm no expert either...but yeah..a few things.....

My absolute favorite rapper is Chali 2na (originally from Jurassic 5..check them out...amazing)

He's got a couple solo albums out recently

Here's one of my favorites...

[video=youtube;01qwM8_jeos]

And this is a cool Aussie hip hop band.....featuring Chali as well...lol..

[video=youtube;FuDw2QnDTqs]

• Members

This type of music is based on groove repetition. Pedals and ostinatos with elements weaving in and out rather than sing-songy A/B/C/D changes. You either like that sort thing or you don't. The groove in this one is a bit frantic, so I can see why it might push some folks over the edge after a couple of minutes. The guitar part was definitely being played live in that clip though.

I get extremely agitated after hear a 12 bar blues repeated for an hour straight.

I guess for me it depends. There are some rap/hip-hop songs that I actually do like, even if they don't have a lot of changes. Yeah, I know that the guitar part was being played live (there were spots where he choked or stuttered the part as an added effect), but I called it a sound effect because that's what it was probably intended to be, rather than piece of accompaniment.

I also get bored with the 12-bar blues.

• Members

I enjoyed it as well. Eminem's got some great flow and having the live band really added to the track. I enjoy hip-hop as an extension of bands like P-Funk, and I like it when DJ's mess with the records they're sampling. I can live the rest of my life without hearing another rapper doing his thing over a sample from Clive Stubblefield's break in 'Funky Drummer'.

[video=youtube;dNP8tbDMZNE]

• Members

Didn't hate it. Had a good feel overall but I just can't get on board with that much hate sound.
:idk:

+1.

I've always liked his rapping, but think it's best when it's broken up a bit. I started to tune out after 1:30 or so, just too much of the same thing.

And yeah, I'm familiar with the sound-shifted stuff as well, from lots of genres, and I do go for it. In this case it just didn't shift enough, or in an interesting enough way, to keep my attention. To each their own.

• Members

I enjoyed that. While I think that a lot of rap is just beat poetry (actually most of it) I appreciate those that have originality in the music over those that don't. I think Slim Shady is one dude that is very much a musician as opposed to a poet. Granted I'm completely the wrong demographic for rap but there is a lot of it that I do like when there is good originality in the music

edit

My absolute favorite rapper is Chali 2na (originally from Jurassic 5..check them out...amazing)

This is good too great groove going on in the back

• Members

I enjoyed that. While I think that a lot of rap is just beat poetry (actually most of it) I appreciate those that have originality in the music over those that don't. I think Slim Shady is one dude that is very much a musician as opposed to a poet. Granted I'm completely the wrong demographic for rap but there is a lot of it that I do like when there is good originality in the music

edit

This is good too great groove going on in the back

That is true to an extent...that it's beat poetry....but where the best rappers shine (for me anyway), is when they use they almost "sing" their raps. Of course I'm not saying they are singers...but like great singers, they understand how to listen to the song and use accents, dynamics, and timing to lay their vocal down. In short..they understand all the elements of music.

Eminem is like that for me. Ice Cube, Chali 2na....and many more.

• Members

I liked that a lot! Thanks.
:thu:

no worries! glad you liked it.

Check this one out with Dave Matthews...

[video=youtube;kUw9Ej5VLnM]

Also as a further response to Nuke's post....

I think rap can be even more interesting if you can actually understand what they are saying. Many times their delivery is so slick it's hard to know what they are actually saying. When I hear how the best guys string words together it's amazing. Here are the lyrics to this song...

[Dave Matthews]

A don't stop stop your dreamin

Let yourself float apon the notion

We can work it out, we gon work it out baby

Go ahead lose yourself inside this opportunity

That we gonna make it right now, make it right now

[Marc 7even]

We live and we learn, we crash and we burn

Right now my only rhyme is this lesson I learned

You talk about trust, I talk about lust

Its not appealin as you truly speak your feelings

I be lookin at the ceiling, so concealing

I shoulda put my heart on the table

Knowin I was good and able but instead I fed your fables

If I could have you back best believe it'd be forever

Cause each and every day you would hear those four letters

[Dave Matthews]

[Chali 2na]

These are different times but we feel the same pains

The blood of mankind runnin through the same veins

We'd like to make it right some which it remain tame

Same crimes even though they names changed

And we like different minds workin off the same brain

Passengers on different cars steppin off the same train

In the end, makin it rights the main aim

Different parts of the picture highlight the same frame

[Dave Matthews]

[Akil]

Now if you know what I know you need to work it out

If you ain't happy with yourself you need to work it out

You havin problems with your family then work it out

The things we go through just to work it out

I work it out when the situations seems unworkable

unreversible but God is most merciful

Many works, Many men converse

With soul search sweat it out

when they tryin to work it out

[soup]

With the constant complaint, we other gonna make it fly

Or we aint, I already know what some of ya think

Ima talk a hip hop and how bad its got

Then tryna pull a brother, im not

lookin for nobody to judge, you said you ain't I never thought you was

Im just tryna get with ya and pose in the same picture

So this mic thing can move the right thing do the right thing

Made for your life game, plus my man might sing

[Dave Matthews]

• Members

That is true to an extent...that it's beat poetry....but where the best rappers shine (for me anyway), is when they use they almost "sing" their raps. Of course I'm not saying they are singers...but like great singers, they understand how to listen to the song and use accents, dynamics, and timing to lay their vocal down. In short..they understand all the elements of music.

Eminem is like that for me. Ice Cube, Chali 2na....and many more.

Completely agree.

Archived