firebird copy

alanhoggard

• Members

To the best of my knowledge, the Gibson Firebird has never been accurately reproduced. The combination of banjo tuners, neck through construction, and the proprietary pickups make it an expensive proposition, and the best you'll see out there is something close to a Firebird shape without it's sound and feel (something like a Les Paul shaped like a 'bird).

I currently own the only non-USA Firebird that it pretty much spot on like the riginal as far as cut and constuction, but it still lacked the original pickups that made it sound unique. It's a CIJ Orville by Gibson, and it's amazing. Seek one out and you might get extremely lucky. I know I did!

• Members

Tokai do a very nice take on it. Construction is "wrong", unless your comparison is the Studio version of the 'bird (glued-in neck), and it might even have the "wrong" woods (shriek!), but it is a great looking, great playing guitar that looks really close to the Gibson otherwise. The MIJ one will be the equal of the Giby quality-wise (albeit it may differ in neck joint, not sure on that one). The MIK will be around the same rice as the Epi or a bit cheaper (at least here in the UK). Often better built than the Epis (I like Epi too, not to diss them), and available in a much wider range of colours should you not want the usual black / cherry / sb.

• Members

Tokai do a very nice take on it. Construction is "wrong", unless your comparison is the Studio version of the 'bird (glued-in neck), and it might even have the "wrong" woods (shriek!), but it
is
a great looking, great playing guitar that looks really close to the Gibson otherwise. The MIJ one will be the equal of the Giby quality-wise (albeit it may differ in neck joint, not sure on that one). The MIK will be around the same rice as the Epi or a bit cheaper (at least here in the UK). Often better built than the Epis (I like Epi too, not to diss them), and available in a much wider range of colours should you not want the usual black / cherry / sb.

The Tokai is very good. I believe it has the long tenon neck joint, and a headstock scarf joint. Neck is laminate too, I believe.

The biggest difference in all the copies and the real deal is the neck/headstock (which is what really makes this guitar special).

• Members

It's a neck through design, it's a 24 3/4 scale length (which is rare for Music Man guitars), it looks like it has mini hums for pickups (how similar sounding to true Firebird pups is anyone's guess), and the shape of he body while not spot on seems Firebird-esque to me.

• Members

It's a neck through design, it's a 24 3/4 scale length (which is rare for Music Man guitars), it looks like it has mini hums for pickups (how similar sounding to true Firebird pups is anyone's guess), and the shape of he body while not spot on seems Firebird-esque to me.

The Firebird didn't have mini humbuckers. Those are specially wound and designed for the Firebird. As for the neck, the Music Man guitars are usually very narrow at the nut, whereas the Firebird is an unusually wide and flat neck, and tapered in thickness. I do like the design of that Music Man though, and the fact that it's a neck through...but it's really hard (if not impossible, I never saw the Ibanez version) finding a true Firebird made by anybody but Gibson and Orville by Gibson.

They are rare for a reason.

• Members

The Firebird didn't have mini humbuckers. Those are specially wound and designed for the Firebird. As for the neck, the Music Man guitars are usually very narrow at the nut, whereas the Firebird is an unusually wide and flat neck, and tapered in thickness. I do like the design of that Music Man though, and the fact that it's a neck through...but it's really hard (if not impossible, I never saw the Ibanez version) finding a true Firebird made by anybody but Gibson and Orville by Gibson.

They are rare for a reason.

:idk: Just to be clear, I don't disagree with any of those points. My first post started with "Not really a Firebird copy". Then I made a reference to not knowing whether the mini hums sounded like "true Firebird pups" and I never mentioned the nut or neck shape, just the unusual scale length for the MM which, coincidentally matches that of the Firebird. I've only pointed out similarities between the Firebird and the new Music Man model.

Archived