I did not know that -Native American group REDBONE- produced a classic 70s hit ('74)

GAS Man

• Members
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWXOn4s8H8OBBF2a9Ea1e
I did not know that.

Today, I was busy with lots of activities, including watching 7 YT clips of greatest hits of the 60s and 70s. Kinda fun if you have that patience for over 1 hour of short music clips all pasted together. But it was somewhat entertaining for me because there were some songs in there where I wasn't as familiar with who had performed the song,

and this one was certainly one of those. I was famiiar with this tune, but if pressed I would have guessed it was an R&B group, not a Native American group.

But this is cool. thumb.gif A nice groove and I like the guy's vocal tone thumb.gif

Oh, and if you want to spend an hour + of your life going down the rabbit hole I fell into this afternoon, this is the start of the 7 part-er

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWXOn4s8H8OBBF2a9Ea1e
I did not know that.

Today, I was busy with lots of activities, including watching 7 YT clips of greatest hits of the 60s and 70s. Kinda fun if you have that patience for over 1 hour of short music clips all pasted together. But it was somewhat entertaining for me because there were some songs in there where I wasn't as familiar with who had performed the song,

and this one was certainly one of those. I was famiiar with this tune, but if pressed I would have guessed it was an R&B group, not a Native American group.

But this is cool. thumb.gif A nice groove and I like the guy's vocal tone thumb.gif

Oh, and if you want to spend an hour + of your life going down the rabbit hole I fell into this afternoon, this is the start of the 7 part-er
you didn't get the Redbone correlation?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead View Post
you didn't get the Redbone correlation?
Might have been confusing by my thread title, but I meant I didn't even know until today who that song was by. It was a familiar tune to me, just from airplay, but I'd never looked into who the artist was before.

I believe they do fit into the "1 hit wonders" category, but I just thought it was interesting that I hadn't picked up on it before. The tone of his voice certainly sounds like a Native American tone to my ears after seeing them, but before I thought of it as more of a reedy R & B vocalization.

Anyway, I just thought it was a cool tidbit. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
Might have been confusing by my thread title, but I meant I didn't even know until today who that song was by. It was a familiar tune to me, just from airplay, but I'd never looked into who the artist was before.

I believe they do fit into the "1 hit wonders" category, but I just thought it was interesting that I hadn't picked up on it before. The tone of his voice certainly sounds like a Native American tone to my ears after seeing them, but before I thought of it as more of a reedy R & B vocalization.

Anyway, I just thought it was a cool tidbit. wink.gif
you're probably younger than me and didn't get it drilled into your teenaged ears when it was a big hit! smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

you're probably younger than me and didn't get it drilled into your teenaged ears when it was a big hit! smile.gif

The tune was drilled into my head, just not the artist. That's why it surprised me that I didn't know it was a Native American/Mexican pair of brothers that formed this group. It sounded to me more Motown than Cheyenne. I was born in '57. You?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

The tune was drilled into my head, just not the artist. That's why it surprised me that I didn't know it was a Native American/Mexican pair of brothers that formed this group. It sounded to me more Motown than Cheyenne. I was born in '57. You?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Doctor49 View Post
Witch Qeen of New Orleans was the bigger hit.
Come And Get Your Love was bigger:

From Wiki:
Redbone played primarily rock music with R&B, Cajun, Jazz, tribal, and Latin roots. Their first commercial success came with the single "Maggie" from their second album, Potlatch, in 1970, and two other hit singles followed - "The Witch Queen of New Orleans" (1971, #21 on the Billboard Hot 100) and "Come and Get Your Love" (1974, #5 on the Billboard Hot 100). "Come and Get Your Love", written by Lolly Vasquez stayed in the Billboard chart for 24 weeks, and was awarded a gold disc by the R.I.A.A. on 22 April 1974.[1]

• Members

About as Native American as Jimi Hendrix as it turns out; primarily Spanish Heritage it would seem. Turns out Hendrix, who also had some Native American heritage directed the marketing angle and the name, "Redbone". Cool song and I kinda forgot about those guys.

I was always under the impression that Blackfoot was a Native American band til I saw them perform. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDH-xcwA_LY Kinda like those Westerns from the 50's and 60's where all the natives had five oclock shadow and hailed from Sicily.facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fretmonster

View Post

About as Native American as Jimi Hendrix as it turns out; primarily Spanish Heritage it would seem. Turns out Hendrix, who also had some Native American heritage directed the marketing angle and the name, "Redbone". Cool song and I kinda forgot about those guys.

Yeah, I was reading about that on Wiki when I made the OP. I thought it was interesting. And definitely, whatever I'd known about them was long forgotten too, but the song itself was a bit of a blast from the past when I stumbled upon it. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by harold heckuba View Post
Come And Get Your Love was bigger:
not where I was in UK in the Seventies.

I never heard Come and Get Your Love until today........................thankfully

Village People sing Doobie Brothers

Edit: to be charitable, it has more to do with where my musical tastes went between 71 and 74.
that is to say, away from the "70s" sounds and more into JJ Cale, Link Wray, and so on.
So I would not have been listening to hits radio that much.
Actually not at all.

• Members

^^ I think it's an interest song (a kinda catchy) but there's definite Funk in that song. The la la la's at the end show the Latin influence, and I hear the Native American in the vocals. And although the lyrics (other than the refrain) are few, I think some of them are also interesting.

Hey (hey) What's the matter with your head? yeah...
Hey (hey) What's the matter with your mind and your sign?
And-a ooh-ohh
Hey (hey) Nothin's a matter with your head, baby, find it
Come on and find it
Hell, with it, baby, 'cause you're fine and you're mine
And you look so divine

biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fretmonster View Post
I was always under the impression that Blackfoot was a Native American band til I saw them perform. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDH-xcwA_LY Kinda like those Westerns from the 50's and 60's where all the natives had five oclock shadow and hailed from Sicily.facepalm.gif
Rickey Medlocke claims to have some Blackfoot ancestry.

220px-Rickey_Medlocke_at_NAS_Jacksonvill

Archived