Bugera V5 as a gigging amp?

guitarman3001

• Members

I successfully giged many times with a fender frontman 25 (with pa support of course). Sounded great and is easy to move around and sounded much larger then it is in show context. I've even had other musicians who are tone fanatics ask how I get that "killer" sound then I point to the front man and they are where like WTF?

The v5 will sound great if you eq it right. Good Luck

• Members

SCXD has cool tweed tones on Ch. 2 also in the 1-6 range of settings. I have had one for years and just diascovered that 4 and 5 with the gain cranked is very cool, especially w/ single coils. Only problem is Ch. 2 doesn't respond as well with boost pedals, but I am also discovering the fun of the guitar's volume knob. Not sure what OP's gig situation is, but LOTS of cool tones in the SCXD.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by richey888

View Post

SCXD has cool tweed tones on Ch. 2 also in the 1-6 range of settings. I have had one for years and just diascovered that 4 and 5 with the gain cranked is very cool, especially w/ single coils. Only problem is Ch. 2 doesn't respond as well with boost pedals, but I am also discovering the fun of the guitar's volume knob. Not sure what OP's gig situation is, but LOTS of cool tones in the SCXD.

Yeah, I love the SCXD and it does have some amazing tweed tones on Ch2 but since ch 2 doesn't work well with pedals, especially dirt and boost pedals, I can only use Ch1 for gigs because I have a pretty extensive pedalboard with several dirt and boost pedals. Although I do use the SCXD for band practice. And right now at gigs, but at gigs I can only use Ch 1 and since I miss the tone of the Bugera, hence my thinking about getting a v5.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
Amp too heavy? Ask your drummer to carry it in for you, then buy him a beer.
It's not just a matter of weight but also size. Even though the V22 is relatively small, you should see some of the "stages" we play on, if you can even call them that. The less real estate I take up, the better. So I'd say that it's a combination of size and weight. BTW, it's not that I'm old and decrepit, I'm not....well, at least not decrepit...yet... but seriously, at 3 or 4 in the morning, sometimes even 5 in the morning, after a long gig where we started setting up at 7 or 8 then played between 4 and 6 sets, if there's any way to lighten the load I have to carry, it just makes the misery that much less.

As for the ideas of just using a modeler, I've thought about that and I do have one I can use but I like playing through an amp, even if it's a small one. It gives me a responsiveness that a modeler through stage monitors just can't match. Not to mention, if I were to use a modeler and rely just on the monitors, turning it up to the point where I'm happy with it would probably annoy the rest of the band.

• Members

Well, I guess I'm going to find out soon enough. I finally scored a good deal at GC. Went in to try one out and they didn't have any in stock but they did have an instore price of $149 for them. I also happened to have a GC coupon for 12% off any item of $149+. After all was said and done, it cost me about $132 plus tax. They had to order it but it should arrive by Friday. So, brand new for under $140 out the door, I couldn't pass it up.

Archived