Incredible Homemade Les Pauls

GuitarNoobie

• Members
I just find that spraying lacquer from rattle cans with out a booth in my basement or a garage workshop, it's almost a guarantee that you'll wind up with some peel, a small run or two and dust. I just like working that out before building my next coat. If you can get a great coat with no flaws (or close enough you don't need to worry), awesome!

i am spraying the guitar while flat, at least the front side... no runs at all...

i am sure i have a little dust and i know i have a little orange peel...

sanding before spraying the cherry red burst should help with any imperfections... :thu:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

tried a little sanding with 400 grit on the 2 coats of clear that i applied last night on top of the amber...

:eek:

no more sanding until all colors are applied and a bunch of clear layers are laid down on top of the colors...

i fixed this up with another coat of amber, which may make the whole guitar darker now. this area will also be partially covered with the cherry red too....

dcam5561.jpg

• Members

Dude, i used 600 grit when wet sanding...

i wasn't wet sanding, but that's not my point. i was in an area with a little orange peel. that orange peel is still there, so i didn't take enough lacquer off to remove it, yet the color is changing.

so in this case, the grit has nothing to do with it.. orange peel remains, color is disappearing. 600 grit would not change that....

• Members
i wasn't wet sanding, but that's not my point. i was in an area with a little orange peel. that orange peel is still there, so i didn't take enough lacquer off to remove it, yet the color is changing.

so in this case, the grit has nothing to do with it.. orange peel remains, color is disappearing. 600 grit would not change that....

the orange peel is in the sealer then?

anyhow, id say stop listening to random people on the interwebs :p

dont sand the colour coats! hehe.

• Members
the orange peel is in the sealer then?

anyhow, id say stop listening to random people on the interwebs
:p

dont sand the colour coats! hehe.

I used a stain on my build, so i know nothing about color coats.

what is orange peel?

• Members
i am spraying the guitar while flat, at least the front side... no runs at all...

i am sure i have a little dust and i know i have a little orange peel...

sanding before spraying the cherry red burst should help with any imperfections...
:thu:

when the guitar is flat have your shop vac running next to it to pull the dust/fumes away.

• Members

tried a little sanding with 400 grit on the 2 coats of clear that i applied last night on top of the amber...

no more sanding until all colors are applied and a bunch of clear layers are laid down on top of the colors...

i fixed this up with another coat of amber, which may make the whole guitar darker now. this area will also be partially covered with the cherry red too....

:eek: test scraps..always experiment with new methods or materials on test pieces so you know exactly what to expect and don't worry about having to redo your pride and joy project. Fwiw, I don't like to dry sand between top coats and wet sand with my paper soaked overnight, 600 grit minimum sometimes 800 depending on how it looks. You want to just level the peel and tiny dust pricks in the finish. If you already have a tested process and you get the results you want, I'd stick with that this time round the block...unless you just want to try a new way.

• Members
test scraps..always experiment with new methods or materials on test pieces so you know exactly what to expect and don't worry about having to redo your pride and joy project. Fwiw, I don't like to dry sand between top coats and wet sand with my paper soaked overnight, 600 grit minimum sometimes 800 depending on how it looks. You want to just level the peel and tiny dust pricks in the finish. If you already have a tested process and you get the results you want, I'd stick with that this time round the block...unless you just want to try a new way.

been a while since i did finish work and i guess i just wasn't paying too much attention... should have wet-sanded probably...

no biggie, the tint is repaired and looking good...

now if i could just get this humidity to leave. :mad:

humiidty is 80-85% :mad:

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

View Post

been a while since i did finish work and i guess i just wasn't paying too much attention... should have wet-sanded probably...

no biggie, the tint is repaired and looking good...

now if i could just get this humidity to leave. mad.gif

humiidty is 80-85% mad.gif

I'm looking forward to spraying latest project in the basement of my new place....we have a dehumidifier/heat/ac so I can keep the environment in check! That kinda humidity sucks donkey ball.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by k4df4l

View Post

I'm looking forward to spraying latest project in the basement of my new place....we have a dehumidifier/heat/ac so I can keep the environment in check! That kinda humidity sucks donkey ball.

cool...

and yea, nothing i can do but wait and work on my other build wink.gif

View Post

speaking of basements, you'll get a kick out of this:

watching this now...

• Members

View Post

speaking of basements, you'll get a kick out of this:

ha, ha, that's friggin great... that guy seems like he's had a few...

the condom airlock icon_lol.gifthumb.gif

i am gonna have to try to make some of this, with grape juice....

i am sharing this with friends that want to brew, but don't have room. not much room need here... thumb.gif

the inmates wine !!!! 10-12%, woohoo !!!!

i'ver heard of something similar called 555 wine, 5 cans grape juice, 5 gallons water and 5 cups of sugar or something like that...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind

View Post

when i was a kid my granddad and great uncle would get us to pick black berries and they would do this. Horrible tasting {censored} it was!

I used to work for a guy that did the same kinda thing. Every so often when we'd finish a job, he'd bust out a bottle of rocket fuel he brewed from berries, juice & wine or bread yeast several years prior...tasted like ass but man, you'd see double after a couple glasses of that murky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

View Post

ha, ha, that's friggin great... that guy seems like he's had a few...

the condom airlock icon_lol.gifthumb.gif

i am gonna have to try to make some of this, with grape juice....

i am sharing this with friends that want to brew, but don't have room. not much room need here... thumb.gif

the inmates wine !!!! 10-12%, woohoo !!!!

i'ver heard of something similar called 555 wine, 5 cans grape juice, 5 gallons water and 5 cups of sugar or something like that...

Craigtube is classic stuff...his videos may not be all that accurate but they are funny.

• Members

they had it down to a science, used a wadded up t-shirt or flannel shirt in a big funnel to rebottle the stuff. It always ended up clear, but still tasted like ass.

The potato wine they cooked up one year was really potent, so was the dandelion stuff but it also tasted worse than anything ever had a right to.

Archived