Incredible Homemade Les Pauls

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's your planned finishing schedule/route?

spray the burst today if the humidity permits

spray the back, sides and neck today if the humidity permits

spray the headstock today or tomorrow if the humidity permits

wait 24 hours and spray the clear coat.

wait 1 month, sand and buff...

something along those lines...

comments? concerns? ideas?

• Members

1 month? :(

• Members

You don't wet sand between finish coats? What are you using for clear?

• Moderators

the stewmac tinted nitro specifically says do not sand between coats, plus it is my understanding that the nitro layers melt into each other.

Absolutely, it's the beauty of nitro that it's sorta reliquidised each coat, besides if you waited til dry enough to sand between coats guitars would take bloody years to paint

• Members

Sanding between finish coats isn't just for adhesion, you also want to build a flat, defect free surface. Given the right conditions, I can usually wet sand by the next day/24hrs.

Heck, check the reranch 101 if you think it's a wack concept.

• Members
Sanding between finish coats isn't just for adhesion, you also want to build a flat, defect free surface. Given the right conditions, I can usually wet sand by the next day/24hrs.

i don't think it's a wack concept, specifically when dealing with paint. i always sand in between coats of paint, but in this case the stewmac cans state this in UPPER CASE:

"DO NOT SAND COLOR COATS"

I will sand the final clear coats to remove any orange peel I have and I have a little bit already, but as I understand it with nitro that is where all sanding should occur...

I will check reranch here when i get a chance to see what that page says... :thu:

• Members

actually reranch says nothing of the sort. they recomend sanding between stages to level out any orange peel or remove dust.

so sand after sealing, then after sealing the burst, then after clear.

it all depends on how good a job you are doing, and if any dust has gotton into the the finish while drying.

• Members

actually reranch says nothing of the sort. they recomend sanding between stages to level out any orange peel or remove dust.

Which is exactly what I was implied by my comment of "flat, defect free surface." Sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that point.

• Members

so sand after sealing, then after sealing the burst, then after clear.

it all depends on how good a job you are doing, and if any dust has gotton into the the finish while drying.

i sanded after the sanding sealer.

i did not sand after the first clear.

i have not sanded after clearing over the amber, but i probably should before spraying the burst...

btw, here's a couple of new pics...

dcam5558.jpg
dcam5559.jpg

• Members

Which is exactly what I was implied by my comment of "flat, defect free surface." Sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that point.

spraying after each clear is probably a good idea. i did not sand after the first one.

i probably should sand it out now before applying the cherry red burst...

• Members

spraying after each clear is probably a good idea. i did not sand after the first one.

i probably should sand it out now before applying the cherry red burst...

I just find that spraying lacquer from rattle cans with out a booth in my basement or a garage workshop, it's almost a guarantee that you'll wind up with some peel, a small run or two and dust. I just like working that out before building my next coat. If you can get a great coat with no flaws (or close enough you don't need to worry), awesome!

Archived