Wanna watch me build a mosrite?

Weiner_Bomb

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Weiner_Bomb

View Post

sounds good. who makes those?

A feller that goes by the name TV Jones. I'd actually wait until you are enamored with the play of your build. If that happens, then certainly it would deserve an expensive set of pickups.

TVJonesHumbucker.jpg

• Members

Shooting the nitro now... The apartment smells wonderful... So far, so good. I used one whole can for the neck. This stuff dries pretty fast and firm.. Now I know why this stuff is popular.. I have a feeling this will buff out reeal nice come November..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Weiner_Bomb

View Post

I was hoping to get away with it anyway. Worse case scenario, the paint cracks, I have to start over again.

It's worse than that. Lacquer will act as a paint remover. It will not be pretty. I recommend getting some Minwax fast dry poly. Also, let this bake in the sun before putting it on for a day or two. And go REAL LIGHT coats of the Minwax.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder

View Post

I've done two guitars with nitro over rustoleum. It is not necessarily going to be a problem.

Rustoleum does make a lacquer. Check the can to see what the binder in the Rustoleum is

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Belva

View Post

Rustoleum does make a lacquer. Check the can to see what the binder in the Rustoleum is

Paint is such a freaking mystery to me. I've tried on-line research and lots of anecdotal testimony on different forums. In the end I found it best to rely on my own experiences and experimentation.

I read all the fine print on the cans and couldn't discern WHAT kind of paint they were. The word lacquer appeared nowhere. I just know that I would never spray enamel over lacquer... unless I want to have a repeat of the crackle finish I got on my bicycle when I was a kid. icon_lol.gif

Anyway like you suggested above, lacquer melts into the surface. That's why it is so easy to repair... you can spray a new coat over the old without roughing it up first. My first recommendation to the OP (and it's probably too late) is go a little easy the first day. This is more important when spraying over metallic color because that lacquer CAN re-float the metallic particles creating inconsistencies in color. My second recommendation is avoid breathing that {censored} too much...i.e. don't {censored}ing sleep in the room where you sprayed and cure the paint. Chances are the OP can't even comprehend what I'm saying now. poke.gif I hope I'm wrong!

• Members

I have a fan pointed to an open window. it's not too bad. I went out for an hour or so, when I came back I did not get a 'whoosh' of fumes, I guess that's one sign that I'm not 'frog in hot boiling water' effecting on myself.

I'm on my last can of nitro on the body (I used two so far). Paint hasn't melted on me yet. I've been re coating every 15 minutes. by then, I can pretty much touch the body without leaving a fingerprint.. that is touch, not handle.

I worked with a guy who told me a story about the time he asphyxiated himself while painting his car (he has this 1950's Porsche he's restoring.. but it may have been the 70 Chevelle at the time) to the point he passed out, and I guess had a seizure after he regained consciousness..

I was being facetious about the apartment smelling 'wonderful' btw redface.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Here it is, all done up.. Albeit less than perfect. the nitro has already got hairline cracks in it and I chipped a couple areas... So I decided to just smooth out the top with 800 grit, then polish it. looks fine to me. I am happy with how the neck turned out. I did not have to do any leveling, just polished the frets, cut the nut where I wanted it and she's golden cool.gif

mosie-done-1.jpgmosie-done-2.jpg

I think some creme-colored hum-size p-90's would look better. A chrome switch/creme switch tip would also look nicer, but this is all I had handy..

• Members

Nice.

It's got a retro-shredder kinda vibe. Obviously the retro mosrite shapes with what looks like a dano bridge mixed with the body-mount/no-ring humbuckers with minimal controls usually found on shredders.

I like a painted headstock-face, but that's just me.

How does it play/sound?

Archived