OT: Alternatives to Photobucket

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

Me and other people in software development use Dropbox religiously. I've been using it for two years. It has replaced the need of things like FTP or other sites. I just use it for almost everything I do.

How it works is it shows up on your computer as a folder, similar to other ordinary folders. Only this one is "clouded" and things you put into it are now online. And things put into the public folder within it can be right clicked to copy links that anyone can paste into their browsers. You can also open files and save them to/from your dropbox folders. If you want you can even share dropbox folders with other dropbox users and have one persistent, mutual folder that everyone linked to shares in real time. It's awesome.

..of course, if all you want to do is post images online, it's quick and easy for that. Just drop the image into your public dropbox folder, then right click it and copy the URL that goes to it.

This is my referral link. I use this program and always hounding for more space. If anyone signs up using my link, we both get bonus storage space.

http://db.tt/WHbQ7P7

(this is NOT bs, I use dropbox religiously, it's all I need, the only incentive I have for posting this link is I get more storage space in my own dropbox)

• Moderators

I work in IT systems development and support and as an institution we do not allow the installation of Dropbox on any Active Directory machines.

Why?

1. Security - This year alone 3 researchers have lost signidfican amounts of data using Dropbox
2. IP (Intellectual Property) - Look in Dropbox's T&C and you'll see they own any materials stored on their server
3. Server locations - Dropbox do not provide full disclosure on where they store your data

And finally, it eats up {censored}ing local profile space on Windows AD machines.

It has it's uses, but I wouldn't use it for anything, important , confidential or valuable

Quote Originally Posted by twotimingpete View Post
Me and other people in software development use Dropbox religiously. I've been using it for two years. It has replaced the need of things like FTP or other sites. I just use it for almost everything I do.

How it works is it shows up on your computer as a folder, similar to other ordinary folders. Only this one is "clouded" and things you put into it are now online. And things put into the public folder within it can be right clicked to copy links that anyone can paste into their browsers. You can also open files and save them to/from your dropbox folders. It's awesome.

This is my referral link. I use this program and always hounding for more space. If anyone signs up using my link, we both get bonus storage space.

http://db.tt/WHbQ7P7

(this is NOT bs, I use dropbox religiously, it's all I need, the only incentive I have for posting this link is I get more storage space in my dropbox)

• Members

you wouldn't want to lose something valuable like an iphone picture. :0

and saying they have rights to any intellectual property you store in their folders is really heavily interpretting the T&C, I read over them and didn't see anything scary.

in fact, this is from their TOS:

"By using our Services you provide us with information, files, and folders that you submit to Dropbox (together,

Archived