Most ridiculous guitar(s) you cant stand that everyone else seems to love?

LynchProtoge

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTrails

View Post

SGs. Though I like the way they look, I just don't get along with the neck, balance and to some degree, tone. When I pick one up it just feels wrong. I like LPs, but just don't like SGs.

Yeah, I felt this way too. I had an Epiphone G-400 Custom, which never sounded very good (even with different PU's) and was so darn neck heavy, that I hardly ever played it. Then, I traded it in for a Gibson SG Standard, and the difference was amazing. Not only does it sound great, but it is very well balanced (no huge, heavy neck). Right now, I'm playing and enjoying the SG as much, or more than my Les Pauls.

I like the basic traditional types of electric guitars, and tend to not like many of the Kramer, Jackson, Ibanez, Dean (ugly headstocks) and B.C. Rich guitars. The Dimebag ones may be the worst...looks like something that was used in From Dusk Till Dawn...ugly!!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by BeanoBoy

View Post

There's a big boom in Fender Jaguars and Jazzmasters. They sound cool, I've always hated how they look.

this. Never liked 'em.

I also never cared for a lot the 60's junk guitars that have been seeing a resurgence thanks to Jack White. Blech!

• Members

I'll probably be flamed for these:

I wouldn't exactly classify the guitars James Trussart does as ridiculous -- I acknowledge his artistry -- but the guitars don't speak to my particular style at all. And the prices -- holy {censored}, man, really? Four grand for an oxidized metal-topped Tele?

file.asp?id=33655

A lot of people seem to really like the Ibanez Paul Gilbert Fireman. I think that is a ridiculous guitar. Fairly unique, yes, but aesthetically yucky.

Paul-Gilbert-Fireman-Guitar-e12789875428

• Members

Fender Strats.

The controls are just in a bad place. Hit them when strumming with my right hand.

I also hate that you can't mix the bridge pickup with the neck one with a standard 5 way switch.

And single coils at the bridge are too bright sounding. Need a humbucker there.

String trees suck too.

And I hate all the tuners on the same side.

• Members
srv1.gif

That always reminds me of this:

The band was known for its chaotic live performances, including a notorious incident in 2002 when, during a performance at the Hard Rock Cafe in Austin, Texas, North "liberated" a guitar that had belonged to Stevie Ray Vaughan by breaking its protective case with the base of a microphone stand. He tried plugging it into his amplifier, but was then quickly set upon by security. The incident resulted in North receiving numerous death threats from outraged Texans, and legal troubles.[2]

• Members

Pointy guitars look ridiculous to me when I see them in a store or someone's house. On stage, some people can pull it off, but they need to bring it.

SG sounds good but I hate the way they look.

Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Mustang are ugly.

Danelectro guitars look like toys

I want to like Rickenbacker but I can't quite get there.

• Members

Not a big fan of the way Rickenbachers look. I appreciate their usefulness for certain types of music, but I just don't like them. That's about it. I'm cool with most reasonably popular guitars. Not a big fan of bright pink or super pointy, spider-shaped things, but I'm not sure everyone else loves them so I wouldn't include those...

• Members

I can not STAND Fender Strats. I just don't get how people are all crazy about them. Flame suit on....SOME Gibson Les Paul's. Good God, whatever they use to paint the back of the neck...it is the slowest, boggiest, stickiest feeling I've ever felt. I've owned Charvel's and Jackson's with painted necks and they felt like they had nitrous oxide speeds. I tried a bunch of LP's in the past week and none of them hold a candle to my cheapy Zakk Wylde Epi or my brand new worn cherry studio LP. THOSE TWO have what these necks should feel like. SMOOTH and FAST! The 335 certainly isn't for me, either.

• Members

I can not STAND Fender Strats. I just don't get how people are all crazy about them. Flame suit on....SOME Gibson Les Paul's. Good God, whatever they use to paint the back of the neck...it is the slowest, boggiest, stickiest feeling I've ever felt. I've owned Charvel's and Jackson's with painted necks and they felt like they had nitrous oxide speeds. I tried a bunch of LP's in the past week and none of them hold a candle to my cheapy Zakk Wylde Epi or my brand new worn cherry studio LP. THOSE TWO have what these necks should feel like. SMOOTH and FAST! The 335 certainly isn't for me, either.

I think the whole point of the thread is to not flame people for disliking something "most" people like...

• Members

I doubt Fender will ever design a guitar I consider attractive. They have a near-monopoly on ugly (only near, because there are so many clones). I have a few automatic do-not-buy signals in guitars, such as pickguards, string trees, and paint.

I have no problem with the sound Fenders produce, though. I generally like it.

• Members

Yeah, I felt this way too. I had an Epiphone G-400 Custom, which never sounded very good (even with different PU's) and was so darn neck heavy, that I hardly ever played it. Then, I traded it in for a Gibson SG Standard, and the difference was amazing. Not only does it sound great, but it is very well balanced (no huge, heavy neck). Right now, I'm playing and enjoying the SG as much, or more than my Les Pauls.

Like I said, I like the way that SGs look, and in theory I like the better upper fret access and lighter weight, but in practice every SG I've tried to play just didn't feel right at all, and I've tried them at all price points and build qualities.

Archived