Anyone ever consider getting fake fingernails for pickin?

GAS Man

• Members

Okay, I'm going to avoid making any remarks about that being possibly seen as gay or "ghey" because I'm told that can be offensive to folks who are gay, so I won't do that in my context here. Just to put that aside.

But I love having fingernails for finger picking and they just aren't holding up these days. They're constantly breaking down to the quick. cry.gif I've even tried nail hardener which doesn't seem to help much. I'm informed, however, that I need to try OPI which is supposed to be better than the last bottle I bought of "Sally Hanson Hard as Nails". That stuff just seems to put a thin finish on top of the nail that flakes off of the contact areas, plus the smell of it doesn't go away once dried. I'm also starting to have some trouble with my nails lifting and curling up from the nail beds (especially on my fretting hand - so I'm keeping a more constant vigil to keep those uber-short). Looks almost fungal, but doc said, nope, looks like repeated trauma.

But in my flights of fantasy I toy with the vision of going to the mall and having Suzie from Vietnam glue on some acrylic nails for the thumb, index, middle and annular fingers on my pickin hand. But then I'd have to go back repeatedly to have the growth area filled in. And that sounds dumb. But hopefully, I'd get at least a 50% discount for only having 40% of my nails done. And maybe I could get into some good gossip while there. idea.gif

But seriously, I like finger picking and it just seems like my nails are getting worse with age. On the upside, it's forcing me to become more proficient with flat picking.

What do professional performing classical guitarists do?

• Members

Well, I have for many years played without a pick, AND do not grow my nails. I think I adapted to using the skin part of the thumb-and-fingertips and have not really thought about it. When I strum a hard chord, I use the face of my fingernails. I know it's not the "proper" way to fingerpick, but it works for me...

• Members

I thought about it when I was playing classical. My nails are thin and hook downwards, not really suited for classical.

After about a year of playing nothing but classical I had an epiphany. I plugged into a tube amp and cranked it. I sold my classical.

biggrin.gif

• Members

You mention the sally Hanson hard as nails stuff. Have you tried 'hoof lacquer'? its what i use. you have to get it at a pet store or farm supply store. its not made for people. its made to keep the hoofs of horses from chipping. as a result of using this stuff my fingernails are indestructible. its like having mini letter openers on the ends of your fingers.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Harley John

View Post

You mention the sally Hanson hard as nails stuff. Have you tried 'hoof lacquer'? its what i use. you have to get it at a pet store or farm supply store. its not made for people. its made to keep the hoofs of horses from chipping. as a result of using this stuff my fingernails are indestructible. its like having mini letter openers on the ends of your fingers.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I'll look for it!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jds22

View Post

I thought about it when I was playing classical. My nails are thin and hook downwards, not really suited for classical.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, sometimes my nails do that growing hooked downward thing as well. But I only need a little bit of nail. Like if it extends to where the tip of my fingers end, that works for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cbh5150

View Post

Well, I have for many years played without a pick, AND do not grow my nails. I think I adapted to using the skin part of the thumb-and-fingertips and have not really thought about it. When I strum a hard chord, I use the face of my fingernails. I know it's not the "proper" way to fingerpick, but it works for me...

I think that does represent adapting to reality, but I get a bit too much muting to the tone and slower action for whatever reason (maybe the pain? biggrin.gif) when I don't have enough nail to cover the top tip of the finger.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc

View Post

Some people cut out bits of ping pong balls and glue them to the insides of their fingernails. YMMV.

Funny, I was reading something about that and people talking about "ramping up" their nails with super glue and baking soda right after I posted this thread. http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.co...p?f=87&t=52130

To me, those guys just can't "man-up" and head to the nail salon. biggrin.gif

• Members
biggrin.gif I already had one woman at work, a older Vietnamese gal, giving me an interrogation over the sheen just from that nail hardener. I played along for a while telling her I was considering going "pink" next time. She's pretty gullible so I had a bit of fun with her until I fessed up and told her it was just nail hardener. I explained why and she said, "so why don't you just quit playing guitar?". To which I responded, "why don't I just quit breathing?"

• Members

certain colors are okay, just not the really opaque and dark ones. usually the will take it off anyway. (at that time the nurse will be thinking you are an odd one and then later the entire break room will be disscussing you, and you may here loud laughter and tatalog.

• Members

^^ yeah, I'd definitely go au naturale. My wife's a surgery tech and an LPN (working towards her RN) and I know how those folks are. It only takes a story or two and you don't ever want to get naked for a surgery again. whisper.gif

I'd bet I could probably just find fake nail kits. Seems to me I remember seeing such things around in the distant past, having had one of those things called a mother and sister kicking around the house some years back. Definitely, ping pong balls shards layered on with a combo of super glue and baking soda would be the most macho way to go. cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jds22

View Post

After about a year of playing nothing but classical I had an epiphany. I plugged into a tube amp and cranked it. I sold my classical. biggrin.gif

Was my experience exactly. I do finger pick acoustic and electric from time to time.

• Members

I have gotten fake or acrylic nails for years. Went to salons and got them done for 3 to 5 dollars a nail.

I just get 3 done , thumb , forefinger and middle. Then for the last year I been doing it myself

at home with the kit you can buy at Walgrens. If my nail breaks I cant play for 2 weeks.

This kit is the primer and acrylic powder not press on stuff. This stuff lasts up to a week . Cost $8.00

73150901652_220x220_a.jpg

Heres how you put it on . Dip the brush in the liquid, touch the brush on the powder and then put it on

your nails . Done . Let it dry and then shape it later with the file .

Archived