Anyone ever consider getting fake fingernails for pickin?

GAS Man

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by John Backlund

View Post

I've been using fake nails for years, three brass and one plastic...

I've tried those before and had some real problems adapting. It felt like learning to play all over again. But the one's I was using (instead of the brass) was the Alaska pick, same design but made of plastic.

However, I did buy a few thumb picks like that one in yellow, and it seemed much easier adapt to. But it's usually my index finger nail that blows out first, followed by the middle, then ring, and lastly the thumb nail.

If my finger nails could just grow in like rhino horn, then I'd never bother with a pick again.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SnowViking

View Post

Classical guitarists rarely get nail extensions- they file their nails in a specific way

(often at an angle) plus some fine sandpaper. You don't need long nails to pick properly.

http://www.classicalguitar101.org/cl...l#.UMOsPuSvGHg

Interesting link, thanks. Yeah, I don't try to grow mine "long", just a bit of an extension - like to the end of the finger tip, but they are always breaking off down to the quick. Ouch eek.gif Without that bit of nail, the attack is muted and I end up missing more notes.

I have one pro classical guitar player friend who I remembered filing his nails to that pointy shape. It looked creepy. icon_lol.gif

• Members

My wife has this acrylic kit and repaired my middle fingernail for a gig. It worked but eventually wore down like my real nail. I played an acoustic gig last night and my middle and index finger nails are destroyed. they really hurt today.

Archived