Learn the Major Scale, $.99

wagdog

• Members

That's certainly worth .99 if you don't already have the major scale down. Fortunately, for myself, I've already put the time in, learning and practicing my major scale patterns.

I recommend that, once you feel like you know the patterns pretty well, practice all of them, moving from one to another, all in one key (using a backing track if possible). Then, pick a different key and practice all of them in that key. If you keep doing that, moving around the neck in the major scale becomes second nature. After enough repetition, you do it without thinking about it.

Another thing that can be really helpful IMO, is practice all the major scale patterns in one key at the same time as practicing your major pentatonic patterns. Once all of that becomes second nature, you'll move around the neck faster and without thinking about it.

I still practice all my patterns over backing tracks. But now, as I practice my scales, I try to make up melodies on the spot. So, then it becomes a scale exercise and improvisation all at the same time.

• Members

erok123

The one with three Xs in a row is the Mixolydian mode. Look at Fig 3 and try it using G on the 6th string as your lowest note, then follow the patterns and say the notes. They will be GABCDEFG over and over, which is G Mixolydian.

Keep in mind you have to shift 1 fret when you get to the 2nd string with the Y pattern.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zachary View Post
erok123

The one with three Xs in a row is the Mixolydian mode. Look at Fig 3 and try it using G on the 6th string as your lowest note, then follow the patterns and say the notes. They will be GABCDEFG over and over, which is G Mixolydian.

Keep in mind you have to shift 1 fret when you get to the 2nd string with the Y pattern.
li

And G mixolydian simply is the C major scale.

• Members

All the different modes are just the major scale at a different starting points. The only time they will start to sound like something different is if you do some modal playing. How? Keep playing a single drone note, for example, while you cycle through the modes of one key relative to that drone. All the different modes of one key will have a unique sound relative to that drone. Stop playing the drone and all the modes just sound like you are playing the major scale again. Or, play anything that suggests a key and play all the modes relative to that key, it all just sounds like the major scale at different starting points. Such is the nature of modes.

• Members

I never understood modes in the sense of playing a D dorian or something like that. But I've always thought of it as I'm playing an C major scale on a D minor chord, which I guess is the same idea, really. So you don't have to memorize modes by mixolydian or myxomatosis or nickelodeon or those ridiculous names. Just being aware of the various moods and colors of various scales on top of each other is good enough, I think. This is where playing an instrument like piano helps, since it helps you establish an absolute frame of reference vs. a relative one.

• Members

I found a really easy to remember pattern for roots in the first scale degree

the first finger on the first occurence of pattern X is the root

the second finger on the first occurence of pattern Y is the root

the third finger on the first occurence of pattern Z is the root

The method in this article is awesome. Best money I've ever spent on improving my playing and increasing my knowledge

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jrockbridge View Post
In case anybody wants an easy way to hear and understand by ear how these modes sound different when playing modally (think Jimmy Page lead in No Quarter), here is a link to a website that has 11 Sitar drones. I just downloaded all of them.

http://mattotto.org/drones-and-pedals/
Thanks for the drones! Never drone alone...... smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
I found a really easy to remember pattern for roots in the first scale degree

the first finger on the first occurence of pattern X is the root

the second finger on the first occurence of pattern Y is the root

the third finger on the first occurence of pattern Z is the root

The method in this article is awesome. Best money I've ever spent on improving my playing and increasing my knowledge
And if you remember that there are 3 Xs in a row, it's always the second X that has the root (first scale starts on the second X).

To remember all seven patterns, I noticed that Z always proceeds Y.

That is, second scale is ZX and third is YZ. And sixth is ZZ and seventh is YY.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jrockbridge View Post
In case anybody wants an easy way to hear and understand by ear how these modes sound different when playing modally (think Jimmy Page lead in No Quarter), here is a link to a website that has 11 Sitar drones. I just downloaded all of them.

http://mattotto.org/drones-and-pedals/
Missed this somehow - thanks for this!

I've been using this method for a few days now, 15 minutes a day. It's great, wish I had thought of it.

Also working out some sliding patterns so all I play is X's in one run, Y's in another and Z's in another - cool way to think about these patterns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This has been one of the best learning tools for me in my ~10 years of taking up guitar mid-life (at 39 y/o)

XX YY ZZ is so easy to remember going across strings and the need to only know the first 2 makes it even more intuitive. However, I am trying to find a similar memory tool when playing only on 1 or 2 strings or when sliding between patterns.

Does anyone have any "tricks" that apply to this method for moving up and down the fretboard?

• Members

Does anyone have any "tricks"
that apply to this method
for moving up and down the fretboard?

I don't know if this answers your question, or if it's what you're looking for, but I did find this pattern allows you to use a single X, Y or Z through the entire run:

In G:

Start at pos 1, XX (3'rd fret, low E)

After the third note of the second X, move up a whole step on the same string (from E to F# on the A string)

Do 2 X's on the next 2 strings

Again, move up a whole step from E to F# after the 2'nd X (on the G string)

Do an X on the B string and high E (don't forget to bump up one fret when shifting to the B string).

This pattern works with the Y and Z patterns as well, just jump a whole step after the 2'nd Y or Z - when it starts on a single pattern, jump up after the first one (on the low E string).

• Members

This may help... or not, lol

again, it works the same w/the other patterns, you move up a whole step after the second one, or if there is only one to start with on the E string after the first.

I plotted it out on fretboard paper to make it easier to see.

And I agree w/you, this system is great. I hope people support this guy by buying this for $.99 - he deserves it.

Archived