Musicians Friend Gold Coverage - remind me to just go to Guitar Center next time.

kit_strong

• Members

I think from now on, any time I'm planning on getting something that warrants the purchase of additional coverage then I'm just going to go to GC instead so that I can just take the product back to the store and exchange it right there on the spot.

I recently picked up a JamHub (which I love) from MF and bought the 3 year gold coverage. Well, first channel 4 went and now other problems have started creeping up so it's dying a slow painful death.
I called up MF to get it taken care of and get redirected to the 3rd party warranty service they use for the Gold coverage. SO I call them up and the problems begin. No such product exists in their system and they can't begin to process the request until the item is added. This, for some reason, takes up to 10 business days.
With my upcoming vacation I thought we had the perfect opportunity to get it taking care of during the time frame it's not needed. Now the process of getting it fixed won't even begin until I return from vacation and I have no idea how long that will take to get resolved.
What a pain in the arse.

-Kit

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jhorne View Post
Extended warranties are a scam the vast majority of the time. There are some VERY rare exceptions that MAY warrant purchasing one, but musical gear is not one of them.
I agree with you which is why I only get them for things that I are more likely to get warn out just do to use. I have exactly 2 products with an extended warranty, the JamHub and my Line6HD500. Both are very new products without a lot of real world testing, both of which will be getting tons of abuse on my end so I figure the chances of failure are actually very real.
And in the case of the JamHub that is exactly how things are playing out.

-Kit

• Members
61.gif

Moe: "Alright, tell me when I hit the sweet spot."
Homer: "Deeper, you pusillanimous pilsner pusher!"
Moe: "All right, all right."
Homer: "De-fense! Ooh! Ooh! De-fense! Ooh! Ooh!"

62.gif

Moe: "Eh, that's pretty dumb. But, uh..."

63.gif

Homer: "Extended warranty? How can I lose?"
Moe: "Perfect."

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by steve_man View Post
Order from Sweetwater...2 year warranty for FREE...and they pay to ship the item both ways. thumb.gif
+1,000

I have been buying all my (expensive) stuff from Sweetwater recently... I still shop in GC for strings, stands, cables, or SUPER LOW-priced Used gear.

Sweetwater has been nothing but GREAT things since I started purchasing there, they will call you once in a while, but I have develop a good business relationship with my Sales Engineer, to a point that HE knows what I have, what I could use, what I may need, and what are my interests!and the most Important factor.... Sweetwater sends you free candy!!!! poke.gif

wave.gif

Omar thumb.gif

• Members

I never pay the extra. About 98% of problems with a product will manifest themselves right away or within a few days of use. Ask any retail guy about these extra services, insurances, etc. The clerk in many cases makes a premium on these, so they try to sell as many as they can. It's really an insurance scam; one that many fall prey to.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I never pay the extra. About 98% of problems with a product will manifest themselves right away or within a few days of use. Ask any retail guy about these extra services, insurances, etc. The clerk in many cases makes a premium on these, so they try to sell as many as they can. It's really an insurance scam; one that many fall prey to.
Trust me, I know full well that they aren't worth it for the most part. But the few products I have purchased for have actually been worth it.
My first iPod got replaced 4 times (each time upgrading to a newer bigger version) for free thanks to the Best Buy program I bought with it because I knew it was going to be subject to harsh conditions in the camelbak while on my mountainbike (this was back when I crashed a lot).
My Canon Digital Rebel, replaced once repaired twice because I knew it too would be travelling in my camelbak on Cross country rides, downhilling, dirt jumping, etc...
I know the type of wear and tear I will put on equipment and in some cases the additional coverage makes sense for me. If in your eyes that makes me a sucker or a moron then so be it. But so far, the few extended warranties I have purchased have more than paid for themselves.
Now in this case, the item is still covered under the manufacturers warranty so it might very well prove to be a waste of money (although it was basically free when you factor in the discount I received when I made that purchase).

Of course they also tried to talk me into gold coverage on a guitar I ordered and to that I just laughed.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong View Post
I think from now on, any time I'm planning on getting something that warrants the purchase of additional coverage then I'm just going to go to GC instead so that I can just take the product back to the store and exchange it right there on the spot.

I recently picked up a JamHub (which I love) from MF and bought the 3 year gold coverage. Well, first channel 4 went and now other problems have started creeping up so it's dying a slow painful death.
I called up MF to get it taken care of and get redirected to the 3rd party warranty service they use for the Gold coverage. SO I call them up and the problems begin. No such product exists in their system and they can't begin to process the request until the item is added. This, for some reason, takes up to 10 business days.
With my upcoming vacation I thought we had the perfect opportunity to get it taking care of during the time frame it's not needed. Now the process of getting it fixed won't even begin until I return from vacation and I have no idea how long that will take to get resolved.
What a pain in the arse.

-Kit

You do realize this site is associated with Musician's Friend, don't you?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lincoln40 View Post
You do realize this site is associated with Musician's Friend, don't you?
yes. what are they going to do, ban me from shopping there in the future?
And it's really not the fault of MF I'm having these problems, its the 3rd party service they use. And I'm not saying I'll stop shopping at MF either. But what I am saying is that if by some off chance I decide to purchase something else that I will also want extended coverage for then I will just buy from Guitar Center so that I can just walk into the store and be done with it.

• Members
Trust me, I know full well that they aren't worth it for the most part. But the few products I have purchased for have actually been worth it.
My first iPod got replaced 4 times (each time upgrading to a newer bigger version) for free thanks to the Best Buy program I bought with it because I knew it was going to be subject to harsh conditions in the camelbak while on my mountainbike (this was back when I crashed a lot).
My Canon Digital Rebel, replaced once repaired twice because I knew it too would be travelling in my camelbak on Cross country rides, downhilling, dirt jumping, etc...
I know the type of wear and tear I will put on equipment and in some cases the additional coverage makes sense for me. If in your eyes that makes me a sucker or a moron then so be it. But so far, the few extended warranties I have purchased have more than paid for themselves.
Now in this case, the item is still covered under the manufacturers warranty so it might very well prove to be a waste of money (although it was basically free when you factor in the discount I received when I made that purchase).

Of course they also tried to talk me into gold coverage on a guitar I ordered and to that I just laughed.
Well, in your case, you are not a moron or a sucker for getting the extra coverage because you have proved by your lifestyle and experience that this will pay for some items in the end. I would say these were wise choices in your case. Regards, Steadfastly.

• Members

Many, if not all, American Express cards will double the manufacturers warranty for items purchased on their card.

I had an iPod go kaput about 13 months after it was purchased, and AmEx refunded the entire purchase price to me. Took about two weeks for the refund to appear, no third-party warranty company was involved. I make sure to use AmEx for all my major electronics purchases now.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by artiem View Post
Many, if not all, American Express cards will double the manufacturers warranty for items purchased on their card.

I had an iPod go kaput about 13 months after it was purchased, and AmEx refunded the entire purchase price to me. Took about two weeks for the refund to appear, no third-party warranty company was involved. I make sure to use AmEx for all my major electronics purchases now.
Yes, that is one good thing about AmEx. They would even replace and item if you broke it accidentally. I'm not sure if that is still part of their policy or not.

• Members

Ugh, it just gets better and better. I just called the warranty service to see if I can finally get the claim started only to find out that i have to contact JamHub directly since its still under the manufacturer's warranty. Umm.. why couldn't someone tell me this 2 weeks ago when I first called. Or for that matter, why didn't MF just replace it when I first called them since it was within the 45 day return window. But when I called them they redirected me to the warranty provider since I have "Gold Coverage". I have a feeling this might be one of those cases where the extended warranty is definitely not worth the price and will be lodging a complaint with MF and try and get the extended warranty refunded.

I definitely should have just called JamHub directly. A quick call this morning and it sounds like they will send out a replacement unit promptly.

-Kit

• 2 years later...
  • Members

That sucks. You were basically penalized for HAVING the gold coverage. Like you said, had you not had the extended Gold coverage, MF would have sent you a replacement within the first 45 days. Now you are stuck in a perpetual warranty he said, she said revolving door with no way out.

Did Musician's Friend ever refund you for the price of the Gold coverage?

Ugh, it just gets better and better. I just called the warranty service to see if I can finally get the claim started only to find out that i have to contact JamHub directly since its still under the manufacturer's warranty. Umm.. why couldn't someone tell me this 2 weeks ago when I first called. Or for that matter, why didn't MF just replace it when I first called them since it was within the 45 day return window. But when I called them they redirected me to the warranty provider since I have "Gold Coverage". I have a feeling this might be one of those cases where the extended warranty is definitely not worth the price and will be lodging a complaint with MF and try and get the extended warranty refunded.

I definitely should have just called JamHub directly. A quick call this morning and it sounds like they will send out a replacement unit promptly.

-Kit

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1 View Post
That sucks. You were basically penalized for HAVING the gold coverage. Like you said, had you not had the extended Gold coverage, MF would have sent you a replacement within the first 45 days. Now you are stuck in a perpetual warranty he said, she said revolving door with no way out.

Did Musician's Friend ever refund you for the price of the Gold coverage?
After Steve hooked me up I just moved on and never really did any followup with Musicians Friend. The big take away from me is that in the future if I'm getting something where I might actually want an extended warranty to just get it at GC so I can then just take it back to the store if something happens and not have to deal with calling,mailing, etc...

-Kit

Archived