Obligatory NGD photos. PRS SE Singlecut

billybilly

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
That's just crazy cold, can't imagine. I saw on TV once, I man threw up a small glass of boiled water and it had frozen before it hit the ground, maybe that was you?
Nope, not me... I used to pour an ice rink in my front yard when my kids were younger though...

ice-rink-2002-12-11.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
That's just crazy cold, can't imagine. I saw on TV once, I man threw up a small glass of boiled water and it had frozen before it hit the ground, maybe that was you?
Nope, not me... I used to pour an ice rink in my front yard when my kids were younger though...

ice-rink-2002-12-11.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IRG

View Post

Nice singlecut! I've been thinking of the Catanese model lately, which I think is a thicker model, like an actual LP. The toy-like reference scares me though, last thing I really want in my hands, and I had a "natural" Tremonti model before, and I would kinda agree with that assessment. It did play nice though, but a pickup swap would have done wonders.

Don't confuse "light weight" and "toy - like". I had an SE Soapbar singlecut a while back and while it was light, it was also positively alive and resonant. Sounded great. Shoulda kept it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IRG

View Post

Nice singlecut! I've been thinking of the Catanese model lately, which I think is a thicker model, like an actual LP. The toy-like reference scares me though, last thing I really want in my hands, and I had a "natural" Tremonti model before, and I would kinda agree with that assessment. It did play nice though, but a pickup swap would have done wonders.

Don't confuse "light weight" and "toy - like". I had an SE Soapbar singlecut a while back and while it was light, it was also positively alive and resonant. Sounded great. Shoulda kept it.

• Members

Thanks for all your responses. I've played her to the point at which my hands are sore and it checks all the boxes except the pickups. A bit too cutting for this old fart but they do cut and crunch well, albeit lack clarity when doing so. I have a similar guitar (SZ320) with BG Darks and they rock but I'll try the Tone Zone (dimarzio) and a 59 (duncan) I have on hand in the next day or two and see how I go.

• Members

Btw, like someone already said, the top is real and not fake, it's just not a thick top but a veneer which is just thinner. There are brands out there that use a foto flame which is fake but not these. You won't find two of these tops that are the same.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DARKMETL/

View Post

Btw, like someone already said, the top is real and not fake, it's just not a thick top but a veneer which is just thinner. There are brands out there that use a foto flame which is fake but not these. You won't find two of these tops that are the same.

Good to know, thanks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DARKMETL/ View Post

WHich brands do use a foto top then? I know Agile on their upper AL models are specific with a thick maple cap (thicker than a veneer even), my Epi Tribute LP also uses a thicker maple cap. I wonder if the Epi LP Standard Plus models use real maple - I think so, and this has probably been discussed ad nauseum. I've just never heard who actually uses the fake foto tops, sort of curious, and would want to avoid.

Archived