Pedalboard overhaul: Boss GT-10 vs. Vox Tonelab LE

Big Pimpin' T

• Members

GT-10 all the way, i was in the exact same boat as you, i had a pedalboard that had about 3 grand worth of stuff on it, so it was a big deal for me to move from that to a mfx unit (which i swore i would never go to).

The GT-10 has really blown me away play live, whethere its going direct into a nice p.a. at church or playing out live with two tube amps running stereo. i think it sounds light years above my pedalboard simply for the fact you can match levels all at once and set a master bpm. I chose the boss because of their reputation, i've never known of a piece of Boss gear to fail, ever.

i am however getting a seperate drive/s again, to my ears nothing can match an analog drive, same as a tube amp.

I have a GT10 and I just love it.

P1161289.jpg

I play it into one of these

P1161285.jpg

or into one of these

P1161287.jpg

or one of these

P1161290.jpg

and they all sound great, but mostly by dialing back all of the amp's native effects and letting the Boss do the talking. It hsa an insanely large number of patches (sound models) and you can make your own exotic tone with a few tweaks. It's entirely possible that there are better pedals or processors in one specific area or another, but I seriously doubt there's anything as good across the board in a single package. And it's not even all that expensive. What's not to like ;)

• Members

I like the Tonelab. It is certainly more limited as far as what effects you have in what order, and which effects can be combined with which other effects. The GT10 seems tops in that regard. A friend of mine has the GT8 and there are lots of decent tones in there. I've only noodled with a GT10 and certainly wouldn't say I've experienced it, but once you tweak around with the Tonelab, there are just scads and scads of organic, realistic, usable tones in there.

I'd like to think their next step forward will focus more on having more control over which effects can be used together and such.

I think they are both outstanding overall though. I'd try to check them out personally if at all possible. The Tonelab is probably more approachable to someone less technically inclined, but anyone should be able to dial in decent tones on either box.

• Members

I like the Tonelab. It is certainly more limited as far as what effects you have in what order, and which effects can be combined with which other effects. The GT10 seems tops in that regard. A friend of mine has the GT8 and there are lots of decent tones in there. I've only noodled with a GT10 and certainly wouldn't say I've experienced it, but once you tweak around with the Tonelab, there are just scads and scads of organic, realistic, usable tones in there.

I'd like to think their next step forward will focus more on having more control over which effects can be used together and such.

I think they are both outstanding overall though. I'd try to check them out personally if at all possible. The Tonelab is probably more approachable to someone less technically inclined, but anyone should be able to dial in decent tones on either box.

You make some good points, and invite some interesting questions.

I personally think the Vox LE is as good a multi-effects unit as one can find. BUT, it has limits: it's more like having a good amp along with good effects. You could play it through a PA system and fool a lot of the audience into thinking you are playing through a classic amp. Line 6 units offer more options, but they're more complicated to use: when I get to the point where I need that much versatility (e.g., for recording - I'll settle for real amps and effects every time when playing live), I'd rather go through a laptop with something like Guitar Rig - Kontrol Edition.

All that said, for some reason I always find it easier to dial in the sounds I want using a real amp and pedals. That's probably because I don't use any weird effects.

• Members

I've yet to hear a boss distortion that entirely satisfied what I look for in a good distortion. On that alone I'd say go with the Vox.

I had an ME-50. It was spectacular for most things, especially the modulation styled effects. What it really was lacking in was in any distortion that didn't sound terrible. It could have been my amp, which at the time was a Laney VC30, similar to a Vox AC30 which isn't really a gain monster amp anyways.

• 4 years later...

Archived