Pawn shop tips...How to haggle.

twofoolsaminute

• Members

This.. I hate the whole bull{censored} act in a pawn shop. "Here is my money, this is what I offer, shall I start walking now?" And don't waffle. Make your real offer. Don't say "well, what about 20 more?" because that tells them you a) want it badly and b) have more in your pocket.

Good advice. There's no need for acting lessons. Just make your offer and wait for the response. Make your offer a bit lower than what you are are willing to pay in case he counters but there's no need for negotiating acrobatic skills. They do this every day. Be pleasant but businesslike. This is a businees transaction, not friendship. Don't be insulted by anything he says. Just go about your business.

EG

• Members

Recently, I was in need of a Line 6 Spyder III 15 watt amp (not for me, but for a kid to use). I had a time dead-line, and I live in an area without a major music retailer.

I was passing a pawn shop and stopped-in to see what they had. Sure enough, they had one.

The price was $75. Now this was about a month or so ago, right on the cusp of when the "III" series were being blown-out and the new "IV" series were already in the stores. Brand new "III" series 15 watt models were going for about $65.

I told the pawn broker:"if you go Online, you'll see that these are available for $65, new. I'm going to be driving to Los Angeles tomorrow, were I will surely be able to buy one for that amount, but in the interest of saving a little time, I'll pay you $60, for your used amp".

His answer: "No".

Now, this guy probably knows his business better than I do, and so I gotta think that these guys must actually sell this stuff to someone--even if their prices are out of line with the market.

I didn't buy from him (got the item at a blow-out price at an Orange county GC).

• Members

X amount *pull out cash outta your pocket* right here right now out the door. if they dont take it walk out the door.

always be nice. they will return the politness

be a regular, if they know what youre looking for and you have made some purcheses there you would be amazed at the deals you can get when they call you up and say "you were looking for this we have one" good guy price is FTW

• Members

around here, the shop that actually has good stuff wont deal at all.

and they have had the same stuff for years.

they have a gibson m3 (superstrat) that caught my eye. but they wont budge. Its been there 10 yrs.

no price tags on guitars you just ask and they make up a number.

• Members

I used to work for an electronic security company and we had a couple of pawnshops as clients.

At one, they kept a old double-barreled shotgun leaning behind the counter and I noticed that the hammers were cocked. I presume it was loaded.

I was always afraid that I'd be walking by it and it would fall to the floor and discharge.

• Members

just be matter of fact about it. casually bring up the item and say "will you take $x for that?" and if they decline, just say thanks and walk.

This is what I usually do.

I find that most of the time, they wont go more than 20% below what they are asking. If I know something has been hanging on their wall for weeks, I might offer a little less than 75% of their asking price.

The fact that the pawnshops I frequent have hundreds of guns on the wall, including a couple next to the cash register, keeps me from getting in arguments over price ;)

• 3 years later...
  • Members

The most important thing that I've found that works, is to get to know the pawnshop owner. I've spent years getting to know the owners,and get the know the mgrs. Some mgrs. last a few months or a few years, and then you must start over with the new guy. It takes time, but you've got to buy stuff no matter how small to let them know you're not a tire kicker. I happen to be a salesman in the glass industry, so i offer to give them KILLER deals on stuff they might need. If they break glass in the display cases or break glass in the storefront, I can really help them out. I have helped quite a few out in this manner, and it's gone a LONG way, It really comes down to getting to know these people and stop by on a regular basis.

Here's some deals I've scored in the last 5 yrs.

'66 Fender MIA Black P-Bass w/OHSC  ($140.71)

'74 Fender MIA Sunburst Jazz Bass w/ HSC ($64.64)

'79 Fender MIA Butterscotch P-Bass w/ OHSC ($260)

'79 Fender MIA Black P-Bass w/ HSC ($180)

'89 Fender MIA Silver Metallic "Longhorn" Jazz Bass w/OHSC ($315)

'90 Fender MIJ '57 RI Vintage White P-Bass w/ HSC ($125)

'95 Larrivee D-05 Dreadnaught w/ OHSC ($219)

'03 Fender MIM "Special Ed." Natural Ash Jazz Bass w/ HSC ($115)

'98 USA Parkery Nifefly ($180)

'05 Hughes & Kettner Triamp MK II head ($250)

'11 PRS SE 245 Sunburst ($236)

• Members

I agree that patience plays a big role.

I think some people might remember my score last year. I would pop into a local pawn shop from time to time to check out their guitars. 

One day i saw a gorgeous blue bc rich mockingbird on the wall for $350. I was sure it was one of the imports (which is still a good deal). But couldn't do $350 at the time. The area was not one where i knew someone would buy that thing so i waited a few weeks checking in periodically. 

Finally i got serious and offered them 275, they countered with $300 plus the hard case (a brilliant G&G custom case). Took the guitar home to find a Bernie Rico Jr. signature on the back of the neck and with the help of some people here found out it was a custom shop mockingbird. Sold it on ebay later for $1350.

The reason this happened was because the people in the shop had absolutely no clue, in fact i saw an employee look at a guitar someone had brought in and call someone and describe the guitar over the phone to see how much he should offer the guy...

• Members

skipstar59 wrote:

Here's some deals I've scored in the last 5 yrs.

'66 Fender MIA Black P-Bass w/OHSC  ($140.71)

'74 Fender MIA Sunburst Jazz Bass w/ HSC ($64.64)

'79 Fender MIA Butterscotch P-Bass w/ OHSC ($260)

'79 Fender MIA Black P-Bass w/ HSC ($180)

'89 Fender MIA Silver Metallic "Longhorn" Jazz Bass w/OHSC ($315)

'90 Fender MIJ '57 RI Vintage White P-Bass w/ HSC ($125)

'95 Larrivee D-05 Dreadnaught w/ OHSC ($219)

'03 Fender MIM "Special Ed." Natural Ash Jazz Bass w/ HSC ($115)

'98 USA Parkery Nifefly ($180)

'05 Hughes & Kettner Triamp MK II head ($250)

'11 PRS SE 245 Sunburst ($236)

I had a thread on show your best $1000 guitar collection.

I think you won :)

BTW I did ok and none of my good deals have been from pawnshows and I've tried for years.  Still have not bought a singe guitar from a pawn.

Archived