Anyone upgrade a PRS Tremonti SE?

Ramm

• Members

Hey -

Just wondering if anyone has a PRS Tremonti SE and if so, have they thrown any type of upgrade at it. I bought mine thinking I would unload it after awhile but, I love the way it plays and feels so I'm gonna keep it.

I've read about a couple of upgrades to make the guitar more solid like, tailstop pieces and locking tuners. I'm thinking about taking my "screaming demon" out of my ibanez and putting it in PRS or maybe purchasing the satch combo of the PAF's Fred and Joe Humbuckers.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• Members

I would upgrade that in the following way.

1. Take the guitar out of its case

2. Take it outside

3. Throw it in the trash can

4. Let the garbage man take it away

5. Go buy a real guitar.

Ok, I know this is sarcastic but I couldn't resist. I wish no ill will on you or your guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by jec

2. Take it outside

5. Go buy a real guitar.

Ok, I know this is sarcastic but I couldn't resist. I wish no ill will on you or your guitar.

ROTF! .. uhm I can't do that.. someday when I grow up I'll get a real guitar, I'm seriously thinking about making my own custom from warmoth ; )

• Members

Well, since you like the way it plays and intend to keep it, I'd throw the new pickups in it. Why rip them out of the Ibanez? Then you'll just need to put new pickups in the Ibanez. Get something different.

• Members

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is there actually something you don't like about it or something wrong with it? I don't even bother pricing PRS's, so just feel blessed that you have it. I don't remember right of, is that the more LP looking guitar Tremonti uses and does he actually use this model stock or is Mark's altered? I think Mark Tremonti has one of the greatest guitar sounds ever. What pickups are currently in the guitar. I ask because I wonder if I can pickup some elements of his sound, starting with the guitar. By the way, I am about to replace some pu's in my Epi LP with the DiMarzio Fred and PAF Joe and I'll let you know how it goes.

• Members

I played some Tremonti SE's when I was guitar shopping and was impressed with them. However I wound up getting a PRS Santana SE instead. I don't know if you'll find this info helpful, but here's the upgrades I did on mine. I swapped out the stock pickups for Seymour Duncans - a Jazz in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge. I had them installed with 3 way mini toggles for switching between single coil, series, and parallel. I also installed a set of Planet Waves locking tuners. This is now the best sounding guitar I own, including Gibson Les Paul, Fender Strat and Tele - all with Duncan, DiMarzio, and Lace Sensor pickups. The Duncan Jazz in the neck has awesome tone and clarity, and the coil tap setup has made a huge difference and gives me a wide variety of sounds - I highly recommend this mod. In my opinion, your Tremonti SE would benefit from the upgrades.

• Members

Hey Tone.. the SE is a po' mans PRS. :thu: This guitar was made in Korea and was $450.00 new. The craftsmanship is pretty good, the only problem so far is the stop-tailpiece is starting to tarnish from playing (which is not a bad thing I guess) This is a copy of the singlecut he uses, his singlecut model uses pickups him and PRS designed.

Here a couple of pics.

RamGuitar4.jpgRamGuitar1.jpgRamGuitar2.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Karma1

I played some Tremonti SE's when I was guitar shopping and was impressed with them. However I wound up getting a PRS Santana SE instead. I don't know if you'll find this info helpful, but here's the upgrades I did on mine. I swapped out the stock pickups for Seymour Duncans - a Jazz in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge. I had them installed with 3 way mini toggles for switching between single coil, series, and parallel. I also installed a set of Planet Waves locking tuners. This is now the best sounding guitar I own, including Gibson Les Paul, Fender Strat and Tele - all with Duncan, DiMarzio, and Lace Sensor pickups. The Duncan Jazz in the neck has awesome tone and clarity, and the coil tap setup has made a huge difference and gives me a wide variety of sounds - I highly recommend this mod. In my opinion, your Tremonti SE would benefit from the upgrades.

Thanks Karma1 I appreciate the info. Who did your wiring?

• Members

Ramm - the wiring on my guitar was done by Matt Griblin of Griblin Engineering (www.griblinengineering.com). He's located here in the San Francisco Bay area, but has customers all around the country. Also has some cool custom guitar electronics products available on his website. By the way, I notice you're from Philly - that's my hometown, although I've been out here for about 20 years. Give my regards to South St. - my old hangout.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Hi,

I just got the pickups out of one of these guitars and I am going to fit them to a cheap guitar I have. However, I do not know which is which. The pickups Tremonti SE pickups are identical, to me, other than the marking on the back. One is marked F, the other is marked R. Does anyone know which is which?

Thanks for any help.

softmick999

• 6 years later...
  • Members

You get what you pay for... I replaced the original pickups with a pair of Seymour Duncan P-Rails: they sound great. The Triple Shot mounting rings do much better than push-pull knobs. My least favorite sound has been the the humbucking/series setting - but I get to like that more every day. I plan to replace the slightly buzzing wraparound bridge with an adjustible wraparound. Tone Pros, or Duesenberg seem to be the best prospects - the PRS version is much too expensive. Eventually, the tuning keys will also be changed: Grovers, or a set of locking tuners that are around here somewhere. The original pickups would be fine if all you ever did was heavy metal solos: the P-Rails humbucking/series setting takes care of that. 

• Members

Karma1 wrote:

Love your pickup choices, I find both exceptional in a Les Paulish guitar.  I tried the custom custom in my strat and it didn't cut it, must just love mahogany.

• Members

I've found the tuning machines to be acceptable.  Never had any trouble with the standard wrap-around tailpiece, though, I wouldn't mind an aluminium tailpiece instead like they had on 50s Gibsons.

• Members

softmick999 wrote:

Hi,

I just got the pickups out of one of these guitars and I am going to fit them to a cheap guitar I have. However, I do not know which is which. The pickups Tremonti SE pickups are identical, to me, other than the marking on the back. One is marked F, the other is marked R. Does anyone know which is which?

Thanks for any help.

softmick999

Get out your OHM meter, set it to 2000k, connect one line to Ground (shield or black) and the other to Red... the one that reads around 8 to 9 is the Neck, the one that reads 11 to 12 is the Bridge.

• Members

jec wrote:

2. Take it outside

5. Go buy a real guitar.

I with the Facepalm still worked...

Archived