Doubleneck Guitars -- Playability

curseoftruth

• Members

The Epi doubleneck I have is really not that heavy and it's pretty well balanced. I wouldn't want to play more than 2 or songs in a row on it but it isn't bad.

The 12 string neck is a little wider than the 6 string neck and that took a little getting used to.

• Members

For all those times I was playing on stage in front of a packed stadium or colliseum and I had to immediately jump from my delicate 12 string intro's and into my soaring lead riffs, there was no viable alternative to a twin neck guitar! :thu:

:bor:wake up Steve, wake Up!

Oh yeah!

Nevermind. :o

• Members

Years ago I owned an SG Copy- it was definately a different beast- After much harrassment from my bandmates I ended up trading it (for a Telecaster) Nontheless- I wish I would've kept it- I miss it now! As a matter of fact last week I was in Guitar Center and the OLP Doubleneck guitar was there- it really was quite impressive and not to mention that it was beautiful- I am thinking about getting one......eventually! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I also have a policy. If a woman is over 130lbs she can hit the road and not look back.
:D

Yeah, didn't you once say that you had an issue with your first wife gaining a bunch of weight after you were married?

-Attila

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I also have a policy. If a woman is over 130lbs she can hit the road and not look back.

I don't know about that -- my wife weighs 145 lbs, is 5 foot 9 inches and is pretty damn skinny -- and had our kid 8 years ago. Before the kid, she was 140 and filled a bikini in a really nice way (thus the kid!! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Attila

Yeah, didn't you once say that you had an issue with your first wife gaining a bunch of weight after you were married?

-Attila

First wife, she was fired. :)

Originally posted by curseoftruth

I don't know about that -- my wife weighs 145 lbs, is 5 foot 9 inches and is pretty damn skinny -- and had our kid 8 years ago. Before the kid, she was 140 and filled a bikini in a really nice way (thus the kid!!

Oh yeah....I forgot....tall women rock! Weight does not apply there! I dated a woman that was 6'0 and man was it a blast! :)

• Members

My brother and I had a duo back in the early 80's. I played a white Ibanez 6/12 doubleneck. He played a white Ibanez 6/4-string bass doubleneck. We had a Univox rhythm machine and we both sang. We worked all the time at every sleazy club and service organization in central Pennsylvania.

I wanna tell you that after the second hour of a four hour gig, I felt like I had been digging ditches all day. The weight of that thing pulling down on my shoulder was excruciating. And this is when I was in my early thirties. I can't even envision attempting this today.

The guitars sounded great, though, and the visual aspect was really cool, especially when we were both wearing our powder blue leisure suits with wide collared floral-patterned shirts and white platform shoes.

Now that was a time when musicians knew how to dress for a gig!

• Members

I have a Dano 12/baritone double and it's a little heavier than a Les Paul. I have it wired with a TRS jack so I can run both necks simultaneously if needed. I've tweaked both necks so they play beautifully. It's a hollow-body made of masonite, which is why it's lighter than most doubles, but all the hardware makes it a bit neck heavy.

I haven't gigged with it yet and usually play sitting down - the body shape is well suited for that. I've tried it with a normal strap and while it works, I'm going to be ordering a Slider Dual Shoulder Strap once I've got my set worked out and I start gigging.

It's got a great 'ga-ga' effect which is great for getting peoples attention.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by MDLMUSIC

The guitars sounded great, though, and the visual aspect was really cool, especially when we were both wearing our powder blue leisure suits with wide collared floral-patterned shirts and white platform shoes.

Now that was a time when musicians knew how to dress for a gig!

You must scan and post a pic!!

• Members

189_full.jpg

I have been gassing for this guitar for the longest time....but then I keep thinking to myself... its less than $600.

so.. its 2 $300 guitars pretty much which raises quality concerns...but then again.... less than $600 is almost irresistable. That way i can play guitar AND bass on the toilet.

But then again..... are double necks playable sitting down?

I know they dont feel great on a muscleless wussy's shoulder STANDING UP..

I bet they hurt your shoulders sitting down too from raising them to play the bass guitar.

• Members

I played doublenecks as my primary axe for years. I'm 5'-6" tall & 130 pds. Never had a problem with extended playing. Due to lightweight doublenecks (the steinberger spirit double is conciderably heavier then any other I've played). The ones I've owned & rather liked where SG type. Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez, and a custom fenderish one. All these weighed around 12 to 12 & half pounds. Less then some single neck guitars & basses.

Playability: Yeah you gotta position it so lower neck is little lower then you'd position a single neck one. Which then puts the upper neck a little higherthen you'd position a single neck one.

Tone: Has never found a excellent sounding in both necks doubleneck. Maybe in one neck but not both. I think it has something to do with the extra body mass (Is more then even the BC Rich Beast bass) and extra mass of 2nd neck. Best I've found is excellent tone for one neckand good to allmost very good for 2nd neck.

A doubleneck is more then the convianiance of two guitars in one. Itsan inetrplay doable between a single yet double instrument. Not unlike that one yet two people in some very close people relationships. If you happen to play and own & bass + guitar doubleneck you can learn, develope & become aware of the interrealtion and cross mixing of bass & guitar stuff possible in a way that no single neck bass + single neck guitar can ever give you imo.

While the steinberger doubleneck balances extremely well it has 3 major problems to it. 1: excesive weight with its maple body. 2: weak souding bass compared to single neck basses. This is due to both all maple body plus maple neck + pups that just cant compete with regular bass pups. The steinberger bass pups are more like guitar humbuckersand sized lie them rather then normal size bass soapbar pups. 3: Unless you get the string adapters to allow you to use normal single ball strings you cant use anything but musicyo's strings. Cause no other companiesdouble ball end strings will fit right. You end up with 1 or more or the other brands string set unable to reach from nut to the bridge holders with them cranked back enough to secure the string. Musicyos strings are very GHS sounding, so they are good sound wise if you like ghs like I do.

Best doublenecks I've played & owned where epiphones setneck (NOT bolton) doubleneck SGs 6/12 type.

• 7 years later...

Archived