Doodle of the day (like old times)

J Backlund

• Members

Worked this one up last week, refined it a bit, I will fix some details over the weekend and will start a tight line-art rendition and full color illustration of it. Until further notice, It's the JB-1500 'Neptoon'. Construction of a playable concept prototype will begin almost immediately and hopefully will be displayed at Winter NAMM  2014 alongside the JB Marx 6 and JB-700 'Katalina' models that are currently at the paint shop. This prototype will have a maple fretboard with elliptical black marker inlays (as in the 2nd image). The overall styling is what I'm going to define as 'Space-Deco'. The guitar will be colorful, with a lot of nice contrasting textures from a combination of aluminum, stainless plate, natural maple, and plastic materials. The headstock face will match the body paint color. Most of the specific components and electronics have yet to be determined, though I expect to use a trio of lipstick single coil pickups in the prototype and a non-trem bridge. again, keep in mind that the drawing below is not 100\% finalized, and things may (will) be added, omitted, changed and 'tweaked' before any wood chips actually fly.

Neptoon.jpg

• Members

stormin1155 wrote:

Cool design!  I like the way the bottom side of the headstock follows the curves of the bottom side of the body.  How would it look if you put a curve on the top side of the headstock to follow the top of the body?

Initially, I made a sketch of the headstock with a curve on the top but it does some strange things to the tuner spacing as it arcs out and downward, not that that would be a huge technical problem, but I wanted the strings to pass over the nut in as straight of a line to the tuner post as possible. I'll reconsider the idea this weekend though, and see how it looks.

• Members

1001gear wrote:

Love the Klein look. The "space deco" not so much. Would gas copiously for plain SSS or H H models. Tuner readout on the headstock edge would be cool.

For better or worse, It is consistent with my past designs though, and definately has a family resemblance to my other work. Reserve your final judgement on it until you see a much more realistic color illustration of the design.

Nothing I create will appeal to everyone, or even most, but I have a good time coming up with this stuff, and if I like the end result, I'm good with it.

• Members

PurpleTrails wrote:

I really like the lines on that.  I'm normally not that big of a fan of your designs (kind of think you try to incorporate too many visual elements and they end up looking kind of busy), but this one looks pretty clean.

Probably not after it gets some color and texture on it.

Interesting perception of my guitar designs though This one, IMO, is more loaded with visual gimmickry than my JBD-100 and 400 are and includes speed lines, porthole vents, a ribbed center section, metal and plastic faceplates, a three-slotted metal 'fin' grooved into the body's top, and probably a two-tone paint finish.

About the only thing missing might be a complete mother-of-pearl cladding of the main body ala Italia guitars.

I kind of thought that this one was one pimped-out mofo.  :smiley-cool05:

Archived