Levinson Blade?

newmaxnew

• Members

Anyone know anything about levinson blade guitars?

I see one for sale but I can't find much info about the guitar. I know some were made in Switzerland, some in England, and I think some in Japan.

The guitar I am looking at appears to be the California model and it has the large Blade logo on the head stock. It looks like it has a wilkenson or similar trem on it.

Anyone know where the models with the big logo were made? Are these things good playable guitars?

Max

• Members

I use to own a Levinson Blade California model. Pics below....

blade1.jpg

blade2.jpg

I traded it because I did not like the neck profile, but that was not a reflection of the quality, tone, or playablity of the guitar. In all those areas it was a great guitar that was every bit the equal to a MIA Fender. My guitar was MIJ and was really well made. It is actually very hard to get any info on the guitars. If you have the serial number you can email Levinson and they will give you info on the model and build of the guitar.

I was impressed with the guitar and had I not gotten such a great trade offer I probably would have kept the Blade. They make really nice stuff! But I needed a killer acoustic and that was what i was offered in trade (a $1100.00 acoustic) so I couldn't refuse. Definitely look into it.

As far as I know, Gary Levinson still owns the company and they are still headquartered in Switzerland.

• Members

Musicians Friend used to sell them at one time. If I remember they were around $900-$1000 new. However it looks like thay changed production locations a few times.

Max

Yeah, we had a couple when I worked for MF. Awesome guitars in cool finishes. If you want a straty guitar, you can't go wrong. FAR superior to almost anything I have seen from Fender.

• Members

Update, I bought the Levinson Blade guitar with case for $485 on Ebay from some pawn shop. It looks to be in real good condition. The VSC tone circuit should be pretty cool also.

I will give a little review when the guitar arrives.

Max

• Members

All the reports I have read, on each model sounds great.

I always fancied one. I have never seen one in the flesh . Dont know what they do for distribution in the UK. They seem rarer than Yamaha which is saying something.:cool:

• Members

I've only seen two of them, but were used at the same shop in Rhode Island. Both were on consignment from the same guy that supposedly regularly gigged with them. They were pretty beat up but both played absolutely like a million bucks. Only plugged the strat in and it sounded pretty decent, but not super boutiquey great stratty, but very decent.

• Members

UPS says out for delivery and my wife is at home today so she can sign for it when it arrives as long as she can hear them knock.

If I get it tonight I'll right up a first impressions review and then take it to the Friday/Saturday gig this weekend and then write up a full review based on two 4 hour sets of playing it.

Max

• Members

UPS says out for delivery and my wife is at home today so she can sign for it when it arrives as long as she can hear them knock.

If I get it tonight I'll right up a first impressions review and then take it to the Friday/Saturday gig this weekend and then write up a full review based on two 4 hour sets of playing it.

Max

If you are a strat guy at all, you will love it.

Here are mine.....

• Members

OK, the guitar arrived and it was packaged well.

I gave it a little inspection and found only a few minor scratches in the clear coat on the back of the guitar. The guitar looks great it is a dark blue burst that looks almost black in darker light.

I take off the strings so I can polish the frets and oil the fingerboard. Oh no! After taking all of the string off I notice that the fretboard has begun to seperate from the neck. The glue bond is gone from the nut down to about the 5th fret. The good thing is that it is a clean seperation, there is no lacquer on the fingerboard sides so it doesn't look bad. It looks like a cheap and easy fix.

I take the guitar to a local shop and they tell me that for $25 they will glue the fingerboard back and be careful not to get any glue in the truss rod channel.

I should get the guitar back on Thursday this week.

Max

• Members

Looks like a Texas Deluxe or Special. The California Series has a different pickguard and rear body rout as stated by cratz2. It's pretty much the same as my honey colored guitar posted above.

Wait, I'm confused. Is the guitar in the chair the one you bought?

• Members

I am hoping the seller will refund $25 to cover the repair( I want lose much sleep if he doesn't since it is only $25).

The fingerboard issue would not be noticable until you removed the strings. The tension over the nut was holding that part of the fingerboard down flat.

I should have it back and have time to set it up in time for some gigs this weekend.

Max

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

newmaxnew wrote:

I see one for sale but I can't find much info about the guitar. I know some were made in Switzerland, some in England, and I think some in Japan.

Actually thats all wrong and all right.

They were designed and specced by an English dude, mainly manufactured in Japan with some assembly in Japan, and then setup and shipped from Swizerland.

I've never heard a bad thing about one

• Members

Ratae Coritanorum wrote:

newmaxnew wrote:

Actually thats all wrong and all right.

They were designed and specced by an English dude, mainly manufactured in Japan with some assembly in Japan, and then setup and shipped from Swizerland.

I've never heard a bad thing about one

You certainly wont hear me saying anything bad about mine.

I would take it over any Fender Tele I have ever tried.

P1010235.JPGP1010242.JPG

Archived